To sell whole or break?

Grale1

Reaction score
Hi guys, in your pinion would you say you'd make more money breaking a car or sell it as a whole? Mine has now devolved a problem with or the gearbox tonight and I'm now at a point where I don't want to spend any more money on it, so now I need to know how to get some money back from it some how,

what sort of money could I get from it?

You could sell me all of those bits in your signature, sort the gearbox out and sell it as a standard 8L. Keeps another on the road and I get the tuning bits I need ;)

The only two bits I wouldn't sell are the forge DV and the jetex filter my friend, everything else I would consider if I can get the bits off off to sell then I would sell them, I'm not in a postion to get the it fixed at the moment.

Dave is right, more from breaking. If you have bits that are common between 8L and 8p models, they have a wanted thread at the top of the page for the parts they are looking for, so may be worth a look in there, but please dont turn this into a for sale thread on the main forum. Thanks. Good luck. :) x

As s3dave says, you should always get more breaking if you price the bits right and have the time and patience to do it.

Practiically though, most people don't have the space to leave a car on stands as it gradually gets broken down, and nor do they want a gradually broken down car sitting on the driveway.

The other thing is how do you value your time? Don't underestimate the endless phone calls/emails that you will have to deal with as well as the actual time to remove the bits. Do you have the time and knowledge to remove the engine for instance, or even the time to supervise somebody doing it so they dont damage the rest of the car or take anything else? At some point, all the big bits will be gone, and you'll still have to arrange a breaker to come and get the rest.

In this case, it's probably better to just sell the car with a known gearbox fault.

Depends what you're going to do next with regard to a car, and budget etc.

If your breaking post up.in.for sale thread I want some.stuff

Cheers