FMICs and chipping

[ QUOTE ]
I had mine chipped and i could get this glowing Red. I was driving like a C**T and i do regret this. I also had a De-Cat pipe and this was running around 270BHP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you regret this? Did you do some damage?

[ QUOTE ]
calling Ess_Three

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You rang?

I tried one of these...purely to prove there was no improvement. Guess what?
Where wasn't.

It fit's fine...but it's a nightmare to keep the bolts tight...so all you get over time is a slight boost leak. Great. Well worth the money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

calling Ess_Three

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You rang?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a cape with 4 rings on?

[ QUOTE ]
I tried one of these...purely to prove there was no improvement. Guess what?
Where wasn't.

It fit's fine...but it's a nightmare to keep the bolts tight...so all you get over time is a slight boost leak. Great. Well worth the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....sounded to good to be true!

[ QUOTE ]

Because they're rubbish! If you're after a insulating gasket then the Evoshield gasket is the way to go, they are much thicker than that powergasket rubbish, still no substitute for a proper fmic though, I have an evo gasket along with my fmic.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and they do nothing either.
Sure, the inlet manifold is coler to the touch...wow!
But is the airflow any colder?
Does the engine receive colder air?
Does it make any more power?
No...sorry.
Have you worked out how fast the air is moving in an inlet manifold on full chat?
It would have to be one hell of a hot inlet manifold to heat-soak the air...the airflow is too fast and the manifold too cool to matter.

The problem with the Evo heatshield on many engines is that it spaces the whole inlet manifold outwards - including the injectors...so you then end up with less than optimal injector placememt...not ideal.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have a cape with 4 rings on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I try my best!

Have you got no work to be getting on with? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Have you got no work to be getting on with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had enough for one day and its getting close to going home day, my motivation is fading more and more! (yes I did have some in the first place)

Dublin on wed pray the fog stays away from the North sea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif<-bible!

[ QUOTE ]

...and they do nothing either.
Sure, the inlet manifold is coler to the touch...wow!
But is the airflow any colder?
Does the engine receive colder air?
Does it make any more power?
No...sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely correct, has made naff all difference performance wise but it hasn't hurt performance either, if I had to do it again though would spend the money on something else. The powergasket one however is even worse with very poor fitament with overlapping.

[ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely correct, has made naff all difference performance wise but it hasn't hurt performance either, if I had to do it again though would spend the money on something else. The powergasket one however is even worse with very poor fitament with overlapping.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely sure there isn't a cooling problem on the engine now? (I would be surprised if the engineers didn't include the inlet as as 'cooler'...)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if my original comment read like it was aimed directly at you...it wasn't...but there are companies out there who claim a 10% improvememt with one of those gaskets fitted!

As you say...it can't hurt....unless the injector placement ends up less than ideal...which I've not proved or disproved...

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry if my original comment read like it was aimed directly at you...it wasn't...but there are companies out there who claim a 10% improvememt with one of those gaskets fitted!

As you say...it can't hurt....unless the injector placement ends up less than ideal...which I've not proved or disproved...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry about it mate, is all good banter. I know what you mean though, there are companies out there quoting figures which surely must have been generated by a lottery machine.

Just came back from a vag-com session,intake temps didn't go over mid 30's no matter how many repeated runs were done,recovered very fast too,ambient temps was 18 deg,i guess the fmic works then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Are you using an IHI on your car then Ryan?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, vf34 with p20 housing,1.6bar overboost ,1.4-1.5bar held depending on gear.
Maxing out fuel pump now,everything is strectched to the limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feck me... I got 340BHP running 1,3BAR, what do you get then?

360-370 depending on air filter,360 on average.

just been reading the forum and how many modded A3s are out there!!

just a thought but how much have you guys, who own normal A3Ts, spent on doing them up?

surely it would be cheaper to get an S3 take it to AMD and you have a better car to start with>?

just seems a bit of a false economy in my books.

[ QUOTE ]
just a thought but how much have you guys, who own normal A3Ts, spent on doing them up?

surely it would be cheaper to get an S3 take it to AMD and you have a better car to start with>?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine started life as a normal A3 1.8T... Not really the case anymore. Dont know how much i've spent exactly but its in the 5 figures. Yeah i could have just bought an S3 and had a better base to start on, but to be honest i wouldnt have been able to do as much to the car and would have probably got bored with it. My car is just one big project to me, and i enjoy doing the work myself and seeing the improvements afterwards, so the whole money issue doesnt really come into it. Afterall, its a hobby, so you dont expect to get any £ back from it. Once its gone, its gone!

Rich

fair enough rich

yours sounds like a labour of love but you have done very well and don't expect too much back from it in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine started life as a normal A3 1.8T... Not really the case anymore. Dont know how much i've spent exactly but its in the 5 figures. Yeah i could have just bought an S3 and had a better base to start on, but to be honest i wouldnt have been able to do as much to the car and would have probably got bored with it. My car is just one big project to me, and i enjoy doing the work myself and seeing the improvements afterwards, so the whole money issue doesnt really come into it. Afterall, its a hobby, so you dont expect to get any £ back from it. Once its gone, its gone!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Here here Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
fair enough rich

yours sounds like a labour of love but you have done very well and don't expect too much back from it in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers. A labour of love for sure! I wont stop until it takes its final breath. There is LOTS more to come too!

I agree...

And either way, if you plan on achieving power above and beyond the means of 'simple' tuning procedures like the run-of-the-mill exhaust, chip, filter etc. then you will indefinately end up swapping turbos and all the associated custom ancillaries etc. which means it doesn't actually matter what car you start with.

It's more cost effective to save on the initial outlay of something like an S3 in favour of spending it on the BIG mods further down the line because the result is the same.

Again, depends what level of performance you decide you want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T

Don't regret spending a penny.

Only thing the S3 really has is the better chassis. However, the advantage is really at the rear end. There are however ways around this, ways which i tend to fully exploit within a year or so.

RIch

[ QUOTE ]
Only thing the S3 really has is the better chassis.

[/ QUOTE ]

...but in standard form, this is debatable by some. I tend to agree though Rich...the S3 has a more accesible chassis, and the better potential.

[ QUOTE ]

However, the advantage is really at the rear end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not entirely sure about this...
The S3 has longer lower wishbones which allow more camber adjustment...so although the A3 and S3 front ends are very similar, the differences are enough to give an advantage to the S3 - especially when you use the adjustment present on the S3.

[ QUOTE ]

There are however ways around this, ways which i tend to fully exploit within a year or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I hear a haldex system retrofit being mentioned? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ooh...nice project...I'm intrigued... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

...but in standard form, this is debatable by some. I tend to agree though Rich...the S3 has a more accesible chassis, and the better potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

In standard form, yes. debatable but as you say, theres more scope.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not entirely sure about this...
The S3 has longer lower wishbones which allow more camber adjustment...so although the A3 and S3 front ends are very similar, the differences are enough to give an advantage to the S3 - especially when you use the adjustment present on the S3.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, but there are ways around it which i've discovered. Not yet done, but there are things to be done!

[ QUOTE ]

Do I hear a haldex system retrofit being mentioned? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ooh...nice project...I'm intrigued... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... not a million miles from the truth. I've got some ideas to investigate and see if they are viable. Should be though./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Rich