Anyone else had their Wing Mirrors (S3) stolen recently?

I

imported_UncleRogi

Twice in 2 months now, first time I had to fork out, this time luckly the car was the "Responsiblity" of the Dealership.

Is it happening alot lately, should I get Body Coloured instead of Chrome replaced this time?

That's unlucky bud, but don't let these theiving scum deter you from owning an S car. The Ally mirrors really sets the S3 from your standard A3's so i'd go for them again, and since your stealer is footing the bill for new ones, why go for the colour coded items?

Had mine stolen at the end of June, new set replaced on insurance for 150 excess.

Have now marked on top and frontside the vehicle registration with 1/8" punches and
internally chained both to door frames with 6mm steelalloy cable.

If someone decides they can sell them on with my number plate visible to all, hopefully
all I'll suffer in future is a broken mounting on one side and some dents.

Some guy in Ashford, Middx. had a set listed on eBay 3 days later,
not a million miles from you either!

i had mine stolen at start of year..

i have replacements - got them from germany - but still to be fitted.

but i'd be interested in how you chained your mirrors..what anchor points did you use?

Ian, as below...

Marking.jpg

Marking out the covers with punches,

Cable.jpg

Remove mirrors and thread the cable,

SecuringtoMirror.jpg

After a lot of trial'n'error this was the best place to secure the mirror allowing the cover to fit back correctly.

Securingtodoor.jpg

Refitting the mirror the cable passes through a rectangular plate as shown,

Finally the cable bends 90 degrees down and knots about 10" below the feedthrough,
using a jubille clip the secure the knot. Is well away from the window mechanism.

You will need access to some bolt cutters to cut the cable in the first place!

damn NEiLS3LK51! not even the A Team are gonna get those mirrors off!

Jojo i agree with u on the whole thing of not giving into thieving scum but u guys have to admit that colour coded mirrors make the car stand out less!

im still trying to replace my front grille that got stolen from outside my house!

anyone know where i can get a hold of a cheap one-dont really wanna spend £50 on a new one but might have to as i cant bare looking at the ess without the FRONT GRILLE!!!

I'm based in NW Surrey - Car was in the Dealer because the Clutch went (fingers crossed on this one), and someone filthed the Mirrors.

I'm gonna get Chrome replaced I think, just don't have the heart to go CC yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was thinking about Engraving, did you do it yourself or did someone else (professional) do it?

As for the Anchoring, thats not a bad idea either, I'll get a "Tool Friendly" mate to have a look at the Piccys, thanks for the advice.

Are the A Team back together? Last I heard on the Sun's Virals page BA was on strike!

I tried doing it with an engraving pen on some scrap aly and it looked cr@p, had very
little control and it kept skipping across the surface. I managed to borrow a set of alphanumeric
punches (some in the top left of first picture) and hammered them in myself.
(Draper do a set for £20)

Note the layer of clear tape over the top of the black insulation tape, this helps prevent the
punch from slipping on the polished surface whilst lining up the cutting tip for the 1st bash.

Nice skills on the anchoring. They ain't coming off. Just a shame having to resort to something like that. W@nkers

[ QUOTE ]
Are the A Team back together? Last I heard on the Sun's Virals page BA was on strike!

[/ QUOTE ]

slightly off topic but i hear they r in the process of commencing the filming of the new holywood A Team film.

Dont get ur hopes up though its almost certainly not going to be any good with the way remakes are turning out!

fantastic pictures neil....thank you very much...will definitely been doing that before putting on my mirrors.

cheers

ian

nice, i asked a while ago if anybody had done this to stop thieves but nobody said they had. good effort. i do have a question for you regarding the removal of the mountings to the door. i see you have the door cards off. if i need to replace the door mounts do i need to take the cards out or just the backing to the mounts? I bought some ally mirrors from germany and had to fit new chassis as min didn't fit i have worked around the mounts being a bit too short to fit springs but have just caught my mirror housing on some twurps mirror after a dodgy parking incident. So i need to get new mounts on. cheers

I removed the cards first then the door mount covers so couldn't be certain if you can get them
off without removing the cards. From the looks of it the cover continues below the top door
card edge so wont come out without removing the card.

Just how easy is it too get the Covers off.

I just got my car back from the dealers, it seems the theiving gits only stole the Chrome bit, the Mirror, mounting and Motors are all still there.

I am going to do the "Engraving / Punching" stuff,

Has anyone posted a guide on Wing mirror removal?

Very easy to get off without damaging the mountings.

1. Prise the mirror off the motor unit (angle mirror to upwards extreme to make easier)
2. Unclip the wires connected to the back of the mirror.
3. Undo the 3-4 torx screws securing the aluminum cover to the motor unit.
4. Undo the two pozidrive screws securing the black plastic to the motor unit.
5. Unclip the plastic piece.
6. Remove the aluminium cover.

(I hope no mirror thief reads this thread!)

[ QUOTE ]
Just how easy is it too get the Covers off.

I just got my car back from the dealers, it seems the theiving gits only stole the Chrome bit, the Mirror, mounting and Motors are all still there.

I am going to do the "Engraving / Punching" stuff,

Has anyone posted a guide on Wing mirror removal?

[/ QUOTE ]

That says to me that those mirror caps are for definite re-sale, probably on ebay. As we all know, most people are only after the caps, not the full mirrors.

B@stards.

Anyone thought of using the micro-dot system thing? Not sure if they are any good or not.

AL

Yes, and 'Any questions please e-mail me', I've emailed him 2 questions, and no replies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
He hasn't stated anywhere wether they are metal, so could be plastic fakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

those look to shiney to be vag ones, look like reps to me..

Definately look at LOT more mirrored than the originals I had replaced!

The curved section on the inner RHS of the drivers side cover doesn't seem to
have any Mill contours either like the Aluminum ones do.

Some w@nker stole mine from right outside my uncle's house in broad daylight! They only took the drivers side one and broke it off. Have now replaced them with CC ones not taking the risk again!!

Someone should speak with ebay about this, they might not do anything but it wouldn't hurt.

nickelvery said:
Someone should speak with ebay about this, they might not do anything but it wouldn't hurt.

all ebay are interested in is the % they make from the sale and listing.

Did you hear the other day about the radio 1 tickets? an MP asked ebay to stop selling them.......ect..... ebay said they were not going to stop coz its not illegal, so i cant see them doing anything about a set of mirrors. and it was two yrs ago anyway:icon_thumright:

I'm pretty sure its illegal for ebay to allow things they know as stolen to be bought and sold on its site. Enquire, see what happens.