two months after buying the S3

madvw

Reaction score
Just wish to share my thoughts after drving my S3 for two months, and see if other S3 owners are in the same boat.

Is it just me, or does driving an S3 feel lika a different car every day? I have had the car now for a bit, and i'm sure that some days it feels fast, very fast, and others, it feels like a dog.

The only explanation I can come up with is the ambient air temperature - and i know this can hurt a turbo'd cars performance, but really by this much?

The difference i'm talking about is the difference between making a slightly shadey overtaking manoeuvre, and playing it safe - you dont have the confidence that the top-end power will come through.

Does anybody else have these problems? Do you just accept that when its 20+ degrees outside, you car just feels loads slower?

I would never have imagined that such a difference could be felt so much.

I agree, not so much sinse the new engine in my car, and it seems to be a common feeling amoungst owners, not sure it's temp dependant, just reckon it's audi's Idea of a joke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Have had mine for about a year now and would say that the hot weather seems to slightly affect the performace but not by the margins you seem to be talking about. One thing that I do find that even though mine is chipped and the torque is great, i still find that to keep my confidence in slighty dodgy overtakes it needs to be doing at least 4500 rpm to give it a kick up the backside. Don't get me wrong, the torque is smile inducing most of the time, but it still needs a good thrashing to get it really going. Hope that helps a bit.

Yes I agree, although I would never describe it as "dog"!

I put it down to two things:

1. Outside temperature. If it's hot - performance suffers a bit - definitely - yesterday was hot and the car seemed average. That said, take it for a spin in the late evening when it's cooler - puts the smile back on your face.

2. You can "get used" to a car so it doesn't feel as fast to you. Try driving another car (a slower one obviously) and then get back in the S3 - wow! I drove a transit van for a weekend recently and when I got back in the S3 it was like driving a rocket.

I think its a mixture of getting used to it, and the hot weather too. The term dog was perhaps a bit harsh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif but thats how you feel when your car isnt performing in a predictable way - and it isnt the same to look forward to an underpowered drive in the sun....

Problem is that because of the uncertainty, i can never be sure that the car's 100% - which isn't good as i'm a born worrier! I'm always looking for something wrong with it!

How do you people keep yours in check? Just buy vag-com and periodically check for faults?

i think getting the revs just right for sudden acc and optimum revs for gear change make a massive difference to how fast the car feels. Especially as i came from a non turbo 16 valve crx which just pulled from any rev up to the red line.

i have noticed you have to get the right revs around 3,300 in 2nd or 3rd before flooring it to get best overtaking peformance. although i tend to get it to 3k and do a runny before flooring it. (i can from 1.4 clio so doing a runny overtaking move is second nature) I find start from above 5k the kick isnt there. i also short shift to keep in what i think is the power band.

these are just seat of pants observations and not at all scientific. oh and my s3 is standard. and black /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have to agree - the perfomance of mine is noticeably better when the air temperature is cooler

Its easily checked by taking the S3 out for a spin in the evenings.

I thought I was going mad the first few times this happened but having had the car now for 3 years there is DEFINITELY a difference

I must speak to the garage about this next time I am in - try and get some sort of logical explanation - to be honest I just thought it was me so its good to hear ( well sort of good) that other members experience the same reduction in power when its hot

Its nothing to do with 'getting used to the car' I think after 3 years I am used to it by now

I've noticed this too. Sometimes the power is just not there, other times it really takes you by surprise. I'm guessing a FMIC would help to reduce the difference in hot weather?

I would be really interested in a FMIC, but my insurance would probably say no...

as for the reasons Spiker, is all about the density and temperature of the charged air. If the charge temperature is low, then cylinder temperature will be lower, and help in avoiding detonation. The timing can then be forwarded further to get more power. In addition, the lower the temperature of something, the more closely packed the molecules are, so you'd get more o2 in the cylinder for each burn.

I suppose another option would be to re-route, or plumb in, a water feed from the washer tank to spray on the existing chargecooler, and see if the LHV can reduce the charge temperatures - sounds like a fun weekend project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

well, those that suggested trying a lower power car...

man, your not joking. I have a 54 reg 1.6 sportback as a courtesey car while mines in for an MOT.

wow. This things like going backwards. I mean, my first ever car, a mk1 1.1 fiesta is faster than this POS. I really couldn't care about the comfort inside, it feels like the grim reapers gonna catch me up in this if i'm not careful...

I had no idea I could get used to the power so quickly.

Cant wait to get mine back now.... I think an drive this evening may be in order... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif