Engine mount, engine position question

firestorm

Reaction score
Morning All,
got a question about the resting position of the engine on my 8L S3.

I won't bore you guys with the whole story, but to summarise, I had a great time removing the oe DP and fitting a new one. It involved loosening subframes, taking off the prop, dogbone and lots of persuasion with my legs, pushing the engine back and forth to get enough clearance for the new DP and to get the prop back on. All this work seems to have moved the normal position of the engine with respect to the engine mounts. I couldn't get the dogbone back on, as the engine position was way out. Jez kindly explained to me he had the same issue and helped me get the dogbone back on by loosening the engine mounts and then shifting the engine with the jack to get it into position.

Now the dogbone is on, I've taken 40mm off the exhaust and I looked at the engine mounts and noticed it hasn't gone back to it's original position. I've loosened the bolts off and rocked the engine backwards and forwards, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Is it ok to tighten everything up and re-assemble the car or is there something else that needs to be done to centre the engine, so that its not offset ?

The photos tell the story.

Thanks

Attachments

• P1460748-001.jpg
    P1460748-001.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 140
  • P1460747-001.JPG
    P1460747-001.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 125
That is not right mate... the engine will juts hang centred normally... something isn't in right IMO... try jacking the box up a bit more as its close to the subframe at that end...

<tuffty/>

Hi bud
if you do what we did with jack, (Loosen engine mounts) you will be able to move the engine to the position you want it to be.
jez

Is the exhaust still connected? wasn't sure for what you posted... leave the end of the DP disconnected until the engine is in and aligned... that way there is nothing that could be pushing it out for any reason.... then once the engine is in the right position see what needs to be done to get the exhaust fitting right...

<tuffty/>

Update
The DP isn't connected to anything.

I started the car without the exhaust connected, sounded like a tank!

Moved it 5m and hey presto - engine is in a reasonable position.
Strange.

I've tightened the engine mounts up now and about to connect the rest of the exhaust together. Now the exhaust dno't overlap, as a matter of fact there is about 20mm gap between the cat and rear pipe. I didn't have to trim it after all, I did take 40mm off, but the sleeve should take care of it.

Photos later - Time to crack on and get the show on the road.

TBH I would be asking why rather than put it down as 'strange'... consider stuff that is (or should be) connected to the gearbox/engine that you have undo or moved... prob shaft for example is normally undone and moved out the way to make it easier to fit a DP...

If you have undone anything just go over in your mind to convince yourself you have tightened everything back up...

Chances are the act ov moving the car turned the driveshafts etc that would have acted as a form of lever to help get the engine/box back where it was... but I would still be making sure you had done everything back up in case you missed something... easily done...

<tuffty/>