Headlight Level Adjuster switch

rraghvani

Whoever does not try, does not learn.
Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
Has anyone installed or has a headlight level adjuster switch similar to this (switch far right).

4250225.jpg

If yes, could you provide the part number, also, werethere any special wiring needed? I’m looking for one, for my Audi S3 (2002)

Thanks.

Can I ask why you want to do this?

The S3 doesn't have the switch as the Xenon's are self levelling anyway?

Although the headlight switch would fit, the wiring to the levelling switch won't be there. I'm not sure either that the levelling motors in the S3 are the same as a non xenon car, so the wiring would likely be hell....

I know that they are self-levelling, and they do adjust accordingly. My headlights were adjusted when I got my MOT done. They point downwards, and can barely aluminate a number plate. I don’t have VAGCOM to adjust them, hence inquiring about this.

If they are ponting down then its most likely a broken level sensor (rear one is typical) or the motors are gone... normally its just the one motor but as both yours are pointing down then its more likely a sensor... sensors are on the passenger side... front attached to the front wish bone, rear attached to the lower tie bar...

Fitting a normal leveler won't work as the S3 is wired for a self leveling system

<tuffty/>

I know that they are self-levelling, and they do adjust accordingly. My headlights were adjusted when I got my MOT done. They point downwards, and can barely aluminate a number plate. I don’t have VAGCOM to adjust them, hence inquiring about this.

It would be far easier to find somebody with VCDS and far cheaper to buy it than to try and retrofit an adjuster that in all probability won't work anyway.

Did they just try to adjust them in situ using the allen adjusters without putting them in the adjustment position first? They point down as a fail safe I believe when the system detects something is wrong.

One of my lights used to point down after a few minutes driving, but that was a headlight motor fault. Otherwise, as tuffty has said, it will most likely be one of the levelling sensors.

Sometimes the plastic arms break, but it should be obvious if you look. Otherwise, they do fail electronically or the wiring can break/corrode.

I would be popping back to the MOT centre first and asking them to re-adjust. It could be they don't know what they're doing with them though...