Sky InsuranceEM Tuning

Thread: S3 Tyre wear

Reverse Gear

Status

S3 Tyre wear

My S3 has destroyed its rear goodyear f1s in approx 4k miles. The fronts which were replaced at approximately the same time are like new, rears need replacing now, past wear marks. This seems a little strange on what is for the most part a front wheel drive car. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Numptie of the highest order

Status

Re: S3 Tyre wear

what have you been doing to your poor car springs to mind...

The more sensible thing that springs to mind is it uneven wear - that would point to wheel alignment being very wrong etc.

Neutral

Status

Sounds like this is becoming a common thing.

Status

How have they worn? Evenly across the tyre or on the edges?

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    My S3 has destroyed its rear goodyear f1s in approx 4k miles. The fronts which were replaced at approximately the same time are like new, rears need replacing now, past wear marks. This seems a little strange on what is for the most part a front wheel drive car. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it lowered?
    Lowered without adjustable tie bars sorting out the additional rear negative camber can wear tyres...but I doubt that quickly.

It killed the inside edges on mine...but like I say...not that quickly....it probably depends how low it is though.

Neutral

Status

This is the same problem that i am having but mine is at the front. Mine have worn on the inside edges and is nearlY down to canvass within 4k. Also mine is pulling to the left as i have mentioned in my other posts.

Reverse Gear

Status

they have worn evenly, inside edge and outside edge are equally worn. the car isnt modded, standard suspension etc.
    I'm guessing these tyres are a super soft compound as i got 4 times the mileage out of the last set.

6th Gear

Status

weird, most people seem to get about 10-14k outta goodyear f1's.

1st Gear

Status

My F1's have just done 15k & still have about 5mm all round!!!

I don't drive like a lune all the time... just occassionally!!! (most days!!)

imported_fingermouse

[ QUOTE ]
    My F1's have just done 15k & still have about 5mm all round!!!

I don't drive like a lune all the time... just occassionally!!! (most days!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the news i want to here tyres actually lasting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] have you rotated them ??? front torear

Reverse Gear

Status

nope, like i said fronts are like new, backs were illegal. So strange on what is for 90% of the time a front wheel drive car. The rear diff needed a service tho so maybe its related. We'll see how we get on from here now its got new rubber on the back.

1st Gear

Status

OK I have this same problem but on my fronts. The car has been driven hard both at Brands and at the 'ring. The tread in the central section is fine but both inner and outer edges are worn. I have a new set of F1s to put on but want to ensure the wear is normal or get the problem corrected asap. any help or advice?

6th Gear

Status

sounds like the tyres are under inflated. Tracking or camber will wear either inside or outside no both.

6th Gear

Status

if its both inner and outer edges, i'd say that its under-inflation of the tyres.

Status

Yep, another vote for under inflated tyres...

imported_Strider81

[ QUOTE ]
    nope, like i said fronts are like new, backs were illegal. So strange on what is for 90% of the time a front wheel drive car. The rear diff needed a service tho so maybe its related. We'll see how we get on from here now its got new rubber on the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct me if i am wrong but i was under the impression that the s3 was a permanent 4 wheel drive car? <font color="red"> </font>

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

correct me if i am wrong but i was under the impression that the s3 was a permanent 4 wheel drive car? <font color="red"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Not permanent I'm afraid, it only transfers drive to the rear wheels when the Haldex system senses the front wheels slipping.

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

Not permanent I'm afraid, it only transfers drive to the rear wheels when the Haldex system senses the front wheels slipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

and under hard accelleration. It should be able to predict that when you plant the pedal it will wheelspin, so will engage the rears early.

Neutral

Status

I thought I had read on here that the Haldex system put 15% to the rears at all time? Something from Haldex themselves springs to mind.

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought I had read on here that the Haldex system put 15% to the rears at all time? Something from Haldex themselves springs to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

when cruising, it disengages the rears completely to save on fuel economy, unless it feels a slip.

S3 Drift King!

Status

The Haldex question is a complex one, and would take a fair few pages to explain exactly how it works! To cut a long story short, Haldex is simply a clutch which engages the rear 'drive' when needed, so not permanent 4WD.

1st Gear

Status

Heard this discussion about the Haldex system many times. If this is the case you would expect the front tyres, given that it is supposed to operate in FWD mode most of the time and the additional forces imposed by the steering, to wear faster.

I am on my second S3 now and have gone through numerous sets of tyres of different makes and the same pattern always emerges. The rears wear down marginally (about 1mmm) faster than the fronts!! Pretty strange for essentially a FWD system?

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

Don't forget that the front tyres have to do all the steering and get the majority of the braking forces exterted on them.
    This will promote front tyre wear also.

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Heard this discussion about the Haldex system many times. If this is the case you would expect the front tyres, given that it is supposed to operate in FWD mode most of the time and the additional forces imposed by the steering, to wear faster.

I am on my second S3 now and have gone through numerous sets of tyres of different makes and the same pattern always emerges. The rears wear down marginally (about 1mmm) faster than the fronts!! Pretty strange for essentially a FWD system?

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC the Haldex engages drive when the front wheels rotate 15 degree more than the rears(slipping basically) or full throttle, so you can't actually feel the Haldex clutch engage, therefore, it's very difficult to wheelspin the fronts on it's own, which would account for the even wear rate. On my S3, the fronts wear quicker due to my style of driving. eg. hard cornering and the occasional trackday.

Status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine wears the fronts down much quicker than the rears.

I bought some new wheels (with new tyres) approx 1 year ago and have already changed the front tyres but the rears are still doing well with 4mm remaining.

Mainly motorway driving for me so mainly 2wd (FWD) action!

Numptie of the highest order

Status

Please read the links on the thread below regarding the Haldex system... there really interesting if you want to know how it works.

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/sho...true#Post339279

especially the first link. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How odd!
    My S3 was the only one I've driven / been in that had the chassis set up &amp; torque delivery to get the back into play under power easily...and would quite happily drift sidewards with all 4 wheels spinning...yet it still wore the fronts out before the rears...the rears certainly looked worn (chewed!) but the wear was always front biased.

I can't understand why the rears would wear first...very odd.

dik
    1st Gear

Status

i`ve got a set of toyo proxies on mine and the fronts have worn down far more than the front, in fact at 8k's worth of driving my fronts will need changing in about 2-3 months.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] rears are not bad, I may swap front to back?

Still I do enjoy the S quite a bit, and it does take quite a few bends on the way home at quite some pace.. (lots of lateral g's!!!)

They are wearing really evenly per tyre, but at 25 mph you'd swear someone had put sand in the bearings due to the tyres being worn down.. they make alot of noise..

1st Gear

Status

back to the tyre wear on the inner and outer edges, I too thought it was under inflation as this is typical but the tyres are checked fairly regularly and especially at the track. The wear is right at both edges doe sthis make a difference? It still could be the previous owner, perhaps? It's odd that it is both fronts don't you think or am i worrying over nothing. I will get the tyres changed over in the new year keep an eye on the pressures and check for wear.