faulty fuel pump symptoms

nazS3

Reaction score
Hi guys

my s3 amk 2001 has problem starting from cold currently, turns over fine just wont fire
i can hear the pump priming when ign is switched on

got it started for few mins then it cut off again, & wont restart

no fault codes at all, have fuel, have checked/replaced pump relay made no difference
so could it actually be the pump in tank, as car has done 129k now
thanks in advance

Does it do this on a full tank? this normally happens when the tank is half way or less full... pressure drop occurs and takes a turn or two to get it back up enough to fire..

Fuel pump can be tested with a fuel pressure gauge and a dyno... you can also log what fuelling is doing using VCDS to see if the pump is struggling under load/boost as the revs rise...

<tuffty/>

Does it do this on a full tank? this normally happens when the tank is half way or less full... pressure drop occurs and takes a turn or two to get it back up enough to fire..

Fuel pump can be tested with a fuel pressure gauge and a dyno... you can also log what fuelling is doing using VCDS to see if the pump is struggling under load/boost as the revs rise...

<tuffty/>

Ive got a feeling my fuel pump is running out of puff at high rpm, what blocks would need to be logged? thanks

to be honest, car has approx tenners worth of fuel in it from empty tank
& is parked on a slight incline driveway, car is currently off rd
so cant fill up

do you think low fuel is the cause, as i have no fault codes & can hear pump priming
could the cts also be a posssibilty ? even though normally if the cts is faulty i would def get a code
& only have problems starting from operating temp

<tuffty/>