Help asap plzzz .... fitting relentless downpipe

IFFY_77

Reaction score
S3 51 plate AMK

Hi just having a problem with the fitting of relentless v3 downpipe has anybody had issues with clearance and space on the prop shaft/drive shaft on 4x4 s3. its literally touching... :-s any help and tips would be of great help thanks guys

This is a **** of a fit im thinking to shave it off abit or its gona touch the prop how much clearance did you have once fitted. are we talking mm's

damit man i feel like blowing the car up man im gona lose it in a min lol. im thinking mayb mine was welded a little out on the bend but just gota play with it u guys are saying. does it touch when u take off now that u guys have fitted it any vibration touching etc thanks.

hey Dave in the process of fitting when it looked like it was touching but its tightened up got abit of room but its like mm's but Mr superkarl says he has the same im just thinking will it knock on quick take offs. Its close did u have the same issue ? just panicked abit lol cheers for the replies guys ... need to take it for a test drive once sports cat is all on n see wat we hear (any knocks bings or bangs) fingers crossed

Mine is also 10mm off touching.....too close for comfort but hasn't caught the propshaft YET.

I actually questioned as to wether it was for a FWD 1.8T only but they are all the same.

Mines between 5-10mm clearance. Its very tight.

Mines tight too! (I mean the DP!) but you'll be ok, I Havnt had it hit yet..

I don't have a propshaft to hit, but I've only about about 5mm above mine before the bulkhead. It's incredibly tight down there for a 3'' pipe

Its Doneee wohooooo downpipe and 200cell cat is on but its ******* down with rain n loads of f-in traffic will give it a good boot tomorrow on the way to work. I can allready feel the difference its flowing nicely not laggy & hesitant on take off like before and sounds awsome thanks for all the feed back guys. clearance was tight but not touching atm seems just fine.

Another little problem has popped up traction control light has mysteriously come on weird cant seem to turn it off. Anybody have this pop up ? dont know why bit confused need to give it a proper check in the light wen im off on sunday.. any ideas

Traction control light has mysteriously come on weird cant seem to turn it off. Anybody have this pop up ? dont know why bit confused need to give it a proper check in the light wen im off on sunday.. any ideas

Depending on how you have done the exhaust, this will be the steering angle sensor telling the ecu its not driving straight and putting it into safe mode, hence why you cannot turn it off manually on the button.

If you have unplugged the steering column and dropped the subframe for access like I did, its very likely the steering wheel has been rotated whilst unplugged, causing the ribbon to read an incorrect steering angle when it was reconnected - without you knowing as the steering wheel only goes in one way but the ribbon is reading every degree in angle wether its connected or not.

The best way to diagnose this is to hook it up to vcds/vag-com, which tells you the angle its at and also a live reading of when the wheel is turned. You could reset the light with a normal obd kit but as soon as you turn the wheel far enough again, the light will re-appear - unless you have already corrected the steering wheel to its correct position.

Hope this helps?

Hi Shaun thanks for the reply sounds like this could be the problem as subframe etc was dropped steering moved. I will have to stick it on vag-com and check that. So is it a simple reset on vag-com or does the steering need to be adjusted back to correct level using vag-com from live reading to correct reading.

Hi Shaun thanks for the reply sounds like this could be the problem as subframe etc was dropped steering moved. I will have to stick it on vag-com and check that. So is it a simple reset on vag-com or does the steering need to be adjusted back to correct level using vag-com from live reading to correct reading.

Use vag-com to tell you what degree the steering wheel is at.

Mine was 360 degree out clockwise as when he got out of the car after releasing the column, he pushed himself up using the steering wheel...hence it doing a revolution before it was connected back up and you would never know until the tcs light appeared.

Once you know the angle its at from vag-com, undo the column and return the wheel to where it should be and reset the ligh on vag-com.....that should be the end of your problem.

Thanks for all the help Shaun ill give it a go next week wen I'm off fingers crossed it sorts it out.

Reactions: ShaunS3
Just had a call from garage for the same thing.. they said it's actually hitting the prop shaft :-( any other tips other than what's mentioned? Sam suggested to loosen engine mounts to move a few mm's. If no luck the standard one will be going back on and relentless will be up for sale.

With how he sounded on the phone.. I think that will go without saying lol.

Sadly it seems that like their manifolds the DP's are suffering from poor quality control too... have heard too many a tale of these not fitting 100%...

Its pretty tight in fairness and doesn't take much for it to be either hitting the tunnel or the prop... don't know if you have any adjustment in the flange bolt holes that would help, normally they are large enough to give a little wiggle room... means its a 2-man job of course to hold the DP in the sweet spot while the other tightens the turbo/dp nuts up...

<tuffty/>

Mine still touches sometimes and vibrates not nice. Im gona try and get exhaust guys to have a look see if they can make something up bend the hanger abit weld 1 on lets see what they can do.

Sadly it seems that like their manifolds the DP's are suffering from poor quality control too... have heard too many a tale of these not fitting 100%...

Its pretty tight in fairness and doesn't take much for it to be either hitting the tunnel or the prop... don't know if you have any adjustment in the flange bolt holes that would help, normally they are large enough to give a little wiggle room... means its a 2-man job of course to hold the DP in the sweet spot while the other tightens the turbo/dp nuts up...

<tuffty/>

I'm hoping they've managed to find the sweet spot, they said they'd ring back in 30 minutes if it didn't look like it was going to fit. I'll be installing the red dog bone mount when I get the car back as I've read it stops vibrations in the cabin?

No news is good news hopefully :) if they ring back I'll suggest adjustments in the flange bolts... or of course, by now there prefered option - tactical dent :)

Mine still touches sometimes and vibrates not nice. Im gona try and get exhaust guys to have a look see if they can make something up bend the hanger abit weld 1 on lets see what they can do.

oh :-( that's not good news...... did you install the red dog bone mount to? if it starts to vibrate i'll be the one giving it a tactical dent haha.

oh :-( that's not good news...... did you install the red dog bone mount to? if it starts to vibrate i'll be the one giving it a tactical dent haha.

Yep red dogbone installed made a little difference but not solved the problem 100%. Its usually and wiill only pop up when do some hard cornering and roundabouts and high speed driving. Think pipe must get hot n expand mayb but generally its ok. O yes and London humps tend to set it off but I go slow anyway cars sitting really low.

Yep red dogbone installed made a little difference but not solved the problem 100%. Its usually and wiill only pop up when do some hard cornering and roundabouts and high speed driving. Think pipe must get hot n expand mayb but generally its ok. O yes and London humps tend to set it off but I go slow anyway cars sitting really low.

Oh.. I was hoping the dog bone mount would sort it, as I'd heard they tend to vibrate :-(

Looks like I'll have to take the car to an exhaust place or something to have it fitted now... This garage couldn't fit it, was actually pressed up against the prop shaft according to them.. wasn't a chance it was going to fit and they want the job out the way, so they've put the old DP on :-( so looks like the relentless DP will sit in a box until I can afford someone else to fit it.

Oh.. I was hoping the dog bone mount would sort it, as I'd heard they tend to vibrate :-(

Looks like I'll have to take the car to an exhaust place or something to have it fitted now... This garage couldn't fit it, was actually pressed up against the prop shaft according to them.. wasn't a chance it was going to fit and they want the job out the way, so they've put the old DP on :-( so looks like the relentless DP will sit in a box until I can afford someone else to fit it.

Defo worth getting custom exhaust guys to fit it as they got the tools and experience to fiddle and adjust weld etc... good luck russ hope you get it sorted asap defo a fantastic mod worth the hassle. Old pipe is ****e

Defo worth getting custom exhaust guys to fit it as they got the tools and experience to fiddle and adjust weld etc... good luck russ hope you get it sorted asap defo a fantastic mod worth the hassle. Old pipe is ****e

I'm gunna contact a few custom exhausts places now.. hopefully they'll be able to do something with it! thanks! hopefully it shouldn't take too long to put right.