Can cone filters be detrimental to engine performance?

Purn

Reaction score
I've been led to believe that the installation of a cone filter can actually be detrimental to an engines performance, resulting in up to a 5bhp loss in power. Is smoothing the stock air box is a better option?

When I refer to a cone filter, I mean the kits that sit in the engine bay as oppose to a cold intake system with the filter located down at the the bumper.

Would be interesting to here peoples opinions and personal experiences of this and whether it really is the case.

BTW, I've got a 1998 1.8T, 150, AGU (which will be remapped as of next week, can't ****** wait!!).

Hi mate, yeh i doubt itl cause a drop in performance, maybe due to more air going past the maf might cause the actual requests to be lower, but when remapped it will open up more potential from the engine. That is if you buy the right one.

A jetex induction kit, a 007p recirc valve and away you go to about 190-200bhp with a remap on your agu.

Hi mate, yeh i doubt itl cause a drop in performance, maybe due to more air going past the maf might cause the actual requests to be lower, but when remapped it will open up more potential from the engine. That is if you buy the right one.

A jetex induction kit, a 007p recirc valve and away you go to about 190-200bhp with a remap on your agu.

That's what I wanted to hear! Lol. I've got the Forge Splitter jobby on there at the moment, which has the blank off valve installed so it isn't dumping any residual boost to atmosphere, fully recirculating with a very cliché K&N!

Yeh the split-r has a bad rep, atmospheric seems to be ok on the agu because of its dumb ecu tho. Have you got any other supporting mods?

Yeh the split-r has a bad rep, atmospheric seems to be ok on the agu because of its dumb ecu tho. Have you got any other supporting mods?

Just a de-cat pipe with stock exhaust mate. TBH, the car's only worth £1500 so I didn't want to go crazy with mods. I'd rather wait a year or so and spend 4-5000 grand on a nice S3.

But saying that, I'll probably whack a forge TIP on it and maybe a cold feed induction kit, and maybe a K03s, a Miltek cat-back exhaust and a nice set of coil overs!! LOL!! Who am i kidding!!

Reactions: camscockle20vT
Ha yes the modding bug takes a grip, you are best off saving your money and upgrading to a faster car thats got the power you want, but in saying that the s3 would need a fair bit of mods to keep up with a properly sorted agu with ko3s running about the 230-40bhp mark, which is achievable nowerdays.

Iv had plans to mod but have found that whenever i start the car get wrote off or i sell it becsuse its too much agro to spend lots of money on a fundamentaly floored car. Choose your mods wisely and dont chase numbers is what they always ssy on here :)

Good luck anyway and post up your future mods.

Issue with a cone filter in the bay is it sucks in hot air rather than cold from outside the bay. You need proper shielding and a cold air feed.

I fitted the badger 5 tip which made good gains on my standard map S3.

i wanted to see what bolting the jetex air filter and heat shield would give me on top still running a standard map and I saw with the liquid gauge a 1 bhp peak gain but a drop of 8lb ft torque. For this reason I removed the filter and stuck with my original air box, I can't vouch for a mapped car...
Like has been said, a decent cold air feed might of helped with the air filter.

tested on dyno, on westies I think @ the time, another 7bhp power was gained over a piperx panel in modded airbox with JR open cone + heatshield

No losses (on dyno) - ignore liqui for power measurements, its vague at best judging from airflow only

depends on the car and depends on the filter....
different filters on that skyline you notice...

also notice no change in power whether it had cold air feed or not

at least they were'nt strapping on leaf blowers onto this car - lol