Monster MotorsportBadger5
    Down under

Status

Loss of all electrics

This is very strange but I always had the odd dip in idle but yesterday I was sitting at a set of lights and it was like someone had pulled the power on the car completely. I shat myself and then restarted and it was fine? It done it twice again on the way home. Before any genius copies and pastes the standard reply, I scanned for codes and it showed nothing (wouldn't expect it to really). I had a poke around the bay and didn't spot anything obvious. I checked the big 3 fuses on top of the battery and re-seated them.

Any ideas? This bloody car...
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    ermm... how do you mean? all dash lights etc gone?

Power to the in car electrics comes from the fuse box on top of the battery... I'd check that in the first instance..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Down under

Status
    It's started loosing all electrics momentarily at idle. Dash lights, stereo etc. Sometimes it comes back to life after ms (and the stero just pops through the speakers) but yesterday it was cutting out completely.

I checked and re-seated those fuses last night but I don't think it's a fuse as surely it'll be permanently dead then?
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

4th Gear

Status
    Earth connections?

Have you checked the connections on the fusible links which are next to the three green 30A fuses on top of the battery?

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    It's started loosing all electrics momentarily at idle. Dash lights, stereo etc. Sometimes it comes back to life after ms (and the stero just pops through the speakers) but yesterday it was cutting out completely.

I checked and re-seated those fuses last night but I don't think it's a fuse as surely it'll be permanently dead then?
    I doubt its a fuse but that fuse box is known for its dodgy connections... the fans fuse being the classic but have recently seen on Bill's Arosa TDi the fans not working due to an issue internal to the fuse box... its plausible then that your fuse box is a little iffy but they were around 50 quid to buy last time I looked so fairly expensive if its not that...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Down under

Status
    50 quid is alright, I'll give it a look tomorrow then. It seems like a loose connection of some sorts as it comes back to life as easily as a it cut out...