JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    Lord Of The Rings

Status

Exclamation Where Else Should I Look ??

I did one of my routine scans today and it threw up:

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
    P1297 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I first thought was that i will need to give the DV a service but after reading around it seems like it could be a boost leak.

All the threads say to check either the n249 or the hoses under the manifold but I've done the n249 bypass and fitted a catch can so where else would be a place to start looking?

Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

2. # ADS
    ADS

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Have you checked the pipes for the DV, charge pipe and intercooler pipes? I know the turbo to charge pipe, joint (usually red) can fail and leak.
    Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

6th Gear

Status
    Do you have a front mount? If so make sure all the pipes and hoses are very tight. If your still running the standard side mount, check the hoses that go down the back of the engine. I had this as one of the clips had failed and was causing some crazy idling

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Thanks for tall the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Vex182 View Post
    Have you checked the pipes for the DV, charge pipe and intercooler pipes? I know the turbo to charge pipe, joint (usually red) can fail and leak.

I didn't get a chance to check any hoses yet as it got too dark but i know the intercooler hose is ok.

I'm not sure if I've got any red hoses on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Do you have a front mount? If so make sure all the pipes and hoses are very tight. If your still running the standard side mount, check the hoses that go down the back of the engine. I had this as one of the clips had failed and was causing some crazy idling

I've not got a front mount yet.... Now you've come to mention it my idle is a bit erratic

Any other ideas ?
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

6th Gear

Status
    Id consider checking the throttle body hoses,pancake pipe. the pancake pipes isnt on a jubilee, its held in place by a metal clip(liek you fuel pressure regulator)

it does sound like a boost leak. If you can find it then it may be worth getting a smoke test done

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Id consider checking the throttle body hoses,pancake pipe. the pancake pipes isnt on a jubilee, its held in place by a metal clip(liek you fuel pressure regulator)

it does sound like a boost leak. If you can find it then it may be worth getting a smoke test done

Thanks mate ill have a look tomorrow.

I would love to get the car smoke tested but i cant find anywhere near me that can do it, i think i made a thread on here asking if anyone knew where i could get it done....lol

Silly question......

Apart from visually checking all the hoses what's the best way to track the leaks down?

I'm guessing it would be to have the engine running and then squeezing all the hoses while listening out for hissing?

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I've been out all morning looking for leaks and couldn't find any so i emptied my catch can and changed all the jubilee clips on the capped off pipes under the manifold and after taking the car for a quick wiz round the block it feels a lot better (but then this could just be in my head....lol).

Something I've never had before is that now when I'm in high boost I'm getting this symbol on the dash:

I think its just the ESP kicking in but is this normal everytime i put my foot down ?

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    My ESP light flashes up when I pull off very quickly or sometimes in 2nd if its very wet out but that's about it unless I'm cornering hard. Good to hear about feeling better!

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    My ESP light flashes up when I pull off very quickly or sometimes in 2nd if its very wet out but that's about it unless I'm cornering hard. Good to hear about feeling better!

Thanks mate

I still think I've got a leak somewhere but I'm finding it impossible to find it.

Does anyone have any tips of tracking them down?

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I scanned the car again to see if it had come back and what did i see.........

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
    P1297 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I cleared the code and took it out for a quick spin round the block and its not come back so it is intermittent.

Any other ideas ?

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Anyone

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Have you checked all the fittings for the intercooler? Might be good for someone to do a smoke test for you.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Have you checked all the fittings for the intercooler? Might be good for someone to do a smoke test for you.

Thanks mate, you seem to be the only one that's trying to help (must be good to be in the click)

Yes i checked the intercooler hose and everything seems ok.

I cant find any garages that knows what I'm talking about when i ask them about smoke testing for boost leaks

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    It is quite an hard fault to diagnose as it could be a few things...

wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17705/P1297/004759

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    That's no problem, silly question but valid, when you did your n249 bypass, did you make sure you left the sensor plugged in?

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    It is quite an hard fault to diagnose as it could be a few things...

wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17705/P1297/004759

I've had a look at that mate.

Possible Solutions
    • Check Hoses and Pipes between Components.....................................Checked.
    • Check / Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)......................Bypassed.
    • Check / Replace Diverter Valve............................................. ..............Checked.
    • Check / Clean Throttle Body.......................................Done 8 months ago but I've ordered a gasket from audi so i can do it again.
    • Check for Vacuum leak(s) including PCV system.................................Bypassed

You can see why I'm running out of ideas

That's no problem, silly question but valid, when you did your n249 bypass, did you make sure you left the sensor plugged in?

Yes mate all plugged in

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Are these the hoses i should be concentrating on (in blue):

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Car had its MOT today (passed ) and while it was in the air i checked all the hoses from under it and i still cant find any leaks

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    What a odd one! You checked the one that mounts directly to the turbo too? Really need a smoke test I guess, bill at badger5 can do them.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I changed my DV back to the standard one just to make sure but the code still comes back

When i google the fault code it just results in threads from people like me that are running out of ideas....lol