Coolant Thermostat Symptoms....

mike.c1979

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im the proud new owner of a 1.8T Sport.

The temp gauge doesn't work, I scanned it and its come up as the coolant temp sensor.

Could this be causing the can to run a bit lumpy? Its the only code that came up.

Thanks in advance

Having that gone will meaning the engine will always think its cold and use more petrol as a result. Get it changed and you should see a slight increase in mpg :)

Thanks Darren.

Its booked in for the coil pack recall on the 4th. Its running lumpy so that maybe it.

Any idea on the price of the coolant thermostat at TPS?

Cheers

Was only searching up on this earlier, mine does exactly the same, despite giving mine a hammering (private road of course) it still reads at the lowest. Will get a new one on order tomorrow....cheers guys

Munch, is yours running rough, a bit lumpy like it has a misfire?

order one up only like a £10 if its not that atleast you know you got a new sensor in there.

I think you mean the Coolant Temperature Sensor - it is not the same as the Thermostat which you mentioned in the title. The thermostart from TPS with a new seal is somewhere under £20. I don't know about the cost of CTS maybe <£15.

When it comes to getting parts like this for your car you can get equivalent/cheap parts from ECP/GSF etc. however the general consensus of opinion is you get what you pay for - you'll get a few people who will tell you that cheap ebay CTSs or stats will be fine but from what I can tell most people end up being of the opinion "buy cheap buy twice" - so spend a few quid more and go to the dealer or better still TPS.

When I got my S3, I changed the CTS, stat with OEM parts and had the coolant system flushed and filled with a new load of VAG G12+++++++++++

Liam

Munch, is yours running rough, a bit lumpy like it has a misfire?

Its not misfiring, but missus has said recently that when she pulls away its sluggish. Have also noticed on idle, the revs spike and drop, o ly for a split second, but its noticable.
ive got no receipts to say its ever been replaced, so may replace the sensor and thermostat whilst I'm at it.