S3 8L facelift - mixing springs - Eibach front and standard rear

Mi7rennie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm slowly working through the issues on my S3.

I have found it has a broken rear spring and need to get it replaced ASAP before a road trip in a couple of weeks.

I'm considering fitting the standard springs to the rear and leaving the Eibach lowering springs on the front.

Has anyone ever run mixed springs on their S3, anything I could do to the standard spring to lower the ride height a little? maybe remove some of the rubber components that make up the spring seats?

Hi Guys,

I'm slowly working through the issues on my S3.

I have found it has a broken rear spring and need to get it replaced ASAP before a road trip in a couple of weeks.

I'm considering fitting the standard springs to the rear and leaving the Eibach lowering springs on the front.

Has anyone ever run mixed springs on their S3, anything I could do to the standard spring to lower the ride height a little? maybe remove some of the rubber components that make up the spring seats?

I've ran Apex rear springs(eibach rears snapped aswell:() an Eibach fronts on mine to pass the MOT! lol There's nothing wrong with running different springs, the balance of the car will be effected I guess, as springs are usually matched front to rear for ride and firmness. Just buy a whole new set of lowering springs bud.

Well I was looking at that, the individual Eibach springs, but they aren't too cheap on their own.

I have the standard springs here, so it wouldn't cost me anything.

Was thinking of fitting the AP coilovers in the spring, so I just wanted something to keep me going until then....

I just wonder what the ride height difference will be? The Eibachs seem quite low at the back.

Fitted the standard rear springs today, looks good, maybe 10mm more arch gap on the rear, not taken it for a hard drive yet, but its got to be better than a broken spring!

pics ! i'm thinking of jus lowering the rear due to a cracked spring

Picture of the S3 with Eibach front and standard rear springs, I think it looks pretty good!

20121120_132006.jpg

20121121_124407.jpg

Another couple, I think the stance looks about right but the rear does feel a little soft when pushed on bumpy roads.

i'm thinking about just lowering the rear but wouldnt want to go anymore than 15mm however cant even find 15mm springs so 20mm may be the only option

I ran H&R at the rear and OEM up front for a week or two - that was proper shait I can tell you. The car was close to unpredictable.

My care recently brok an Eibach spring, it was less than a year old and got replaced (in pairs) under warranty. Was a bit disappointed though, car had done about 3,000 miles in 10 months, to an from work, no uneven roads and well looked after, are Eibach as good as they should be?

My care recently brok an Eibach spring, it was less than a year old and got replaced (in pairs) under warranty. Was a bit disappointed though, car had done about 3,000 miles in 10 months, to an from work, no uneven roads and well looked after, are Eibach as good as they should be?

Mine lasted 25k odd miles, but over 7 years or so before one of the rears snapped.

is there a part number for these springs ?

I'm sure there is, but I don't know it. They are also marked with pink dots or something, so you can tell them apart from original factory springs. I do believe from past readings these were an optional extra on european(non uk) S3's, but on UK spec S3's these springs came standard for cars which had the 18" RSTT's rims ticked as an optional extra?

ah ha. The springs I just fitted on the back have the pink dot. Does that mean it's a sport spec spring? ?

hi,ive just swapped my rear apex springs for the standard springs,and to be honest it looks miles better,mine had for pink dots on them and the rear only sits 10mm higher than the front,i know its not the best idea to have mixed springs but for the miles i do ( 30 miles per week) it does me,and in my opinion alot better looking ride height