Pikey AGU head re-build question....

slowcoach3

Reaction score
Hi all, I just purchased an AGU head for the princely sum of 25 notes, it came without cam shaft etc so is relatively bare. Its got the original valves in it which I intend to keep but does have a leaky stem seal on one cylinder that shouldn't be too much of an issue though. Sat in my shed I have a pretty much unused (4k) refurbed head which is smallport, my question is is there anything I can't swap between the heads to get one complete largeport?
Want to get it built up ASAP ready for more toys to fit in one hit but would like to maintain a sensible budget for this project!

Use whatever valves/spring combos looks the best (lowest mileage), same with followers... don't mix and match if you don't have too..

Strip valves etc out, clean head, get valve guides check (most likely need exhaust ones replaced), lap valves in, new stem seals, reassemble...

Done..

If being use on a VVT enabled engine then reuse your tensioner, cams etc... use new tensioner gasket and half moon seal... use new cam cover gasket set...

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty, I'm going to try and use all the AGU valves as it should make lapping easier if those parts are the originals from that head, hopefully anyway lol
Do you need a special tool to remove the stem seals and this will sound REALLY pikey but TPS just quoted 90 sheets for stem seals, has anyone used aftermarket ones? I'm on an APY so luckily no vvt to worry about just a good opportunity to fit a blanking plate to delete the sai...:thumbsup:

theres a head kit available from ECP, carparts4less, and pagparts even, that comes with stem seals amongst everything else for a head swap for a very good price

Cheers for that! I'll definately be getting that head set, tps wanted silly money for all of that. I'm starting to think I may have bitten off more than I can chew changing the stem seals though, swapping everything else seems relatively common sense but they look like a right ******

Stripping 20v heads isn't the most fun in the world... but worth doing tbh..

<tuffty/>

Thanks Andrew, in an ideal world I'd send the head off to you to make it all shiny and ported and done correctly :eyebrows: however that defeats the object of my self inflicted mission :crying: so back to school me thinks for this one

if your going to do 2 already one more won't hurt.... good luck with yours, i'm going tool shopping :)

not got round to it yet myself, too busy doing a head gasket change on my supposed daily lol

Russ what hasnt been said but defo needs saying, make sure you crank back the tappets in a vice, if you dont you run the risk of valves kissing pistons, that is defo a nightmare job, ive got a BAM in bits at work and had to do this yesterday, not fun

Cheers Phil, if i'm totally honest i think i'm gonna get stocksie to do the stem seals, its not laziness i just want it done right and i also have somebody else to blame lol

Good plan, adz will love you for giving him that job lol, i took Lee down to see my A3 today, started it up and let it warm up, then gave it a little rev (nothing over 2500) and he wet himself, he said it sounded like an animal, i had to take the keys cos he wanted to drive it lol, think he was gutted that he owns a 2.2 astra coupe lmao

i've been telling lee for years now he needs a turbo'd audi in his life now he may listen, big brothers always know best!