What Oil??????

Den13

Reaction score
Hi All Just Wondering What Oil Is Best For An 1.6 2002 With 72,000 Been Reading That Its Normaly 5-30 Or 5-40????

Hi All Just Wondering What Oil Is Best For An 1.6 2002 With 72,000 Been Reading That Its Normaly 5-30 Or 5-40????

Quantum Platinum 5w40 fully synthetic i think ;)

I've always used 0w40 mobil1 fully synth (which has the vw/audi approvals) but then it never gets under 3c here unless I go down to the snow.

I've always used 0w40 mobil1 fully synth (which has the vw/audi approvals) but then it never gets under 3c here unless I go down to the snow.

0w here would be shocking.

10w40 Quantum gets my vote.

Uve been using quantum 5w40 but I think I'll switch to 10w40 on mg next oil change

I have been using 5w 30 fully thought that was the recommended ?

For the later S3 it is. I was told by my oil man, the VW/Audi spec here for the 1.8t is 0w40 and the 8p and mk5/6 use 5w30. Might differ with temps.

Just realised the dudes asking about a 1.6 though...

Ok cool thanks Sam the question is will 5w 30 be ok for the car as I have 3 5l bottles of the stuff

I would put 10w 40 as these engines r getting old mate... my mechanic advised me of that..

Hey guys thanks for the reply I think I am going to go with 10 40 castrol magnatec should I get part or fully synthetic and how much will I be needing thanks

get fully synthetic and change it and the oil filter every 6 months mate. iirc 1.6 use 4.6 ltrs (dont qoute me on that mate)

Another vote for 5W30. I specifically choose Castrol Magnatec - I buy it when it's on offer at Halfords.

I've always sworn by it ever since I put it in my old 3 series and the performance increase was notable - this is because the garage put part synthetic in rather than fully synthetic, may I add. I know an engine oil isn't going to suddenly give an engine extra boost or anything.

Ok thanks for the replys again might try the5 30 sorry for all the kinda dumb questions just its not my car it's the mrs i get to buy all the stuff and she dose it herself tho so it's not all that bad lol​