AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Steering rack leak

Hi, my power steering pump was whining and after realising the fluid in the reservoir was nearly at the minimum mark I topped it up which cured the leak.
    Went to drive the car today and the whine has come back so I topped the fluid back up and jumped underneath the car to try and find a leak on a pipe etc.
    turns out the steering rack is leaking from the gator on the passenger side (piston inside the gator I presume).
    can I get a seal kit for it or is it a case of replacing the whole lot?
    cheers Tony

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I had a similar issue, ended up getting a replacement rack from ACS power steering.

The stigs ugly brother

Status

Steering rack leak

Perfect reason to upgrade to a quick rack from a seat leon cupra r, tt or s3. Need hubs and wishbones aswell as rack and away you go.

Reverse Gear

Status

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    can I assume from the amazing nick-name that could only ever have come from a man named Les, that this is TJ?

New rack is the quick and easy solution mate, if it's leaking from behind the gaitor it'll be fecked, can get recon racks for about £110, or take your chances on a second hand one.

Yours being an AGU without traction control would benefit hugely from a TT225/S3 rack though, 2.7 turns lock to lock instead of 3.4. Last one I bought I paid £80 second hand.

That's the way I'd be heading if I were you.

Labour wise, it's about 2 hours work on the driveway with basic tools and axle stands.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by camscockle20vT View Post
    Perfect reason to upgrade to a quick rack from a seat leon cupra r, tt or s3. Need hubs and wishbones aswell as rack and away you go.
    Don't need the hubs and wishbones to fit the rack dude, just the rack itself.

You fit the a3 track control arms to the S3/TT/LCR rack, and everything else remains stock

I ran the quick rack for years before upgrading the rest. it's a really nice upgrade and improves steering feel hugely.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yeah that would be me nick,
    il have a look around for a s3 rack then and if I can't source one easily I go referb'd a3/ golf rack then.
    Hoping to get one sorted before christmas

The stigs ugly brother

Status

Steering rack leak

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Don't need the hubs and wishbones to fit the rack dude, just the rack itself.

You fit the a3 track control arms to the S3/TT/LCR rack, and everything else remains stock

I ran the quick rack for years before upgrading the rest. it's a really nice upgrade and improves steering feel hugely.
    Ah i bought the lot, got it very cheap from a lcr that was being broke. Shame my a3 got roughed up by a bin truck before i could fit it all.

Didnt you fit the hubs and wishbones from a lcr to your track beast? Sure someone said the lcr hubs contribute to better handle when i started a thread asking.

And tony it will cost more but itl be worth it, the a3s are a decent handling fwd car, and if it makes it feel anywhere like a cupra r then its win win. But as prawn said its taking a chance with a second hand unit.

Status
    Yea I've got full a full LCR setup up front now, but for about 2 years I just ran the LCR quick rack on otherwise standard hubs and wishbones.

That's what I reckon Tony should do, he needs a rack anyway, so scour the second hand market and find a quick rack as it's otherwise a straight bolt on fit