Fans coming on - Friend's 1.6 A3 BLQ - fan switch or...?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been a while, so hope you lot are well!

Got an email from a mate of mine the other day, asking about advice on his 1.6 A3 - this was his email, can anyone shine any light on it? I have suggested it might be the temp sensor/sender as my S3 had a similar issue with the temp not being at 90'C and that fixed it... the other point might be the fan control switch, from a quick search on here?

"This is a bit random, but I'm having a problem with my 2003 8l A3. It's got the 1.6 BLQ engine.

We I start the car from cold or hot both fans come on. If I turn the climate control off no fans come on.

Surely the main fan shouldn't come on when it is cold as the engine needs to warm up as soon as possible?
I've replaced the thermostat housing, thermostat and the 2 sensors on the thermostat housing with no luck.

The car drives fine although the temp gauge sits a tiny tiny bit to the right of 12 o clock. "

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Sounds like the temperature sensor for A/C if you ask me.

If the control unit isn't getting plausible reading from the temperature sensor then it'll bash both fans on default to "cool" the condenser.

Sounds a bit like too much of a coincidence if they don't come on when the climate control is off.

Regards

Chris.