Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Rear Windscreen wiper stuttery/water jet not working-any ideas?

Dear All,

Have about 5 mins on pc so there may already be threads for my issues (I apologise if this is the case!) I have the following problems

1/Rear windsceen wiper works but is sometimes stuttery across the back screen,is it a possible switch issue?

2/ My rear washer jet is not working can hear motor but no water coming out?, I think this maybe like what I had in golf mk4 pipe split or come off,gotta remove back boot panel etc.

On another note I am missing the owners manual have everything else in the leather wallet, any ideas other than ebay where I can get hold of a copy ie hard copy or electronic?

Many Thanks

Jason

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    1) renew rear wiper blade?
    2a) popped hose: Park car somewhere dry. Operate rear screen wash for a good few seconds. Wait a few mins and then check under the car for puddles for indication which hose join has popped.
    2b) Or, the wiper mechanism has rusted inside?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Neutral

Status
    Thanks Alex!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
    2a) popped hose: Park car somewhere dry. Operate rear screen wash for a good few seconds. Wait a few mins and then check under the car for puddles for indication which hose join has popped.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
    Yup like alex said, renew the wiper blades first. But sometimes, I had to, you need to 'adjust' the angle of the wiper arm to stop the 'judder'.

Try and use your nose to locate where the washer fluid is ending up, common places for the tubes to pop off are in the boot left side panel near the CD changer/sub/alarm sounder, or tubes can split/pop off the motor assembly.

If the tubes are still attached, and you can smell/locate washer fluid in the tail gate, there's a metal pipe which the washer fluid goes through inside the motor to get to the outside. When this seizes, the pipe splits and all the washer fluid goes inside you motor and rusts it. It can also make the wiper motor do some funny things.

If you switch on your rear wiper, look at the spray nozzle, it should stay pointing up (vertical) all the time. If it rotates when the arm rotates then it's that tube in side the motor.

It's easy to get the boot cover off - but be careful you can break it.

You can replace the whole motor unit for around £70 - £120 depending on where you go or get a rebuild kit from Audi/TPS for about £35.

If you find the pipe connectors have split etc. then get some pvc/vinyl tubing and some generic connectors instead of getting original parts.

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

5th Gear

Status
    A quick way to tell if the thin tube is broken in the rear wiper mechanisum is put wiper on and see if jet head turns with wiper. If it does then its likely its broken as there surpossed to just squirt in one place and the wiper pass threw it.
    Ive been Badger 5'd

Can we break the magic 300?????? In a word Yes 314 BHP 249 lbft at Badger 5

Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    steves is way quicker than any stock turbo'd s3 i have driven
    I only date skinny Women! They keep my power to weight higher...

1st Gear

Status
    Im having a similar issue, but this time i cant actually hear any motor or any kind of noise (when trying to use the rear spray jet) could this be a fuse out?

or is it likely a faulty motor or the part that attaches to the bottle in the engine bay?

thanks.

James

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpickering View Post
    Im having a similar issue, but this time i cant actually hear any motor or any kind of noise (when trying to use the rear spray jet) could this be a fuse out?

or is it likely a faulty motor or the part that attaches to the bottle in the engine bay?

thanks.

James
    Checking fuses would be a good first step.

Switch the ignition on, open the window, open the bonnet, stand by the washer bottle as close as you can while pulling the stalk the correct way. You should hear the pump running - I think it's the same pump for the front and rear washers.

I've used a MityVac pump in the past to help track down blockages and splits in the washer pipework

If it's a broken tube you'll be getting a puddle water somewhere ...

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

1st Gear

Status
    vfr800, thank for the advice bud.

I checked the fuses this morning,

there is only the one fuse for the pump overall, it can't be that because the front washer jets work (i did check it anyway) and that was fine.

so there doesn't seem to be an issue with the fuse. I'm fairly sure that i'm not getting a puddle of water anywhere, but have just remembered that i can't actually fill the washer bottle up to anywhere past about half (maybe 2 litres) as it all starts leaking out, so i guess there could be a crack in the bottle or something to do with the rear pump being loose? anyone experienced this?

also, when looking at my fuses this morning, i realised that my headlight washer jets aren't working, so i changed the fuse (for the correct 20A one) and then turned the ignition back on, put my headlights on and tried to spray the washer jets, the window ones(front) worked fine as usual but i physically saw(the fuse cover was still off) the 20A fuse for the headlight washer blow as soon is i tried it!!

anyone know why it would do this?

Thanks again,

James

4th Gear

Status
    The water leaking out of the bottle is NOT a good sign. Sounds like you need a new pump for the headlight washers.

I replaced mine last week as it was just dead, but I have seen posts that they can split and leak water through.

Best bet is to go on fleabay - there are some febi/bilstein ones around for £20 in delivery. The only thing is you'll need to trim the connector on the new switch with a craft knife to remove a plastic 'key' on the plug, don't worry it's very obvious when you try to plug the pump in.

When you replace the pump, I found it was easiest to remove the bumper and headlight to get to the pump and tubing. This will allow you to check everything is connected properly.

Liam

EDIT: Forgot to say, if the pump is that far gone, it'll be shorting out internally and causing the fuse to blow. Try filling the washer bottle up with water and look to see where the water comes out. I found using cheap screen washer knackered and clogged up the washer jets - screen and headlight. I'm not ONLY using the VAG "Windscreen Clear" stuff G052164M2 and it's much much better than any thing else IMHO.

Neutral

Status
    I just ordered the rear wiper rebuld kit from Audi £40 inc VAT.

Another job for the weekend!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mi7rennie View Post
    I just ordered the rear wiper rebuld kit from Audi £40 inc VAT.

Another job for the weekend!
    When I rebuilt mine and fitted it went crazy, I had to remove and dismantle it to clean the contacts properly with contact cleaner - so make sure you do this.

Liam

Neutral

Status
    Alright, will do. Cheers!