finally my s3 has given me a problem HEEEELLLLPPP!!!!

ali50ferrari

Reaction score
Hi people, i filled up my tank on the s3 on the 9th of november right to the brim walked in and saw some redex injector system cleaner and thought hey why not, used it before in plenty of my old cars bearing i mind none of them were turbocharged all naturally aspirated, anyhow tank full i put in the redex on top picked up the mrs and about 15 miles into my journey the car throws up the engine management light wtf! little yellow coloured light in the mph display, car isnt running right struggling to pick up speed, drive to my destination car is running horrible as i was driving the light would flash intermittently the just stay on. left the car parked for bout 2 hours came back to it everything is ok? no bad idle nothing drive for 10 mins and light goes on and struggles to pick up speed! get back to my house call a friend who has a computer says bring it round, as im drivig to his car starts running perfect no problem? but light is on still, he plugs it in and comes up with an injector no.3 mis fire? reset it and every thing is ok, give it a nice drive and no problems take it home i park it up for 2 days in garage, start today at 7am no problems go to work just fine, after finishin work 6pm start car and judderin is back idle is rough then light comes on !!! what is happenin!!! help please

what has happened has the redex damaged my engine/injection system?
what can i do?
is it common that a coil pack has failed coincidently at the same time?
any clues or advice please

T.I.A to anyone who can shed some light on this subject, yes i Agre im a **** for putting redex in it. :-(

Ive used reddex with no problems and from the sound of it i would say its just pure coincidence. get it on VAG-COM and scan for codes, could well be coil packs

Nige

can u elaborate please why would you say this? do you think the redex has cleared some dirt off and its clogged in the system?

No we dont think the reddex has done anythng, it just pure coincidence, get it scanned on VAG-COM and most llikely youll find that you have a dodgy coil pack. Absolutely no connection between coil packs and reddex in your fuel.

Untill you scan it youll be taking stabs in the dark as to the problem mate.

I think its just a coincident that the cars start playing it, could be a fulty coilpack or coilpack wiring loom on its way out, check the electrical connection to the injector then check the coilpack and its wiring. Also try and get it scanned via vag-com.

ok kool man will investigate this further is it hard to change the harness or coil pack on a s3?

Coil packs are dead easy and usually require no more than 1-2 minutes and just yours hands on most models! Some older ones are bolted down. The coil pack wires are a little more annoying to do, so I hear. I would also suggest checking your spark plugs, last time I had a mis-fire, it turns out that I had melted a Bosch spark plug.

These 1.8T engines, in whatever application are notorious for failing coilpacks when the outside temps drop. I guess the latest versions are more reliable.

check the coil pack harness, especially on no3, if its fine swap no3 coil with another coil, take it for a drive untill the same fault happens and plug it in to your mates computer again, if its still no3 and your harness is fine i bet you have a blocked injector, if its now the other cylinder thats got a missfire the coil is the culprit

If it was a blocked injector, then I'd say it would stay blocked. If its running for a couple of minutes before misfiring, then I'd suspect coil pack or harness as already suggested.

No 3 and 4 coil packs are more difficult to get to, as they're under some breather system bits and pieces, but still not difficult.

PS Every 1.8t owner should always carry a spare coil pack in the boot! :)

Thats exactly what the machine said a fault at coil 3 , hmm also it does idle fine for a few minutes then it starts playing up, hope its jus a coil and nothing serious!

I've suffered coil pack failure on both my current S3 and previous A4 1.8t quattro. The A4 was within 20 miles of a remap, the S3 just after changing spark plugs.

On my S3, the morning after changing plugs, I was driving to work and suddenly it was running on 3 cylinders. The CEL light was flashing, there was a horrible smell of burning and I thought it was serious. I stopped the car, checked, restarted it and it was fine for 1/2 mile and then it started misfiring again.

I swapped out the 1 and 2 coil packs for my spare, but it was still misfiring, so then had to get the toolkit out to change 3 or 4. I swapped out number 3 and it was fixed, and has been fine ever since.

Coil packs do go, sometimes gradually, sometimes spectacularly, but they will all eventually fail. Put them under extra load such as remaps, new plugs or just cold weather and old age, and they can fail.

From the description of your problem, it does sound like a coil pack or harness fault, both easy to fix. Hope that's all it is!

Redex shouldn't have done anything to your engine, it's just a bit of kerosene mostly anyway isn't it?!

I think it's just coincidence, go buy a new coil pack and see how you go. I got mine from ECP, a BERU branded German made set, worked out at just over £20 each with the ever running discount codes they have.

If you do get a coil pack go for a genuine one, if you have a TPS near you, get it from there at trade price, works out about £25 and it will come with a 2 year warranty.

Before you buy your coilpacks give your local audi garage a call and see if you entitled to a coil pack recall saves you moneys.
So you can spend that money on a remap :D
Grant

ok guys got a coil pack all advice on tips here to remove things is appreciated reading through i can see the 2 coil packs under the breather pipes how do i access these?

well it was coil pack 4 tried no 3 remained the same switched them round and no 4 was the culprit but still have a slight misfire, friend is saying to reset the faults and this may go away what you guys think?

Good advice above, if one has gone the others are probably not far behind, and certainly won't be in the first flush of youth.

Mate can you give proper details of your S3, eg year and engine code.

There is a recall running at audi code: 28E9 which replaces faulty coil packs, if they are one of the part numbers in the recall.

All you have to do is call your local Audi and explain you are ringing about the recall, they will check your vin number and tell you if you are part of it or not, they will check the car and if there are any faulty ones, will replace FOC...simple as that, will save you a fair bit if they are all replaced :)

Changed all four coil packs and all four spark plugs with genuine platinum plugs but no joy still missing and engine light is flashin intemittent, whats happened to my s3?????

Have you cleared all the only codes and checked for any others? Are the wires to the coilpacks all good? No splits or damage?

Yh coilpack connections are fine all codes were cleared and then drove on for a few mins then the eml started flicking intermittently then it remained on and the car started judderin slightly, went home parked it amd after 1 hour started it and ran fine for afew minutes despite the eml bein on drove perfect and then the eml started flashing and started to miss again. Im missin drivin it man!! Heeeeelllllppppp please!!!!!

If the EML is back on after the previous codes have been cleared, then there should be a new fault code generated and stored.

You need to scan the car again, and double check the coil pack wiring, as in the whole length of it, not just the connectors. The wiring can become brittle and have increased resistance when old, they don't always show obvious signs of being dud.

Im not sure about the blocked injector idea, with 1.8t's, it's usually coil packs and/or vacuum leaks that throw EML's. Did you disturb any of the vacuum lines when replacing the packs? Are the packs brand new?

coil pack harnesses are still the old ones, will get it scanned and then will report back........ :-((

this has really ****ed me off monday it is booked in as i have limited use of my mates computer! ********

hmm maybe i can shed some light?.....

Ive had similar issues with my S3 (AMK)

Mine recently started to run lumpy. Revs going up and down, almost stalling - i also had other issues but not related to your problem.
Engine light came on - had misfires in cylinders 1,3 &4!!

The culprit - a vacuum pipe under the the inlet manifold.
Was easy to figure this out as you'll be able to hear a hissing noise while the engine is running.

After i had replaced the pipe - all good untill yest.
Misfire in cylinder 1 - checked the coil pack and it had given in - which surprised me as they were recently done under the recall by audi, checked the spark plug and it looked old and tired.
fitted new spark plugs and a new coil pack on cylinder 1 and its running sweet as a nut again

You've already done all the spark side of things. Just start it up and listen for any hissing - you'll hear it over the sound of the engine.
Chances are its just a old hose thats given up.

Ali, just so you know I now have a full version VCDS cable. I am not that far from you (LU1). Only thing is I havent really used it so not to up on what to do with it. You are welcome to come around and we have a tinker :)

ah slydog that is appreciated pm me and i will send you my number we can chat really need this solved!!!

Turns out injector no.3 is dead, so replacememt is coming from audi car should be back to life tomorrow cant wait!!!!!

Yup replaced injector and the car is drivin really good, so 4 coilpacks and 4 spark plugs and a no.3 injector car is back to life on redbull! Much more responsive, turns out injector 3 was broke inside!!

Glad to hear its sorted mate, not very common for a injector to go at all.