Smokey car..........Turbo???

amoani

Reaction score
I was on the way home tonight and i floored it. I had someone behind me and in there headlights i noticed that my car is smoking when accelerating hard. Ive never noticed this in the daytime before and am slightly worried that it is the turbo seals. Has anyone got any idea what would cause this? Is it normal under hard driving?
Thanks

Aaron

I have not had the car long (about a month) and have just had it serviced about 2 weeks ago with longtec. I will check the oil in the morning to see if it has gone down since the service.

Another couple of questions...How, would you define the smoke..bluey/white, black, brownish.. or steam???And quantity wise, a little puff disappearing on acceleration, heavier lingering type or positively reeking???

Just Curious...

I started the car up this morning and there is no smoke on start up. The only thing i got was steam, due to condensation in exhaust, but this went after a while when the car was warmed up. I have checked the oil and it is down to the bottom level /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I have done about 1500miles since the service so should not have lost that amount . I am starting to think the worse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
It was dificult to tell what colour the smoke was as it was dark but looking at the oil level it has got to be burning oil. It was also only noticeably smoking on hard acceleration. What do you think the next step would be for me to diagnose the problem?
Thanks

Aaron

I would get someone to drive behind you to identify the colour of the smoke. White smoke normally points to turbo.

I would get the car somewhere as soon as possible to have a compression test done too, even audi shouldn't charge much for this, then you can rule out piston rings etc.

Oil being burnt at that rate is not a definate problem, as Audi say it can burn upto 1Litre of oil per 1000miles, so depending on how much you have actually burn't It might not even be a problem, I would also do what dicky has suggested.

When my engine went It started as being a lot of steam (was cold day) but when you would notice the blue smoke on changing gear - try and have a good look in the rear mirror on changing gear!

Let us know how you get on. How old is the car by the way?

B

[ QUOTE ]
Oil being burnt at that rate is not a definate problem, as Audi say it can burn upto 1Litre of oil per 1000miles

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, seems like a lot of of oil. I havent got my docs at the min so cant verify but I am sure i read in the service manual that between services you should only need to put a maximum of 1extra litre of oil in. If what you say is correct you could possibly put in upto 9 litres of oil between a service to keep it topped up. That seems excessive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I also took my car out earlier and tried to see if it would smoke to the point where i could see it in my rear view mirror. But no matter how hard i pushed the car i could not see anything??? Should there be any smoke at all when driven hard or should they be completely smoke free?

The car is a 2000 S3 with just over 60k on the clock.
Thanks

Aaron