Miniature video camera / mounts? Anyone have one and can recommend?

Jimgrim77

Reaction score
I'm looking for a clever solution to record driving, driving incidences etc...whilst on the road.

Have a friend who mounted a smart solution on his motor bike and it won him a fortune during an incident involving a car and I'm thinking along similar lines with the increasing numbers of idiots on the road.

Nearly had an incident today and fancy 30 mins recording to and from work to minimise any chance negligence.

Essentially, I use an iPhone as mobile and am not really sure whats out there.

I'm open to any suggestion of mounting, and digital camera but would favour something discreet that I could leave in the vehicle 100% of the time and turn on/ off as required.

I imagine a mount behind the rear mirror would be ideal and hope that someone can lend their experience if any.

Thanks

I go on a lot of runs with people who use GoPro camera's.

The quality is superb and I haven't seen any 'bad' recordings from them unless you don't fit them correctly.

Wouldn't be able to say exactly what model is the best- but I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend on one.

You got a budget in mind?

If descression wasnt an issue then yeah a Go-Pro is the best option always but that doesnt suit your requirements listed. Scott has one of the cameras that were advertised on the top banner on AS that he won. Quality seems alright and its small enough to keep in place 100% of the time

I go on a lot of runs with people who use GoPro camera's.

The quality is superb and I haven't seen any 'bad' recordings from them unless you don't fit them correctly.

Wouldn't be able to say exactly what model is the best- but I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend on one.

You got a budget in mind?

no budget...issue over cost/benefit and discretion really. Just don't fancy removing it all the time where not necessary. Thanks for heads up, will check go-pro as an option but will check the other ones recommended too.

Blackvue def the way to go for a permanent solution...Guess what the mrs has bought me....;)

Sounds good dave.

They do look good. How does the 380 compare with 400?

Are they easy to install, cable wise? Would you recommend auto technician install etc?

Im getting the 400 hd2 there are vids on you tube, install will be simple taken off a permanent live from the courtesy light area...the electrical draw is very low...

Mine is installed to the fuse board using the aux socket in the boot live feed. I have also bought a 32gb sd card and get approx 30 hours record time before overwrite in normal and park mode. I keep the 16gb card in the car in case I need to save the footage on the 32 card, I can just put the 16 in until I have uploaded it to the PC.
The cable supplied has a plug for the cigar lighter socket. If you want it on permanently you can also get a Powerpro device that you wire in and connect the camera cable to which turns off the camera if the voltage drops below a certain level.
My car was not used all of last week and still started ok after 6 days so the power used for the camera is low.

Footage from mine, I have the DR380DG, played back without sound. (only the first 15 seconds are relevant)
KL08 DXH White van idiot jumping red light - YouTube

Great piece of kit. Thanks.

its on the Christmas list now.

That white van man was a tool!