Few niggles need a little advice please.

JudderMan

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

Having had the A3 for 3 weeks or so, I've noticed a few things that are bugging me/need sorted if I ever get to look at it in the daylight!

Problem 1
Got a VCDS Lite off eBay, I know this isn't ideal but I just Google'd or searched on here the error codes that aren't shown. I have a dodgy ABS sensor on the front right. Bought both fronts just in case and whipped the wheels off. The FR was impossible to take off (stupid Allen key bolts), and didn't help that man-flu and pitch darkness was upon me, so I gave up. I did notice, with the help of a torch, that the ABS sensor magnet has broken and fragments are on the hub face, which is obviously why the lights are on the dash. The wiring loom to the sensor is all wrapped up in black tape too so I imagine that there have been problems in the past. Would the magnet break up if the disc or hub is warped? Or do you think it's just been a stone smash the end of it?

I'm not too fussed as you can see by my sig I'm not big on ABS cars :) But the MOT is due in Feb so it needs sorted.

Problem 2
After a bit of driving (no silliness as it's always wet) when I come to a stop there is steam/smoke coming from just next to the nearside headlight. After popping the bonnet (in the dark!) I noticed that there seems to be a stain on the top rad pipe but no steam/smoke from that. It doesn't have an oily smell (thank goodness) but not particularly a coolant smell/burning water one either. I can't figure out where it's coming from (again because it's dark). It did overheat last week, not hugely just a little bit past 90 so I topped up with coolant and that's cured it. Still the steam/light smoke happens. I've checked the rad pipes and they look fine, squeezed them and no drips. I don't have a garage so I can't tell if it drops anything after a drive and I haven't been lucky enough to drive it in the dry yet.

Problem 3
Flutter from the dump valve seems like there is a boost leak after a good old search on here. VCDS didn't pick it up at first but did the second time (a few days later), so it sounds intermittent. I can't tell if there is a drop in boost/power as I assume it's been like this since I bought it. If you check my sig for my future plans (after the MOT in Feb) would it be an idea to get a Forge DV or stick with an OEM (how much is one?) for now?

Many thanks in advance...

ps. Oh and when taking the wheels off that had obviously been put on with a gun I have twisted the steel of the tyre wrench!! Grrr. I'll take a pic as it's quite funny.

Get a forge dv they come highly recommended by most on here I had 007 with standard spring inside never had any problems with it.

Thanks buddy. Even with no other mods a 007 is OK? I'm not planning on getting it mapped until April time or whenever I'm happy that it's all running correctly and safe to do so.

I may have just put my foot in it with that advice. Read thread on dv and testing done by badger 5

Seems forge dv not as good as I thought...........

Yeah I saw that but loads of people have them and swear by them. Might just go OEM if it's cheaper and weigh up an aftermarket one further down the line.

just a 007 will be fine makesure you have the correct spring in it for the boost your running it will be the weakest one if your is standard, the first thing i dpne to my car was add a forge dv

With the OEM bosch dv, the diaphragm inside is known to split giving a fluttery sound. Invest in a forge 007p around £50 on eBay. You need one with the correct valve spring.

Valve spring colour coding:
Green: 5-15 PSI *Standard
Yellow: 15-23 PSI
Blue : 23-30 PSI
Red: 30+ PSI

With the OEM bosch dv, the diaphragm inside is known to split giving a fluttery sound. Invest in a forge 007p around £50 on eBay. You need one with the correct valve spring.

Valve spring colour coding:
Green: 5-15 PSI *Standard
Yellow: 15-23 PSI
Blue : 23-30 PSI
Red: 30+ PSI

Cheers, however I can only find a 007 for £113-ish. Where have you seen them for £50. Buying one tomorrow so you have a link then that would be awesome.

Bought a new 007 yesterday and fitted it today. Wow, I must have really been losing boost. It's so turbo-y now. Before it was a very light spool sound now it's strong as hell. I'll rip the old DV open and see how bust the diaphragm is.

Still not sure on the steam out of the grille. Maybe a hairline crack in the radiator? When I open the bonnet the steam goes away. You can only see it after the engine's hot and from the driver seat.