Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57

    Car Vibrations issue

    Hello guys,

    After many months of car Vibrations I need your help.
    I got to take the engine down in May to get a repair after an accident, and as all was down, I did some upgrade all over the cars.
    Since then, the car vibrate like hell at the first start in the morning, and getting a little bit better while driving it, but still too much for what it should be.
    I noticed that the car vibrate from first start, but if I turn the engine off when it reach 90°C and let it could down a little bit for about 10-15 minutes, the vibrations become the half!
    Just to make you understand, it vibrates so much that I can even see out from the center mirror! And the car headlights behind me became circles!!!
    The car vibrate very much also on idle, without driving it!! Staying parked somewhere!

    When the engine was down, I upgraded the engine mounts, with some THS V2 mounts, and put all the way in the front some powerflex bushings.
    Already had before the accident some powerflex bushings on the dogbone, but didn't have any issue with them...
    Some say it is probably for the stiffer engine mounts, but couldn't find anyone with this problem with those mounts...

    Could be the DMF? I was thinking about it, but can't find anyone that can give me a good answer about it...

    Hope you can help me!!

    Thank you!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    268
    Is it a constant vibration or does it change as the revs goes higher?

  4. #3
    nanananananananan BATMAN

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    JHB, South Africa
    Posts
    1,081

    My Social Networking

    Add MIGGZ on Facebook

    Car Vibrations issue

    What I noticed with mine when I did the poly dog bone was it vibrated like hell, I loosened the 2 top mounts, shaked the motor heavy then tightened the mountings, the vibration went away. That's if its the mounts, iv also heard of people drilling a few holes into the poly parts of the mounts to reduce vibration? I say loosen and shake the motor 1st, that's the cheapest way 1st

    My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

    Mine is healthy


    yours is on steriods!!!

  5. #4
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidey View Post
    Is it a constant vibration or does it change as the revs goes higher?
    It quite constant, it doesn't change going higher revs

    Quote Originally Posted by MIGGZ View Post
    What I noticed with mine when I did the poly dog bone was it vibrated like hell, I loosened the 2 top mounts, shaked the motor heavy then tightened the mountings, the vibration went away. That's if its the mounts, iv also heard of people drilling a few holes into the poly parts of the mounts to reduce vibration? I say loosen and shake the motor 1st, that's the cheapest way 1st
    Which top mounts are you telling about?

  6. #5
    nanananananananan BATMAN

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    JHB, South Africa
    Posts
    1,081

    My Social Networking

    Add MIGGZ on Facebook

    Car Vibrations issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer1991 View Post
    It quite constant, it doesn't change going higher revs



    Which top mounts are you telling about?
    Your car has 3 mounts, the dogbone, sits on the bottom then the one under the airbox, and the last by the water bottle, those are the 2

    My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

    Mine is healthy


    yours is on steriods!!!

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Noticed this afternoon, that the vibration are more from idle to 2000rpm than after!
    After 2000rpm they're still present, but less than under!!

    Then miggz, which bolts should I loose? The two on the engine, or the two on the car chassis?

  8. #7
    nanananananananan BATMAN

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    JHB, South Africa
    Posts
    1,081

    My Social Networking

    Add MIGGZ on Facebook

    Car Vibrations issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer1991 View Post
    Noticed this afternoon, that the vibration are more from idle to 2000rpm than after!
    After 2000rpm they're still present, but less than under!!

    Then miggz, which bolts should I loose? The two on the engine, or the two on the car chassis?
    Each mounting consists of 3 joining places, block, middle and frame, what you wana do is loosen the middle ones, they are 19mm sockets and there are 2 per side, so essentially its where the two parts of the mounts join each other. The drivers side is under the fuel lines and a thin water hose and the passenger side is between the airbox and battery. I don't have a airbox so its easy to get to. Loosen the bolts on both mounts. Then by the throttle intake side shake and pull the motor around violently then tighten 1 side at a time.

    Also remember that with poly bushes they need to settle or get softer if you wana call it that. So bear with the vibrations for like 200miles or so!

    Your description sounds like mounts, if it was dmf it would get worse the more you rev!

    The mounts pissed me off to for the 1st month or 2 I wanted to put the OEM ones back!

    My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

    Mine is healthy


    yours is on steriods!!!

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by MIGGZ View Post
    Each mounting consists of 3 joining places, block, middle and frame, what you wana do is loosen the middle ones, they are 19mm sockets and there are 2 per side, so essentially its where the two parts of the mounts join each other. The drivers side is under the fuel lines and a thin water hose and the passenger side is between the airbox and battery. I don't have a airbox so its easy to get to. Loosen the bolts on both mounts. Then by the throttle intake side shake and pull the motor around violently then tighten 1 side at a time.

    Also remember that with poly bushes they need to settle or get softer if you wana call it that. So bear with the vibrations for like 200miles or so!

    Your description sounds like mounts, if it was dmf it would get worse the more you rev!

    The mounts pissed me off to for the 1st month or 2 I wanted to put the OEM ones back!
    Will try to do it this week-end then!
    Anyway the poly mount dogmount where mounted already some months before the Engine mounts, and till i've mounted the engine ones, I didn't have problems at all! Car was perfect, no vibrations!

    Which mounts do you have by the way?

  10. #9
    nanananananananan BATMAN

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    JHB, South Africa
    Posts
    1,081

    My Social Networking

    Add MIGGZ on Facebook

    Car Vibrations issue

    Oem top and polymount dogbone

    My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

    Mine is healthy


    yours is on steriods!!!

  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by MIGGZ View Post
    Oem top and polymount dogbone
    Which is much different from my setup: THS Generation 2 Top (50% stiffer than OEM is what they say) and powerflex dogmount!
    Will try anyway to do as you said, it's costless :D
    Thank you for now

  12. #11
    coatesy's Avatar
    poking badgers with spoons
    Mouse Race Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer1991 View Post
    Which is much different from my setup: THS Generation 2 Top (50% stiffer than OEM is what they say) and powerflex dogmount!
    Will try anyway to do as you said, it's costless :D
    Thank you for now
    i have this set up.. vibration city, i also have a SMF. makes it feel more like a race car with its death vibrations
    k03s/k04 hybrid a3 275bhp 293lbft
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

    fellow north east members add your name to this list.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/north-e...%2A%2A%2A.html

  13. #12
    nanananananananan BATMAN

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    JHB, South Africa
    Posts
    1,081

    My Social Networking

    Add MIGGZ on Facebook

    Car Vibrations issue

    Lol I had a stupid moment ment to say powerflex lol

    Why did you opt for poly mounts? I would only do it if I had 300whp and used it on track only

    My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

    Mine is healthy


    yours is on steriods!!!

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by coatesy View Post
    i have this set up.. vibration city, i also have a SMF. makes it feel more like a race car with its death vibrations
    Then there's is nothing to do I think, so also you have many vibrations?

    Quote Originally Posted by MIGGZ View Post
    Lol I had a stupid moment ment to say powerflex lol

    Why did you opt for poly mounts? I would only do it if I had 300whp and used it on track only
    Because I had the OEM mounts on their way out, so instead buying some OEM mounts, bought these stiffer and for less than the OEM ones.

  15. #14
    nanananananananan BATMAN

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    JHB, South Africa
    Posts
    1,081

    My Social Networking

    Add MIGGZ on Facebook

    Car Vibrations issue

    Ok I understand makes sense in that case, here the OEM ones are cheaper then the poly ones. Only reason I changed dogbone was I had way to much engine flex between gear change so every now and again I would battle to change gears!

    My bet would be to drill a few small holes in the bushes

    My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

    Mine is healthy


    yours is on steriods!!!

  16. #15
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by MIGGZ View Post
    Ok I understand makes sense in that case, here the OEM ones are cheaper then the poly ones. Only reason I changed dogbone was I had way to much engine flex between gear change so every now and again I would battle to change gears!

    My bet would be to drill a few small holes in the bushes
    Prices here in switzerland are very high and OEM stuffs is valued like gold lol
    That's why I buy the 90% of the stuffs for my car from UK :D

  17. #16
    nanananananananan BATMAN

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    JHB, South Africa
    Posts
    1,081

    My Social Networking

    Add MIGGZ on Facebook

    Car Vibrations issue

    Lmao makes sense here in South Africa OEM stuff is cheaper so modded stuff we normally get from europe as well

    My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

    Mine is healthy


    yours is on steriods!!!

  18. #17
    coatesy's Avatar
    poking badgers with spoons
    Mouse Race Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer1991 View Post
    Then there's is nothing to do I think, so also you have many vibrations?
    yeah man, i just live with it. only notice the rattle when at idle or low speeds but on WOT you don't hear none of them because turbo and exhaust noise is to loud
    k03s/k04 hybrid a3 275bhp 293lbft
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

    fellow north east members add your name to this list.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/north-e...%2A%2A%2A.html

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Yesterday I did some heavy snow drift, after a 30 mins run I drove the car gently to allow the engine to cool down and let the car on idle for about 15 mins.
    After this, the vibrations DISAPPEARD!!!
    But this morning, as usual from first start, they returned

    Really can't understand why is doing this

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. S3 vibration issue & CV + Bearing
    By Crazypete00 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th April 2012, 13:59
  2. ENIGINE MISS FIRE N CAR VIBRATING ON TICK OVER 2.5TDI V6 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By johnswales in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12th December 2011, 20:32
  3. New Member - new car.. new issues... Head Gasket Going?
    By Metro in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11th November 2011, 09:17
  4. Car Garage Issues!
    By stevehall in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16th March 2009, 23:38
  5. Car vibration when accelarating
    By totopsgr in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th March 2007, 19:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO