FMICs and chipping

I

imported_bantam1

Related to the other thread I started about chipping higher mileage S3s I was wondering about the value of fitting a FMIC along with chipping it?

Again I've had a read of past posts but don't think I have a definitive answer, or at least a definite understanding! Thinking in terms of maximising the reliability and longevity of a higher mileage chipped S3 (as well as reducing loss of performance from the standard ICs) is it worth fitting a FMIC do you think?

Also as ever a further consideration is pounds and pennies. What is the ballpark cheapest figure for a good FMIC?

Cheers again,

B.

JBS are emailing me tommrow with prices for the FMIC, keep an eye out on my forum soon.

[ QUOTE ]
JBS are emailing me tommrow with prices for the FMIC, keep an eye out on my forum soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks a lot

bump - does anybody have an opinion on this?

Cheers,

B

If you have the cash, go for the FMIC as this really helps on the S3.

It won't give you any extra power as such, it just stops you from losing power (therefore I suppose giving you extra power) on a warm day. The standard intercoolers are not very good to be honest with you.

A very worth while mod if you have the £££.

A good quality fmic will works really well with a chipped s3 as the inlets really do rocket when you push the standard k04.
Problem is to get a fairly large core behind the standard bumper is extremely difficult.Even if you hack away it's still very tight,also it's very hard to get large pipework to fit.

[ QUOTE ]
A good quality fmic will works really well with a chipped s3 as the inlets really do rocket when you push the standard k04.
Problem is to get a fairly large core behind the standard bumper is extremely difficult.Even if you hack away it's still very tight,also it's very hard to get large pipework to fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Ryan - seriously considering it prior to chipping.

What do you think of the Forge Kit?

linky

Cheers,

B.

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking in terms of maximising the reliability and longevity of a higher mileage chipped S3

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking in these terms I would suggest fitting an Oil Cooler, one with a diverter valve so that it lets the oil warm up in the winter.

It was the next thing that the German Nothelle suggested to me after chipping and right before fitting a complete Turbo Back (cause from what they said the bottleneck in the downpipe causes higher temps in the turbo reducing reliability)

Just another point of view.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just had a fmic made up for my car yesterday,12 core it makes a big difference over a single side mount,not easy to fit and lots of plastic needed trimming.The car feels more responsive and doesn't lose power when enjoying long blasts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[ QUOTE ]
Can somebody copy some pics of my intercooler from seatcupra.net (a&m motorsport section) and host them on here please,i'm a technophobe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I ask how much this set you back Andy?

Cheers,

B.

Still waiting for final price but was cheaper because it was the demo one,i will post some pics and results after rolling road day at westec on sat.I would guess that it would be a simular price to the ibiza one they do ,i think that kit is around £750 ish,but that is 2.5 inch piping from turbo to inlet manifold ,mandrel alloy bends and samcos ,clips etc.Plus cores have been track tested on various cars including the badger5 ihi ibiza with no problems.Not cheap but quality is superb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

It seems to really suit revo st2 4 bar program ,pulls very well especially after 4000 rpm where it really kicks in.My other mods also seem to suit the program well,we shall see on sat and i think with the temps forecast i'm going to need the fmic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

have any of you fitted these FMIC? it's from Street performance, just wanted to know how they are compared to the forge and others if anyone knows?

Inta.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
have any of you fitted these FMIC? it's from Street performance, just wanted to know how they are compared to the forge and others if anyone knows?

Inta.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the core part sitting in my dining room waiting to be fitted, and Ess-Three use to have one fitted on his S3, so should be good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have a forge kit/custom made on my s3 and it is superb.Although i can't really tell you figures with a k04 it works great with IHI.

Jojo, would you be able to give me some feedback once you've fiited yours on? Would like to know how it feels. how much you paying for fitting? AMD told me they'd do mine for £380-90. One more thing dude, do you have the hooks that are supposed to be on it? cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Jojo, would you be able to give me some feedback once you've fiited yours on? Would like to know how it feels. how much you paying for fitting? AMD told me they'd do mine for £380-90. One more thing dude, do you have the hooks that are supposed to be on it? cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hooks?, WHAT HOOKS?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Here is a pic of the part I have, but it's in silver, no hooks in this pic?
27112919-18e7-02000180-.jpg

And here is a pic fitted onto DavidR's (formally EssThree's) S3
27112918-cb01-02000180-.jpg

Question for Ess-Three, what did you use to hold it in place Glen?

As for fitting it onto my car, I was thinking of doing it myself and using flexible wire re-inforced samco hoses, anyone had any experience of this stuff, or should I stick to the tried and tested samco knuckles and metal tubing?

[ QUOTE ]
I have a forge kit/custom made on my s3 and it is superb.Although i can't really tell you figures with a k04 it works great with IHI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you using an IHI on your car then Ryan?

[ QUOTE ]

Question for Ess-Three, what did you use to hold it in place Glen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used some 12mm thick foam front and rear, then sandwitched it between the rediator and bumper support...when the hoses are on it'll be well fastned in place....it's not heavy so it's not going to move.

So, the FMIC isn't actually bolted to the frame at all...just wedged in.

Works fine...

[ QUOTE ]
AMD told me they'd do mine for £380-90.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell fire!
Once you get the bumper off you'll see better...but you've got the clamps to un-do and re-do, FMIC to mount and a bit of plastic cutting to do...you'll easily get it done in a day - and save yourself a journey and £380+.

You may also be better loking into a more secure way of joining the standard SMIC outlet hose and the first Samco of the FMIC kit...it's a weak point and known to blow off under high boost situations.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Forge offer fitting of their kit for £120 if that is a useful comparison.

Regards,

B.

[ QUOTE ]
£120, thats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif cheap. So the FMIC is stuck on with sticky foam bits? where can I source them from? I can see them on the black FMIC picture

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not stuck on...the foam is simply sandwiched between the IC & radiator and IC & crash bar...it's stuck to both sides of the FMIC so as the FMIC is squeezed into place there is no forwards or rearwards movement...the hoses keep it in place beyond that.

The FMIC weight next to nothing, as you will know, so this method is no problem.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and how easy is it to DIY?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can get the bumper off...and back on again, you are half way there.

The Forge write up in the other thread Forge FMIC Thread will assist in getting the bumper on and off.

With the bumper off you will be able to test fit and see what requires trimming...as long as you have basic hand tools and a few hours spare, you'll be fine.

Why bother with FMIC anyway! when you can just buy one of these for £45!

Cough!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

1.8T PowerGasket™
Gives you more power in your 1.8T by reducing the temperature of the incoming air to your engine with an insulating gasket that radically reduces the heat transfer from the cylinder head to the intake manifold. This gives you cooler, denser air for more horsepower and performance from your engine.

Made from a high performance polymer, PowerGasket™ conducts on average less than 1/500th of the heat of the steel gasket that it replaces. Your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler.

Cooler air, denser air, means more oxygen. Your engine sensors register these changes and will inject more fuel to give you more power. Cooler air also reduces detonation, so you can turn up the boost or advance your engine timing for even more performance gains.

PowerGasket™ has been designed for affordability, easy installation and no disruption to your manifold attachment and engine accessories. This means that you can simply swap your old intake manifold gasket for a PowerGasket. No buying longer bolts or installing multiple gaskets. In less than 2 hours, you will be enjoying a more powerful, better performing ride.

pg2.jpg

calling Ess_Three

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why bother with FMIC anyway! when you can just buy one of these for £45!

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they're rubbish! If you're after a insulating gasket then the Evoshield gasket is the way to go, they are much thicker than that powergasket rubbish, still no substitute for a proper fmic though, I have an evo gasket along with my fmic.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, vf34 with p20 housing,1.6bar overboost ,1.4-1.5bar held depending on gear.
Maxing out fuel pump now,everything is strectched to the limit.

Put a S3 on a rolling road it will not matter what FMIC you fit the power gain will be zero.

You will get a lot more noise, but is that what you want?

I keep bringing this up time after time, the money you will spend on this sort of stuff that will do nothing to improve the performance of the car would be much better spent on a driving course at a racing circuit. You will gain far more pace than the odd 5 or 10 bhp these kits claim to make you.

Save your money and spend wisely on something that will make a difference, rather than on something that sounds good, but is a complete waste of time and money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Put a S3 on a rolling road it will not matter what FMIC you fit the power gain will be zero.

I keep bringing this up time after time, the money you will spend on this sort of stuff that will do nothing to improve the performance of the car would be much better spent on a driving course at a racing circuit. You will gain far more pace than the odd 5 or 10 bhp these kits claim to make you.

Save your money and spend wisely on something that will make a difference, rather than on something that sounds good, but is a complete waste of time and money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you got the wrong end of the stick on this thread Bampy, where does it say anywhere on this thread that there is a performance gain by adding a FMIC onto a car? I must have missed it! The twin wing mounted I/C's fitted as standard on S3's are good for standard power, but those who have a chipped motor has experienced a drop in performance on hot days due to heatsoak, so a FMIC is the solution. Admittedly it isn't a cheap option, and I wouldn't pay those crazy prices as quoted further up this thread, but thanks to this forum, I managed to get the parts cheap with detailed fitting instructions, so DIY fitting is the way to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rolling roads are never going to have the same airflow through the bonnet area as road driving anyway, so trying to prove perfomance gains (or mitigating losses due to heat soak) won't show up acurately.

As a complete aside, is there any worth (or way?) to try to to fit the second factory IC from the S3/TT to a chipped 1.8T? I realise it would entail either a lot of plumbing or an S3 inlet manifold but it strikes me as a cheaper way ahead for those of us with 1.8Ts.

Sorry guys! Maybe my attempt at sarcasm wasn't very witty! Or I haven't yet got to grips with the full array of available smilys. I was trying to take the p*ss out of the write up, the claims seem a bit ott.

But anyway, is it worth doing this mod at all?

Is that getting off topic? Ignore me if I am.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A standard s3 might not see much power gain with a fmic but a chipped one certainly will especially after continued power runs when inlets start hitting the 80+c. You WILL start to lose stacks of power.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, vf34 with p20 housing,1.6bar overboost ,1.4-1.5bar held depending on gear.
Maxing out fuel pump now,everything is strectched to the limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. Careful you dont melt the pump! im still using the standard 1.8T pump but got an S3 one to fit... but may git a walbro one just to be on the safe side. My power problems, ive come to the conclusion are due to the fuel systtem...its a weird one though... car has more power and is smoother when there is a full tank of fuel!

Rich

The S3 turbo will always get hot due to where this is located in the engine. I had mine chipped and i could get this glowing Red. I was driving like a C**T and i do regret this. I also had a De-Cat pipe and this was running around 270BHP.

The only way forward is about £7000, A bigger turbo better chip all your internals and an i/c.
or just by a RS6

Does any one want to buy a Supersrint De-Cat pipe and a ABD Air Filter all this is for a S3

See Ya