va va voom

Status

dont get angry people, just a thought

So i have a Audi A.3 1.6

but always wanted a convertible

What do you think of, BMW Z3, Very cheap and the 2.8 is not bad

and insurance is cheaper for me than the A3 1.8T

Anyone driven one, or got any reviews, Thanks

Remember am Thinking not buying, so be nice [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] lol

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status

Re: dont get angry people, just a thought

Depends if you want to be called a hairdresser lol...
    Seriously, a Z3 is more bangs for 's over a 1.8T in my opinion, and open top motoring is pretty satisfying when the weather is nice, 2.8 model is a capable machine aswell, fear the running costs though! with heavy fuel consumption and expensive servicing, and if we are talking about the same money, it's gonner be an older car with higher mileage...
    The choice is yours [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

va va voom

Status

cheers jojo

Seriously, a Z3 is more bangs for 's over a 1.8T in my opinion

sorry dont get that, what do you mean ?

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

He is saying that he thinks that you would get more "car" for your money.

Perhaps a better drive and more fun?

I've never driven one, but you'll have to pay a bit for the "fun" by the sounds of things.

The cheaper 1.9 is a 9.2s 0-60 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

2.8 six pot is the only one to consider IMO.

2nd Gear

Status

I agree - I have heard the Z3 is pretty average and nothing special, and that you need one with a big engine to start getting any decent fun out of it.
    I think I'd prefer an MX-5 to a Z3. You get a glass rear window for starters.

1st Gear

Status

Just a thought for you rick,

What about an MR2 roadster?......now bear with me here guys. Their getting cheaper all the time (certainly about the 8k mark now)...and if you can put aside any girl/hairdresser concepts and actually drive one, in terms of smiles per they are well worth a look.

What's good about them? Really good steering feel (i know a few elise owners who put the roadster on a par with them)....really good progressive feeling brakes, they may not look big but the car is only 975kg anyway. Heated glass rear window etc.....zippy VVT engine. i know its only a 1.8 and ONLY 138bhp...but believe me it can give a fair few lardy arse cars a run for it. However if its top down outright grunt you want then obviously its not for you.

Just my 2p...(awaits being shot down in flames)

Grumpy Old Man

Status

There's a lot of choice out there in the two-seater convertible market, and I'm not sure the Z3 is the best around. It never really got great reviews in its time, and not just because of the styling, which is a matter of personal taste anyway.

IMHO, the Z3 is an example of a car that trades on the badge it carries. All it really has to offer is the straight-line speed of the 2.8, and there's more to life than performance. It's not a great handler, certainly not by BMW's own high standards. I also seem to recall it was assembled in the USA, and not in Germany. With all due respect to our cousins over the water, that will have a major effect on build quality and reliability.

If you want genuinely enjoyable, sporty, open-topped motoring, then the MR2 is a serious contender, and I have to say, so is the Mazda MX-5. They may not have huge engines & mega-horsepower, but they have the considerable merits of simplicity, low-weight, great balance, accessible running costs and bullet-proof reliability.

My advice is to do your research, and drive as many different convertibles before making your choice. If that turns out to be a Z3, then fair enough. At least it'll be an informed choice.

Warmonger

Status

my mates gorlfriend has one and i dont think it is that quick at all
    after driving it, there's a nice humm from the exhaust with the roof down but thats about it
    pick up when you plant your foot is terrible
    def think the MX-5 is much better to drive and to be honest you can now get elise for around 10k so bear that in mind

Post Whore

Status

Hey there is nothing wrong with BMW's.

Yes I have a 120d and it not a soft top, so excuse the "off-topic" details, but too many people slate BMW's. They are a fantastic car, and much quicker than the Audi's of their respective classes. The build quality is superior IMO. It's a shame that BMW have an association with that of owners being bad drivers.

I think people who have never driven a BMW and slate that there crap really have no clue. In the same breath a BMW is not for everyone but there certainly not crap, there just not the car for you if that is your opinion.

