Castrol SLX and SLX LongTec

dpeilow

Reaction score
Hi all,

My S3 is on the variable service program and I have always put Castrol SLX in it.

However, I went to Halfords last night and they've stopped selling it - instead we have SLX LongTec.

A quick read of the back of the bottle said that it is suitable for VW 502.00 and 503.01, so I bought it.

However, when I later looked in the manual, I saw that although I should be using 503.01, the 502.00 is only for engines on the fixed program.

I just went on the Castrol website and now I see that this SLX LongTec is for fixed servicing. There is still a page for the old style SLX that I know and love too.

So I phoned the dealer, and although they use Mobil 1, they said that the LongTec should be suitable for variable servicing.

Are you still with me? I don't think I am!

Anyway, before I throw this lot in the car, can anyone tell me whether it is safe to do so or not? Do they really have one oil to do both now?

Cheers,
Dave

I went to my dealer (Camberley AUDI) and asked for some oil and i was given this SLX Longtec stuff and was told that this is specificly for S3 and TT's.
So in it went...

Chris

I dont know, and thats what i told the dealer so thats what he gave me. Must be good for the car.

Any 503.01 compliant oil is suitable for S3s whether on fixed or variable service. My understanding is Castrol SLX is being retired gradually and replaced by Castrol SLX Longtec. Castrol SLX II Longlife stills remains but is for AVS audis apart from S3, TT 225 etc (since is only compliant to 503.00).

Upshot is, use Longtec and you'll have no worries...(just like you used SLX previously)

Aye, use SLX Longtec here. Its 503.01, so its fine.

As long as ot carries VW 503.01 it's fine.

I still carry SLX stock.

Cheers
Simon

Simon, have you heard anyhting about VW/Audi changing their engine oil spec?

The SLX Longtec is just the new name for SLX!!

It's just a renaming, no major changes etc..... no need to worry!

Guys,

the following is taken verbatim from the Feb 2004 edition of Audi Driver Magazine

--------------------------------

The development of Castrol's SLX LongLife II took more than 2 years of testing, the test parameters having been decided upon by VW. In fact , Castrol was the only oil company with the determination to see the whole test programme thorugh and that is why SLX LongLife II is the oil which should be used for the majority iof petrol and diesel engines with variable drain intervals.

Now castrol is introducing a new oil which will replace Formula SLX 0W-30. Don't confuse this with SLX LongLife II . The Formula SLX 0W-30 specification accords with three VW Group specifications :

502.00 - For petrol engines subject to arduos conditions and not subject to variable drain service intervals

503.01 - for the B5 RS4, TT , S3 with engines of more than 180 PS

505.00 - for all diesel engines prior to Model Year 2000

The new oil is called Castrol Formula SLX LongTec 0W-30. Like SLX LongLife II, SLX LongTec will have limited availability and will only be available in bulk to Audi centres, although one litre packs for topping up will also be availble from Audi centres.

--------------------------------

So as you can see, its supposed to be replacing Formula SLX...although my local halfrauds seems to be stocking LongTec in 4l packs contrary to what the article says, but at least in my halfrauds Formula SLX has disappeared.

HTH

evotista - thanks for clearing that up.

Indeed both the 1 litre and 4 litre are available in my local purveyor of quality car parts and bicycles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

Same here, halfrauds stock this round my way. I have just had a service using this oil.
On a slightly different note. Is it true that the S3 can go through up to a litre of oil every 1000miles?

Aaron

Audi Allow something like that, as within tolerance, but its rare to find one a s bad as that.

some are thirsty , neither of mine have been.

There are some changes a foot with VW specs which will hopefully simplify the current coding.

VW 500 00, VW 501 00, VW 501 01, VW 502.00, VW 503.00, VW 503.01

Will be covered by a new code VW 504.00

VW 505 00, VW 505 01, VW 506 00
VW 506 01

Will be covered by a new code VW 507.00

There are some new products appearing on the market carrying these codes like the new Fuchs Titan GT1 5w-30.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Simon

cheers Simon.

id heard that, but not really been confirmed.