Where to "TEE"?

Neil-M

remedy
Reaction score
Right i am sorry to be asking this as it has been asked so many times before but i am torn and confused as to the best placement for tee'ing in the vac hose to run a boost gauge.

I have used the search function plenty and spent a fair bit of time reading up on this.
The most common way seems to be using the FPR vac line, but a fair few people also say to run from the "DV".
And not as common is to run from manifold?

I am just looking at the best location on my AUM 1.8t to save any future issues and to give the best indication for boost.

Once again i am sorry for repeating this age old question but found it hard to get a definitive answer as i am planning on doing this tomorrow i would rather repeat the question and get it right the first time.

Thanks in advance,

Neil.

Don't fit the t-piece into the FPR vac line. If you T into the FPR line and develope a leak/split in the hose you will run lean, which won't end well.

Best place is the DV.

its not the best idea to T into the FPR because you risk introducing a boost leak into the FPR line which will result in the engine running lean and subsequently hot.

Safe place is to T into the DV vac/boost line

Have you bypassed the N249 valve?

Nope everything is stock at the moment. To "T" into the stock DV is it the vac running from directly on top?

Images

Is this where i would be best off fitting the T?

the reason i asked if you'd bypassed the n249 is that if you haven't and you then T directly into the top of the DV then you may occasionally get odd boost readings as and when the ECU decides to open the DV using the vac reservoir. Ideally you would T into the vac line for the DV just after it comes off of the manifold and before it goes into the N249 valve gubbins......

not sure on that one but thought i'd mention it.... if it doesn't really matter then yeah where you have circled is fine

Thanks for that, i will be doing the bypass some time in the future. i have plumbed it as pictured above and im hitting 0.5 bar (About 7.25 psi) The car is completely standard as already said, does this seem correct?

Many thanks,

Neil.