So going back to the topic - I say go for the Z3!

6th Gear

Status

s2000 not had a mention yet...

va va voom

Status

Thanks all for your replies.

mx-5 i hate that car

new mr2 is not bad, but the old one is so much better,

wouldnt mind a lotus but they want 3K for insurance

S2000 lovely car as my mate has one, but around 13K but would not get insured,

i do like the 2.8 Z3 but i do get alot of people coming up to me saying i have a lovely looking A3, i dont want people to think i have a hairdresses car, if you know what i mean

Will have to go bmw garage and see a Z3 and sit in one,

2nd Gear

Status

MGTF? I think they look better than all the other soft tops to be honest, but obviously wouldn't actually go as far as owning one!

va va voom

Status

ok new mr2 is not that bad

Just really confused

Still like the A3 1.8 T

What do you think of this one

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CAR...200531202202367

2nd Gear

Status

seems a bit.... expensive!
    Its got all the gubbins on it of course, and the dealer knows it I guess.

I'm sure you'll be able to live without the armrest and Bose (and leather, come to think of it)

Status

My wifes had an mx5 and now has a new mr2. If it's actually driving enjoyment your after forget about the z3 they are ok but a bit dull. If it's just to ponce around in with the top down then the z3 does a fine job.

The Mx5 is a very good car and pretty practical with a decent sized boot, entertaining handling etc. and cheapish running costs.

The mr2 Roadster is a brilliant car, fantastic brakes, decent performance and very good handling. I did a track day at goodwood satruday just gone in Claires Mr2 and it was brillant fun on the track and showed up a few far more expesnive cars.

Thread here if your interested: http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads...&page=0#329397

Running costs are quite lot on it and the insurance is reasonable as well. Servicing doesn't brake the bank either. Depending on your driving style it can eat through tyres but they don;t cost the earth to replace. In and around town Claire gets mid 30's out of it as well.

On the roadsters they revamped them in 2003 I think it was and put in a 6 spped box, 16" rims on the back (15"s on the front) and changed the suspension geometry to make them a bit more neutral handling. You can spot the later cars as the rear lights have 2 circle in the lenses each side. Have a look and you;ll spot what I mean.

J.

Post Whore

Status

Im sorry to be a prune, but the Audi 1.8T just dont cut it in todays new car breeds...

Status

But they are reasonabley priced and very tuneable!

Post Whore

Status

true - dont get me wrong I love the Audi A3 shape but it's all these new cars with far more superior performance with today's new technology.

6th Gear

Status

drove a 1.8 (1.9?) Z3 once and was very dissappointed as it was slower than my E-reg 318! plus it was very plain and basic inside.
    I agree with NSD, BMWs aren't that bad (Dont like newer ones much though) It's just that people of a certain mentality buy them and gives BMWs a bad name. . . .

Status

That would be the mentalilty of not wanting to advertise which direction you rplanning on going...

1st Gear

Status

if you do get a Z3 then the 2.8 is the only one to get but personally i do not like them, to me they seem very uncomfortable and boring. plus they have quite a few faults they get. however the 6 cylinder engine is very good.

S3 Drift King!

Status

Rick, I would just go out and test drive one mate, and see what you think. Owning an open top 2seater isnt always about speed, it's the 'feel good' factor when the weathers good and the roof is down! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    I've just sold my Golf Avantgarde Covertible with it's ancient 2.0 115BHP engine and sloppy handling, but I still loved that car for being a convertible that can carry 4 peeps in comfort, with the roof down. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    In fact, I nearly bought a Z3 before I went for the Golf, but I decided that 4 seat are better than 2 at the time. At the end of the day, I seriously doubt you would be disappointed with either an A3 1.8T or an Z3 2.8 outside your house, both great cars IMO, especially at your age(no offence intended)... Just make sure you go for a BLACK Z3 lol. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

va va voom

Status

i swear this is all stress,

Wish i had the money to buy my dream car

Yes a BMW M3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

but maybe in a few yrs lol

I do love BMWs, My dad has a 3 series, and i do like it, and he does indicate all the time

Post Whore

Status

Black black black....

