Volks AutosEM Tuning
    5th Gear

Status

RNS-D install (not RNS-E)

I have managed to get a RNS-D unit with all the dash parts to install it.

I currently have a single DIN unit (S3 Bose)

I have searched the stickies and other posts and can find a fair bit on fitting a RNS-E but nothing on converting a single din to a double din dash and installing the RNS-D.

Basically I want to know if it is plug and play into the stereo loom (obviously adding the GPS antennae)
    Or are there any parts or looms I need to make sure I get from the seller to ensure it will fit and work.

Thanks all.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Danio has done it, changing the Pre-fl centre console to an FL one. I think you biggest obstacle will be finding a double din centre console to house the unit

Danio never mentions anything about problems with wiring but on this ebay listing theres a good rear pic of an RNS-D

AUDI A4 SAT NAV NAVI NAVIGATION PLUS RADIO CD PLAYER RNS-D 8E0 035 192 B + CODE | eBay

and heres his project thread DANIO's A3 -> S3 progress thread

5th Gear

Status

Thanks mate.
    I should of mentioned that mine is already a facelift model.

Had a read through the post linked but unfortunately he hasn't gone into any detail of the nav install. Just that he spent a few hours on wiring.
    Not sure if that's on the air con or nav.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g60leigh View Post
    Thanks mate.
    I should of mentioned that mine is already a facelift model.

Had a read through the post linked but unfortunately he hasn't gone into any detail of the nav install. Just that he spent a few hours on wiring.
    Not sure if that's on the air con or nav.
    I had guessed from your sig, don't really know why I mentioned about pre-fl to fl.

I believe the wiring time was just for the A/C conversion as he has the nav installed in earlier pics with his basic heater controls.

Have had a look elsewhere online and it seems a pretty common conversion in the a4 and a6 and no one mentions a wiring change apart from when using an RNS-E. I have even scoured ebay.de and I cant find a double din centre console at all, as said that will be the biggest holdback for the conversion.

I was looking to do this in my a3, but got fed up of looking for a double din centre so ended up buying an alpine single din unit with nav, bluetooth and ipod connectivity for about the same price as the unit I linked to earlier. Although its not OEM it is much more functional with it being much newer, just dislike the flip out screen element, I'm still on the lookout for a double din as then i can replce the alpine with a double din version.

My search did bring up this
    Radioschacht Mittelkonsole schwarz Audi S3 A3 8L Facelift Blende Holz Dekor | eBay Never seen wood in an 8L before

5th Gear

Status

Ok for anyone interested in this.
    I have been email the guys at Kufatec and have been informed that as long as both the car and the RNS-d are canbus it will clip straight in with just the addition of the GPS antennae.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status

All done and dusted.
    Guide is here:

Next project lined up.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Neutral

Status
    HI there guys

My name is Anton Richards

I am new to this forum, and i have just sold a 99 a3 TDI and purchased a 2002 S3 8L.

Now i want to apologise if this question has already been asked, and i know how anooying it can be to keep telling people the same thing, but i have been trying to find this information for a while as i planned on doing it to the TDI but never got round to it.

I want to fit the RNS-D satnav unit to my car.

Now my S3 already has satnav, but the in dashboard trip computer one, that is really bad and doesnt provide any usefull information.

So i want to know what is needed to fit the RNS-D unit to my car. Now i have tried to research as much as i can, and i know from my girlfriends mini, that manufacturer standard satnav runs off of a disc located in the boot/glove compartment?

So as i already have the other satnav which runs from a disc in my boot, will the RNS-D unit work of the same disc player?

I have also researched and found out that my car has the single din, concert II system. So i know ill need at least a double din cage. Ive read a few threads about the heater having to be changed as well? but all those posts seem to be about the a4 or a6.....so can anyone tell me if the sizes are all slightly different in all 3 models of car (a3, a4, a6). And can my heater controls just move stright down and i ge rid of the holding tray underneath it?

Ive found a few units on ebay and other sites ranging from £170-£350 depending on what is included.

Can anyone help me in purchasing the right parts.

kind regards

Anton

5th Gear

Status
    Anton. Have a look on the link in the post above. I have out up a full guide on switching from single to double din and installing the RNS-D
    It is also in the stickies now.

The RNS-D has the map cd within the head unit itself. There is a slot above the screen.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Neutral

Status
    Hi mate

just checked out your link "next project lined up" if thats the one you were talking about?

Thats the exact heater control unit i have, and the pictures you have is exactly what i want it to look like. Did you just get hold of the whole front console?

Is it possible for me to fit this rns-d unit and remove my storage box thats below the heater control, the move heater control to bottom?

ill upload a picture to show you what i have.

I also want to apologise if your repeating yourself or if im asking really stupid questions, its just im really bad at finding the info on these and even finding it, extracting what i need seems to never work.

Below is my centre console

IMG_1347.jpg

Neutral

Status
    and this si what ive found whoich has my air con unit...this is what i want it to look like and i thought would involve the least change

dsc013763ms.jpg

Neutral

Status
    and another thing, isnt that slot for CD audio? as the trip computer satnav that is in my car at the moment, has a cd hav box in the boot, next to the cd disc changer, they alsmost look the same and they are next to eachother. Moreover, my radio Arial on the roof also says GPS on the bottom of it.

5th Gear

Status

The climate control has a different shape to the front of it although if you have a double din centre it will physically fit into the bottom slot once you trim the excess from the sides
    The double din is narrower at the base the same shape as the cubby hole lid.

If you can get hold of the parts it is a lot easier to just change to the double din centre carcass and climate control.

The slot in my head unit is definitely for the map disc.

Mine is also linked to the six disk changer for the audio cd's.

2001 S3 (AMK)