Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    2nd Gear

Status

Front wheels spin in the wet

I've noticed this happening often mainly in the wet during normal city driving, pulling away from traffic lights and stops. I can feel a little rumble from the front of the car until the tyres pick up. If I pull away slower it doesn't happen. Now, these tyres have been on the car nearly 2 years when I bought them, embarrassingly yes they are budgets but I had only just bought the car and as such paid for 4 new tyres. They have about 3mm of tread left on the fronts, the back about 5mm.

I have a 1.9tdi Quattro, and the can feel the rear picking up going around bends and roundabouts and I can always remember the wheels never spinning when pulling away in the wet. So my question is, is this purely down the front tyres needing replacing?

2. # ADS
    ADS

colicabcadam
    is it mapped ? if so, expect it !

ignore that, you have a quattro, i reckon your haldex is not working

2nd Gear

Status
    The haldex feels like it kicks in during cornering though. Is there a way to tell for sure? The handbrake is definately all the way down!

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Scan it.
    And give the haldex a service.
    Almost sounds like its recating very slowly. Obv budget tyres wont help at all

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Fuse on top of the battery box, if that goes you lose ESP and Haldex. RyanS3MTM had the same problem and was amazed when I fixed it for him with just a fuse.

Give it a go.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Fuse on top of the battery box, if that goes you lose ESP and Haldex. RyanS3MTM had the same problem and was amazed when I fixed it for him with just a fuse.

Give it a go.
    In the service book it had a Haldex service about a year before I bought it (2 years back) but I suppose there is no harm in having it done again. I will check all the fuses. Would the one on top the battery cause any lights to appear on the dash if it affects the ESP?

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Well on Ryans S3 there was no light on the dash, but there was just no ESP function. The fronts would slip but it was an intermittant fault because of a rotten connection on that fuse box. Cleaned the terminals and put a new fuse in and it was all sorted.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Try doing a bad-ass start in the wet as see if it hooks up of you get wheelspin the haldex isn't working.

If you're unsure, try pulling te handbrake up a both to definitely disengage it and try a launch again and compare.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Try doing a bad-ass start in the wet as see if it hooks up of you get wheelspin the haldex isn't working.

If you're unsure, try pulling te handbrake up a both to definitely disengage it and try a launch again and compare.
    This sounds like the best course of action, didn't think about trying this but it makes sense! Thanks!! I will check the fuses out under the bonnet tomorrow.