Chipping a 67K 2000 S3 - yes or no????

I

imported_bantam1

OK - I know this question has been asked in many different guises, and I have read through the archives in order to try and make my mind up but have failed to find anything to convince me one way or the other.

I own a 67K 2000 standard S3 and am starting to get used to the power. Obviously I would like to get it chipped but I am still worried about the potential consequences in terms of reliability and impending repair costs directly associated with the chipping.

Previous reassurances that I have read in the archives seem to be from chipped S3 owners who have newer cars with lesser mileage when getting them chipped. What I am really looking for is owners who have older higher mileage chipped S3s who may have been in a similar predicament to myself.

I am convinced that the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif factor of chipping the car will please me but I will be keeping this car for another 2-3 years and so need to be assured that I am in all probability not in for any nasty surprises if I do chip it. Annually I do up to 25K and so in those years of ownership the mileage will go well in excess of 100K.

So what should I do? Pleasure or peace of mind?

Come on someone tell me they have a 200K S3 that has been chipped since birth!!

Thanks a lot,

B.

IMO as long as the car has been serviced on a regular basis andis not drinking any oil, I would have no problems in having it chipped.

Make sure they do a diagnostic check before you have it chipped, otherwise-enjoy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
IMO as long as the car has been serviced on a regular basis andis not drinking any oil, I would have no problems in having it chipped.

Make sure they do a diagnostic check before you have it chipped, otherwise-enjoy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The car has been serviced every 10K before I had it. I have continued that and changed the oil every 5K. The car has not needed an oil top up once since I've had it.

Regards,

B

I've only done around 3000 miles since mine was chipped in May. Total mileage 33000.

Had no problems whatsoever.

I think engine wear and tear is down to how you drive a car, not simply because it is chipped.

You can drive a chipped car moderately and it will be under exactly the same conditions as if it were not chipped.

If you drive hard all the time, then a chipped car is going to work harder than non-chipped, and I suppose in theory it will wear more.

I love having the option. I don't tear around all the time, but when I need some extra fun or power - it's there beneath my boot.

I had my 1.8T chipped earlier in the year by AmD at approx. 70000 miles. Now done 79000 miles with no problems whatsoever. Fuel consumption has actually improved a little!

yeah do it, mine had done 70 odd now nearly at 100 no probs touch wood, audi engines are hard as nails. =)

I agree with the others, my 99' S3 was chipped at about 73K and i've now done 85k.
No problems at all and absolutely no regrets!!! Best money i've spent!!

Just do it.. you won't be disappointed.

I am in a similar situation as mine has now done 83k. It is just about to have it's cambelt service, water pump, vbelts and all the usual servicing (at McKenzies in Lichfield - i'll let you all know but they were recommended on here so I am expecting good things)

Then I need a couple of months to persuade my beautiful wife to let me blow £500 on a remap that will make my car go faster but not make me faster mmmm

Anyway. Want to do it - so it'll happen, but what is the life of a 20v 1.8t that's been chipped? 150k, 200k?

I do a fair amount of miles so I am very interested not to blow up £12k of motor car.

What do you all think?

What's the highest mileage we have on here?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway. Want to do it - so it'll happen, but what is the life of a 20v 1.8t that's been chipped? 150k, 200k?

I do a fair amount of miles so I am very interested not to blow up £12k of motor car.

What do you all think?

What's the highest mileage we have on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question - I'd like to know that as well. Shall we have a mileage survey?

What is the highest chipped and unchipped mileage on here??

We'll have to think of a prize for the winner.

Regards,

B.

Further to my post above, I have developed what might be a clutch problem this weekend:

Can't seem to post the link here but it's still on the first page of the forum titled clutch slip or boost leak. Here's hoping it's something cheap.

It may or may not be anything to do with the remap.