Fault codes 17861/p1453 & 16514/p0130

Tom-E

Reaction score
Hi all, in my quest for a perfectly running s3, having recently had all 4 coil packs & spark plugs replaced, I sent the car in for a service today, and now every filter, fluid, you name it has been changed. While the car was in I got it scanned for fault codes, & the following came up:

17861- exhaust gas temp sensor 1 (g235) open or short to plus p1453

16514- O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 malfunction in circuit p0130

Looking into a few pages on this site, it seems it could be other problems that have caused these codes to come up as a result... Since these sensors are rather expensive, I wondered if anyone could offer their opinions as to why these codes may have been thrown up together, and if there are any other things I should be looking at first, before replacing the sensors. Mpg and power have been slightly affected too, in my opinion.

thanks in advance :)

Hi.

First thing I would do is have the fault codes cleared and drive the car for a few days . Then scan for codes again and see if they reappear. This may help narrow down the problem. I've replaced 2 EGT sensors , both times I got an implausible signal fault code indicating a dodgy sensor. Open or short to plus like yours could indicate a wiring problem.

Cheers.
sean.

Excellent, so you are saying its more likely to be the wiring to the sensor, than the actual sensor itself? I know where the main unit to the egt is, and thought there may be some dry solder joints in there perhaps?

Fault codes have been cleared, so will see what happens over the next couple of days.

Tom.

Right, had a little scan after a couple of days and just the egt code has come back. Definitely affects fuelling as its running rich as f#€k at the mo! And a bit of white smoke, which I believe is a symptom of this. Cheers for the link, lots of useful info. Hopefully get a chance to look at it sometime this week and get it sorted. Watch this space! Will be taking it easy until its sorted. Cheers