Car got hot

BRG_GTI

Reaction score
As I was driving along the water low warning light came on as soon as I could pull up I did. The temp gauge went to just over 100 degrees before I turned the engine off. I gave it a minute or so before I undid the cap to check. It steamed a bit and when that stopped there appeared to be enough water in there ?

Any ideas ?

If I had head gasket failure would not lose water or oil / have some sort of smoke ? Also I replaced the thermostat only last week so I am hoping that it has not jammed. I have had a search on here and water pump seems to be a possible culprit ?

My guess is water pump, I changed my thermostat when this happened to me and that made no difference and it turned out to be the pump. Head gasket failues seem really rare on these cars which is good.

Thanks Vex is there anything I can check to confirm this or is it a job for the garage to look at ?

I will have to look through the paperwork I have later I know its had a cambelt but do not recall seeing anything about a waterpump and the car is now on 90,000 miles

As I was driving along the water low warning light came on as soon as I could pull up I did. The temp gauge went to just over 100 degrees before I turned the engine off. I gave it a minute or so before I undid the cap to check. It steamed a bit and when that stopped there appeared to be enough water in there ?

Any ideas ?

Check the fuses on top of the battery.

Don't just look at them to see if they have blown, actually take them out and check the blades as these can burn on without blowing the fuse ;)

Yeh check the fuses are 100% so you know the fans should be working. Waterpump is usually done at 60k or whenever the cam belt is done, some places don't do it unless told to, some just inspect it - like mine, my car was serviced at Audi by previous owner, cam belt was done and then just says *water pump inspected* and that's all. Then it failed at 95k!

Same symptoms as when my water pump broke into multiple pieces.

I learned the hard way that some people don't always fit a new water pump when they have the cambelt changed (mongs).

So after stripping the thermostat out I could feel the water pump impeller was cracked into 3 pieces :crying:

I carried on and have the water pump out ready to swap. The timing belt was changed about 30,000 miles ago do I get a new one as I have it all stripped back ?

Rhetorical? Definitely replace it if you're there anyway!!

Hi Ben - could you do a final write-up on the water pump replacement? I had an overheating crisis on Sunday miles from home (near you actually) and reckon I have a failed pump too.

Sorry fella, that's not my area of expertise. I was just saying that if you're going through the hassle of changing a belt and rollers it makes no sense to avoid replacing a £30 water pump because if/when it fails it will need a new belt and rollers doing again.

Reactions: pepps
I used a couple of guides I found on the net which were quite useful sure I saved them will have a look when back at home.