Loss of all electrics

Sam_

Down under
Reaction score
This is very strange but I always had the odd dip in idle but yesterday I was sitting at a set of lights and it was like someone had pulled the power on the car completely. I shat myself and then restarted and it was fine? It done it twice again on the way home. Before any genius copies and pastes the standard reply, I scanned for codes and it showed nothing (wouldn't expect it to really). I had a poke around the bay and didn't spot anything obvious. I checked the big 3 fuses on top of the battery and re-seated them.

Any ideas? This ****** car... :(

ermm... how do you mean? all dash lights etc gone?

Power to the in car electrics comes from the fuse box on top of the battery... I'd check that in the first instance..

<tuffty/>

It's started loosing all electrics momentarily at idle. Dash lights, stereo etc. Sometimes it comes back to life after ms (and the stero just pops through the speakers) but yesterday it was cutting out completely.

I checked and re-seated those fuses last night but I don't think it's a fuse as surely it'll be permanently dead then?

Earth connections?

Have you checked the connections on the fusible links which are next to the three green 30A fuses on top of the battery?

Liam

It's started loosing all electrics momentarily at idle. Dash lights, stereo etc. Sometimes it comes back to life after ms (and the stero just pops through the speakers) but yesterday it was cutting out completely.

I checked and re-seated those fuses last night but I don't think it's a fuse as surely it'll be permanently dead then?

I doubt its a fuse but that fuse box is known for its dodgy connections... the fans fuse being the classic but have recently seen on Bill's Arosa TDi the fans not working due to an issue internal to the fuse box... its plausible then that your fuse box is a little iffy but they were around 50 quid to buy last time I looked so fairly expensive if its not that...

<tuffty/>

50 quid is alright, I'll give it a look tomorrow then. It seems like a loose connection of some sorts as it comes back to life as easily as a it cut out...