Mpg gauge information

joebickerton89

Reaction score
hey everyone a bit of a weird question but how often do your mpg gauges go up and down? i just done a 30mile round trip with mostly cruising but on the way home giving it some stick just to see if it changed but it didnt :/ and it didnt change at all apart from going up .1 where as i think it should be changing up or down every 5minutes or less wether it be going up or down but it takes like 20minutes if im constantly driving to change :/ any ideas?

ive reset it mate and it seems back to how it should be. it seemed to of got stuck before :/ would what it was reading on the trip computer of affected the real mpg of the engine?

Its the 'average mpg' so the more miles you have driven since last reset the more miles you will have to drive in style that would change it to see any impact. It appears to be correct now after resetting as the average is worked out on fewer miles so you see more of a shift with less driving. Its how averages work so the computer was right all along. It wouldnt of impacted the cars running if it had I would be the first to run to my car and hack it so the DIS showed 100mpg :).

Last edited:
if it was the average mpg over 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles then driving another 10.23 miles isn't going to noticeably change the average... your car is fine