1st Gear

Status

I haven't read this whole thread but had to say, if you want open top and it is in your budget, HONDA S2000, got to better than the Z3 - girls car - sorry girls not you of course only girls that wouldn't frequent a forum like this. MR2 is always an option if your budget is lower, in fact i could go on all day about drop tops that are better than the Z3

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I haven't read this whole thread but had to say, if you want open top and it is in your budget, HONDA S2000, got to better than the Z3 - girls car - sorry girls not you of course only girls that wouldn't frequent a forum like this. MR2 is always an option if your budget is lower, in fact i could go on all day about drop tops that are better than the Z3

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem that Rick has a budget, and S2000 is out of reach...

va va voom

Status

yup s2000 is a no no, cant afford it, and they wouldnt insure me on it, come on group 20 for a 21 year old, equals a no no

I am completly lost, had a look at a friends honda civic type r, thats not bad either

va va voom

Status

Look at this MR2, looks nice

http://www.autogazeta.com/c/1/b/to00mr24.jpg

2nd Gear

Status

Bugger-all storage space, even for a convertible, but I'd happily have one. Still think the MX-5 is the most accomplished all-round choice and a good example of what convertibles are meant to be.

1st Gear

Status

Indeed very limited storage space....this is the ONE thing that everyone continually slates the MR2 roadster for....less than an elise...and certainly less than a MX-5, MGTF etc. I lived with one for 18 months, and it is possible for 2 to go away for a weekend in one...even camping....but you really have to optimise space (eg remove the spare from the front well etc). Obviously you're not going to be able to move freezers around with it!...but get the right king of squishy bags and you'll be OK.

MX-5 is more than a good car...i've not owned one, but driven 2 or 3 over the years. However IMO, the MR2 roadster has it beat in terms of PURE driveability terms....you can drive a roadster with your fingertips, it absolutely dives in to apexs, it corners really flat...in fact given its lowly bhp, at least pre facelift examples can give you a real fright...oversteer is easily accessed particularly in the wet. Evo rated their fast fleet example last year as the best convertible sports car sub 20k...and personally i have to say their on the button with that statement.

As marriedblonde says further up they even make a good track car, toyota dealers are generally way easier to deal with than Audi (well who isn't)...servicing is cheap etc.

The only thing to get past is the girls car connotations.....but in 18 months of driving a roadster i felt i learnt so much about both how to drive better, how to respect the capabilities of a car (theres plenty of MR2 owners who've ended up in ditches by the way because its chassis CAN bite you)....but also in 20k miles almost EVERY proper blast you learnt something new about the car...in fact you never truly master it which i think says something about the depth of the roadsters capabilities.

Just a few more words for you all.

PS - I think they're best in grey or black!

5th Gear

Status

Just on the point on the MX5 that someone suggested - I think they are planning to release a new one at some point in the near future so that might affect the prices of 2nd hand cars.

Just an idea - but you might be able to get the older model for a bit less direct from a dealer as they'll be trying to get rid of their old stock before the new ones arrive.

Depends on your budget of course
    IMO - i'd have the 1.8t because its a bit more practical bu it'll all depend on what you need the car to do.

good luck

va va voom

Status

lol,

Was talking to my dad, and he said i mite as well get a diesel, because he hates the Z3 and said two seater wont be practical, until i move out lol

So next week gona be having test drives, in the 1.8T and the 1.9 tdi (110)

See which one i like, but i am going to test drive a mr2 as well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

now as am i fussy git

i want the A3 in grey, like the one i have at the mo, and they are hard to find

S3 Drift King!

Status

You know daddy knows best lol. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif[/img]