Audi S3/A3 illuminated heater vent surrounds/chrome handles?

Markb

Reaction score
As subject did the facelift S3/A3 have illuminated heater vent surrounds/chrome adjusters?

If so has anyone got any pictures?

Finally how would you go about wiring in the illuminated heater vent surrounds?

Cheeers Mark.

dont have the chrome adjuster but have the illumination. i remeber somone a while back (quite a while) in his leon cupra r upgraded his, hope this helps

[ QUOTE ]
As subject did the facelift S3/A3 have illuminated heater vent surrounds/chrome adjusters?

If so has anyone got any pictures?

Finally how would you go about wiring in the illuminated heater vent surrounds?

Cheeers Mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes facelift models did have the illumination and chrome adjusters.

Someone did the mod a few months back... Have a search and see what you can find.

Cheers
Rich,

[ QUOTE ]
I have a set waiting to be fitted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[/ QUOTE ]

How much were they matey?

Also are the ones you have with chrome adjusters?

Finally have you got the part numbers for the ones you ordered just to confirm things.

Cheers!

We did a group buy on seatcupra.net for them,as they are the same for the leon,the no on the centre one is 8L2 820 951 B98,side ones 8LO 820 901C B98.We had them from vag parts cost £76.91 all in and yes they are the ones with brushed steel adjusters . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

Mark, I picked up a set of the illuminated/chrome vents yesterday from a breakers yard. Cost me a tenner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

At reading fest this weekend so if you can wait for a few days I'll post some part numbers and wiring details for ya when I get back.

Oh yeah they fit the pre facelift A3 really well. Do they F*ck. What a F*cking ball ache mine have been /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I spent the best part of 8 hours fitting mine and I have got one side vent in and a centre vent hanging out with broken adjusters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

They must be slightly different to the to the pre facelift ones. Anyway after breaking six of the adjusters on the drivers side one I realised that it wasn’t going to fit so out came the dremel and sanding block and I ended up grinding and sanding loads off it. Then I had to open up the original driver’s one and pinch the adjusters out of it to replace the broken ones in my new one. Anyway that ones now in, but doesn’t sit right at the bottom.

As for the centre one that just doesn’t look like it’s going to fit what ever I do. I’ve also broken 4 of the adjusters in side that one doing it as well.

So I am a bit P*ssed off with them at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I would love to know how you get on HTC, because I am about to bin them and put standard ones back in.

[ QUOTE ]
Mark, I picked up a set of the illuminated/chrome vents yesterday from a breakers yard. Cost me a tenner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine cost a lot more then that from Audi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

im sure leon dashboards are the same as the facelift a3's though, just the differences are the illumination.

looks like you got plenty of money round you then markb.

ill try catch up with you soon see how things are goin

Just an update for you. I now feel so stupid/annoyed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

After giving up on my Center vent I came to fit the passenger side vent and guess what? It went straight in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Turns out Audi had supplied me with 2 Passenger side vents, and after modifying and using brute force I had managed to just about get the passenger side (Which I thought was the drivers side) to fit in the drivers side.

So the reason the center vent wasn't fitting is because I had got it upside down, because I was going by the passenger side vent in the driver’s side which had the illustration on the adjuster the wrong way round.

So now after fixing my center vent with the slats out of the original one I now have a passenger side and a center vent in and wired up, and the wiring in ready for my drivers side one.

I am just awaiting Audi to get a drivers side one into stock now and I will swap my passenger one for a drivers one and the job will be a good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will get pictures next weekend once I have sorted it all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just feel so annoyed that I spent the best part of 8 hours longer then I needed because Audi had sent the wrong part. Which meant that I broke and repaired 2 vents + modified them for no reason. If only I had started on the passenger side first. Oh well I guess that's life for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
im sure leon dashboards are the same as the facelift a3's though, just the differences are the illumination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had loads of money. Well I've got a bit from working 108 hour weeks for the past couple of months, but that will all be gone soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6AM -10PM / Mon - Fri
7AM -7PM / Sat
8AM - 8PM / Sun

Yeah if you are about up Fez near the end of Sept I would love to catch up then you can have a look at what I've been up to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah if you could also keep your eyes open for that other part I am after that would be great.

Go steady Markb - not healthy doing that.. been there.. still do to some extent, but try v hard not to nowadays! 6 people, (incl 4 teeenagers) on one income, so you do what you have to, but hey dont go falling asleep at the wheel of that nice motor.. good luck

An here was me thinking all A3/S3's had illuninated vents..

Sorry, would haven't posted earlier. Still recovering from Reading!!

Anyways, I've just trial fitted the facelift vents and they slotted straight in.

The centre vent does indeed need to be fitted a certain way round. The wires on the later vent need to be at the top.

As for the side vents, they are not "sided". The dealer was correct to supply you with two the same. When fitted to the car, both vents have the control on the left hand side.

The part numbers are as follows (for other people)

Side vent (x2) = 8L0 820 901 C
Centre vent = 8L2 820 951

A couple of side notes:
There is a special tool available to remove the vents, but you can make your own. I take a pic and post it later.

The ducts begind the vents need to have a small hole drilled to allow the wiring through. I examined the car I from the breakers, which was like this.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, would haven't posted earlier. Still recovering from Reading!!

Anyways, I've just trial fitted the facelift vents and they slotted straight in.

The centre vent does indeed need to be fitted a certain way round. The wires on the later vent need to be at the top.

As for the side vents, they are not "sided". The dealer was correct to supply you with two the same. When fitted to the car, both vents have the control on the left hand side.

The part numbers are as follows (for other people)

Side vent (x2) = 8L0 820 901 C
Centre vent = 8L2 820 951

A couple of side notes:
There is a special tool available to remove the vents, but you can make your own. I take a pic and post it later.

The ducts begind the vents need to have a small hole drilled to allow the wiring through. I examined the car I from the breakers, which was like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got two in, but the one I had for the drivers side was defo wrong as it did not fit well. Where as the passenger and the centre fit well (Once the right way round)

Yes I know about the wiring cheers. Well I didn't how they were from the factory, but I drilled some holes for mine like you said.

Any ideas why my drivers one doesn't want to fit then?

Cheers.

Some pics for ya.

Mark, as you can see my original vents were not sided and have the same parts numbers.

Drivers vent,
01-DriverAirVentOld.jpg

Passenger vent,
02-PassengerAirVentOld.jpg

Here are the new vents fitted:

Drivers new,
03-DriverAirVentNew.jpg

Passenger new,
04-PassengerAirVentNew.jpg

Centre new,
05-CentreAirVentNew.jpg

Heres the home made removal tool. To make the job easier, I made two of them. Believe me it looks very much like the official item!!
06-RemovalTool.jpg

You feed the tools through the vent and hook at the top on the side vents,
07-SideVentToolPosition.jpg

and at the sides on the centre vent,
08-CenterVentToolPosition.jpg

And then pull them out.

Mark, I really can't say why your drivers side vent doesn't fit except for perhaps a badly made part??

The parts catalogue only seems to list a single part. CLICK ME

I'll be interested to see what part number the dealer has used to order the new part. Hopefully the new part does the trick.

Cheers HTC.

Yeah I'll see what the dealer comes up with.

By the way what breaker do you use for your parts?

Cheers.

Mark,

How much are the 3 vents from Audi? My centre one is damaged, so really need to replace it anyway so may aswell upgrade one time!

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Rich, should be £86.14 inc vat for all three vents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Kev. Will sort this out soon.

Rich

So how do these wire up to be illuminated? anyone got a pic of the lights switched on?

[ QUOTE ]
So how do these wire up to be illuminated? anyone got a pic of the lights switched on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've removed the cig lighter and ash tray in my car for audio purposes. So I now have a wire that was used for the light on the ash tray that brightens and dips with the interior lights. I've then run three separate wires from the vents and soldered and heat shrunk the wires to the original wire. A lot of hassle removing all of the dash to do it, but looks good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll get pics if you want, but my dash is in bits again at the mo LOL

They are all wired up together and then connected to the grey/blue wire at the back of the headlight switch, but you can connect into the cig lighter if you want like mark says.

Earth them where ever you like, as long as its to the chassis. Don't use a wire to earth to. There is a big earthing point under the driver's side panel or in the kick panels.

I'll be wiring mine tomorrow if I get time. I'll post pics if no one else does.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll be wiring mine tomorrow if I get time. I'll post pics if no one else does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've earthed mine back to the same earth as the cig lighter.

I will get some pics of mine tomorrow if I remember. I'll also have some pics of other stuff I've been up to as well LOL.

we want pics, we want pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've been nuff busy over the last few days. Gonna try and get them wired this week if I can and I get you some pics.

On a side note, does anyone know where to get reliable LED bulbs? The LED bulb in my boost gauge has gone for the second time :-(

LED's shouldn't just go like that, they last for ages. Most likely cause is a voltage spike and they burnt out.

I see.
I thought that having them connected to the variable brightness circuit may have done it, but the factory dash insert bulbs are leds and they are fine.

I'll take another look at my wiring, but that should be fine.

[ QUOTE ]
I see.
I thought that having them connected to the variable brightness circuit may have done it, but the factory dash insert bulbs are leds and they are fine.

I'll take another look at my wiring, but that should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had mine on that circuit, but ended up changing it and wiring it to the same circuit as the glove box light as the LED was not bright enough on that circuit. Had no problems, but then again I've modified a Side light holder from a car and I am using a 5W ultrabright side light LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Bright, but still could be brighter, but I think that's the brightest bulb I am going to get to fit.

[ QUOTE ]
we want pics, we want pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry forgot all about it mate. Cars gone for a few weeks after today as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif