Front wheels spin in the wet

doublem_1

Reaction score
I've noticed this happening often mainly in the wet during normal city driving, pulling away from traffic lights and stops. I can feel a little rumble from the front of the car until the tyres pick up. If I pull away slower it doesn't happen. Now, these tyres have been on the car nearly 2 years when I bought them, embarrassingly yes they are budgets but I had only just bought the car and as such paid for 4 new tyres. They have about 3mm of tread left on the fronts, the back about 5mm.

I have a 1.9tdi Quattro, and the can feel the rear picking up going around bends and roundabouts and I can always remember the wheels never spinning when pulling away in the wet. So my question is, is this purely down the front tyres needing replacing?

is it mapped ? if so, expect it !

ignore that, you have a quattro, i reckon your haldex is not working

The haldex feels like it kicks in during cornering though. Is there a way to tell for sure? The handbrake is definately all the way down!

Fuse on top of the battery box, if that goes you lose ESP and Haldex. RyanS3MTM had the same problem and was amazed when I fixed it for him with just a fuse.

Give it a go. :)

Fuse on top of the battery box, if that goes you lose ESP and Haldex. RyanS3MTM had the same problem and was amazed when I fixed it for him with just a fuse.

Give it a go. :)

In the service book it had a Haldex service about a year before I bought it (2 years back) but I suppose there is no harm in having it done again. I will check all the fuses. Would the one on top the battery cause any lights to appear on the dash if it affects the ESP?

Well on Ryans S3 there was no light on the dash, but there was just no ESP function. The fronts would slip but it was an intermittant fault because of a rotten connection on that fuse box. Cleaned the terminals and put a new fuse in and it was all sorted.

Try doing a bad-*** start in the wet as see if it hooks up :) of you get wheelspin the haldex isn't working.

If you're unsure, try pulling te handbrake up a both to definitely disengage it and try a launch again and compare.

Try doing a bad-*** start in the wet as see if it hooks up :) of you get wheelspin the haldex isn't working.

If you're unsure, try pulling te handbrake up a both to definitely disengage it and try a launch again and compare.

This sounds like the best course of action, didn't think about trying this but it makes sense! Thanks!! I will check the fuses out under the bonnet tomorrow.