Weird noise while reversing

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey guys, does anyone else get this on their car. If I reverse and step on the break all of a sudden it makes a weird crank noise, like humm how do I describe this, it sounds like a pipe hitting another but only for a sec, got any idea?

actually i get that when reversing, its like a clunk noise, as if its a joint or suomething... duno what it is, must b sum1 here who knws?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have the same problem, while reversing and hitting the break. Especially it comes more often while doing the same when going back. Any ideas from others ?

I'm guessing,but could it just be the brakes themselves ?
When braking in reverse,you're asking the calipers/pads to work in the opposite direction to their normal use,so even the tiniest amount of play or float will cause a clunk ?
Bike brakes certainly do this when wheeling them backwards.

I'll tell you a wee story about noises when reversing,which is alarming.
I sold a Mk3 Golf gti to a friend and he phoned me saying that he'd reported a 'whirring noise' when reversing (wheels turned) and the main VW dealer told him a new gearbox was required.
He was angry with me.
I quickly nipped round and showed him the problem,which I identified immediately.
My Golf Gti should not have been fitted with mudflaps at the front,but it was.
When you turned the wheels in reverse,the tread rubbed against the mudflaps and made a whirring noise.
He was even more angry then,but not with me...with the dealer.
He created merry hell that a mechanic was willing to sanction a new £800 gearbox for nothing more than tyres rubbing against a plastic mudflap !!!

My S3 done the same, just after I had the rear discs and pads changed. Although it only happend twice.

It has been a few months now and has not made a sound. Still drives, reverses and brakes fine so don't think it was anything too serious!!

(fingers crossed!!)

My car has had similar clunking sound when reversing. It first started during the winter just gone, and seemed to occur when you'd first engaged the clutch and the car started to move. Seemed to be more reproducable if the car was on a hill, and you were reversing up it.

After a week or so of it happening intermittently, I booked it into the dealer. Typically, it didn't do for them, and didn't seem to do it since. I'll wait and see if it happens again this winter, could be temperature related.

AL

vauxhalls used to do it all the time with the handbrake but i've not heard about it on audi's. It sounds like the culprit though.