2003 S3 rear Springs how to??

epox

Reaction score
hi
any links or stickys on how to replace the rear springs on s3, o and best place to buy standard springs.

thanks mark

i did have a look around the forum before posting this.

hi seen that one. looke like a front wheel drive, any differance for the quattro?

cheers mark

@epox, I take it you know what you are doing with regards to changing suspension right? I've not done it myself personally on my S3, and even I found it a piece of cake! It's pretty straight forward, just one bolt on either side of the car, 2x10mm bolts for the xenon height adjuster on the passenger side, the rest is the time consuming job of jacking the car up onto axle stands, taking the wheels off and using jacks to raise and lower the trailing arm to get access to the springs!

I'm trying to replace the o/s/r spring on mine and can't do it by just unbolting the shock/droplink and pushing down on the trailing arm. Can't get the spring compressors in there either. Do you need to loosen the driveshaft nut when taking off the tie arms from the rear hub. Are the tie arms a nightmare to back in position ?

I'm trying to replace the o/s/r spring on mine and can't do it by just unbolting the shock/droplink and pushing down on the trailing arm. Can't get the spring compressors in there either. Do you need to loosen the driveshaft nut when taking off the tie arms from the rear hub. Are the tie arms a nightmare to back in position ?

They should just pop out once you have the shock/drop link and push down on the trailing arm, just give it a tug, if you are struggling, then a crowbar or large screwdrivers should be enough leverage to pop the spring out.
I had not attempted it before myself, and I still managed to do it on my drive on a couple of axle stands!

some times they can be rusted to the bottom plate iirc, get a screw driver between it and the control arm to free it, done it 3 or 4 times on mine.

mark

It had rusted to the base plate on the trailing arm (well the broken part did !) anyway I did free that off and get it out. Maybe it needs a bit of lubrication on the plate and I probably need to apply more pulling force if that's the case...
If I manage to get the old one out, I can't see me getting the new one (oe, not lowering type) back in without compressors.
When I did the LH one a short while back I did it with two coil compressors and the top track arm disconnected and that was proper hard work. This side doesnt want to have the compressors I've got.

Cheers for the advice