MK20 ABS Controller - Soft Coding

Y

Yohan87

I know it is possible to code the MK60 controllers differently in order to disable things like ESP, ABS, EDL, and so on.

The standard soft code for the MK20 ABS controller on my Bora 4motion (2000), is 00214. Does anybody know what other codes, if any, it will accept to disable ESP?

Reason being, I have a quick steering rack and enthusiastic driving triggers the ESP because the quicker rack confuses the ESP system. I can get around this by pressing the ESP button but it's a pain having to do it every time.

Blimey that's a bit technical for 9.32am! Can we have an easier question please.....

i would say that if the ESP can be switched off via a button on the dash it can be permanently switched off

Blimey that's a bit technical for 9.32am! Can we have an easier question please.....

i would say that if the ESP can be switched off via a button on the dash it can be permanently switched off

Just because it's Friday doesn't mean the questions get easier. None of this "which dump valve will make my car sound like a skyline" nonsense here :laugh:

My thoughts also, here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

IMG_20121025_181631.jpg

Cheers dude but unfortunately that's for the MK60 controller, mines a 20.

If I took that number from mine I'd end up with a -ve number which ain't within the allowed range.

edit

Just saw this post.

"For mkiv R32 owners - I sucessfully recoded the ABS controller (Teves Mk20) in my TT 225 quattro with the following codes:

16398 - No ESP, EDL seemed to still be active

00014 - No ESP and no EDL

Both keep ABS and EBD active, and I get no CEL, no ABS errors or DTCs, no beeping from the dash."

I read that above thread ages ago when I was investigating playing around with the ESP. According to info I read, even if you turn off ESP via the button there is still some degree of control that still operates. I've got a track day next Saturday so maybe this is something I could finally get to experiment with.

Yeah it isn't 100% off when you press the button, just de-sensitised. But that's enough to stop it throwing its toys out the pram when I'm honing it round a bend :D

Will you be testing the settings this weekend? Be good to see what you think.

I'll give it a bash.

It's snowing like **** at the moment though and the roads are totally covered which isn't ideal for testing :w00t:

It's the 16398 code I'm interested in.

Reactions: Westy
I'll give it a bash.

It's snowing like **** at the moment though and the roads are totally covered which isn't ideal for testing :w00t:

It's the 16398 code I'm interested in.

Ive used this code in mine but with 2 added to it so 16400 as that code is for the tt and the s3 you add 2 to everything.

It switched the esp off for me. afaik i have mk20 controller. when code is put in and you press the esp button nothing happens it will just light up as you press and go out when you release as if there is nothing there.

What was your original code?

Mine is a Bora 4motion so may be different, I'm not sure.

Ive used this code in mine but with 2 added to it so 16400 as that code is for the tt and the s3 you add 2 to everything.

It switched the esp off for me. afaik i have mk20 controller. when code is put in and you press the esp button nothing happens it will just light up as you press and go out when you release as if there is nothing there.

Brilliant. So no need to hit the ESP button as soon as you get in the car? Did you notice much of a difference in how the car now behaves? Better or worse?

original code is 18448

so no no esp code for me is 18448 - 2048 = 16400

I know the tt quattro code is 18446, which is what the guy it the other thread did it on.

original code is 18448

so no no esp code for me is 18448 - 2048 = 16400

I know the tt quattro code is 18446, which is what the guy it the other thread did it on.

I see.

Not sure why mine is so low at 00214. Hopefully putting 16398 will do the trick. I believe it tells you straight away whether or not it's accepted by the controller or not.

Brilliant. So no need to hit the ESP button as soon as you get in the car? Did you notice much of a difference in how the car now behaves? Better or worse?

the car just acts the same as if you have turned the esp off with the button.

I see.

Not sure why mine is so low at 00214. Hopefully putting 16398 will do the trick. I believe it tells you straight away whether or not it's accepted by the controller or not.

yea it does tell you right away if it will accept it.

you will know when you have the right code because if you exit the controller and try and press the esp button all that will happen is when your finger is on it the esp light, will light up but go out then you take your finger off.

the car just acts the same as if you have turned the esp off with the button.

yea it does tell you right away if it will accept it.

you will know when you have the right code because if you exit the controller and try and press the esp button all that will happen is when your finger is on it the esp light, will light up but go out then you take your finger off.

Have you tried disabling any of the other features?

Have you tried disabling any of the other features?

I did try switching the EDL off but didn't notice anything.

the ABS and EBD i not sure if you can switch off or not. i havent found what coding to subtract for them.

You chaps might find the big post about halfway down the page interesting.

Six - Redux...[pic] - uk-mkivs

That member has experimented with it a lot and says the car feels totally raw with everything disabled.

From what he is same all you want to do is disable the esp and leave the edl and ebd on, so you would only want to subtract 2048 from your original code.

as i said before i didnt notice anything when i switched the edl off but then you might not notice anything with the haldex.

I would prefer it if you could program the switch to work the other way round but dont think you can.

From what he is same all you want to do is disable the esp and leave the edl and ebd on, so you would only want to subtract 2048 from your original code.

as i said before i didnt notice anything when i switched the edl off but then you might not notice anything with the haldex.

I would prefer it if you could program the switch to work the other way round but dont think you can.

Aye but my original code is 00214 so I can't subtract any number bigger than 214 from it, hence why I have to try that 16398 one.

I believe there is a wiring mode you can do where you put something like a small capacitor inline with the switch so that when the car is turned on the ESP function starts in disabled mode. I.e. like pressing the button but without pressing the button.

I imagine this would leave the ESP light on your dash though.

Shall experiment tomorrow and see what numbers it accepts. The worst that can happen is that I have to put my original code back in.

edit*

Hold on a minute.

Is it the soft coding I'm editing or the workshop code?

Thanks.

I'm currently searching for MK20 soft codes but they seem few and far between!

Didn't get a chance to try this today, hopefully tomorrow (which I guess is today).

I'll try the mk60 code (pretty sure that's what I have) today, as I also have changed the steering rack and get the esp having a spaz fit when I go round roundabouts etc if I forget to turn the tcs off.

Followed the guide from the above link and took 2048 away from my number (which incidently was 23446) and it worked. I now have no esp, and when I push the button it flashes on the clocks for as long as I hold the button, as soon as I let go it goes off.

Followed the guide from the above link and took 2048 away from my number (which incidently was 23446) and it worked. I now have no esp, and when I push the button it flashes on the clocks for as long as I hold the button, as soon as I let go it goes off.

So a success then? No more pressin the ESP button needed.

So a success then? No more pressin the ESP button needed.

Appears to be. Since I had the quick rack fitted, I couldn't drive around a roundabout or apply too much lock without the TCS light flashing. I didn't get any issues on the drive back, so I'm guessing it works.

hmm will switch mine off this way, then the OH will never know i can drive like a loon without the esp stopping me lol

Back to the drawing board :(

Just tried code 16398 but it doesn't seem to get accepted.

I selected block 3 - ABS, logged in using 40168, clicked coding, and replaced 00214 with 16398. After clicking "Do-It!" I get no messages, but if I click the coding button again the soft code remains at 00214.

I want to keep ABS/ASR/EDL/EDS (maybe the same as EDL?), I just want to remove ESP.

Anybody any further ideas or codes?

I think we need to find out what your code should be and then work back from there.

As 00214 doesn't seem right as its too low to start with.

When you try and change the code does a text box come up with different coding for different things and this would tell you what to recode to for the standard code.

Last edited:
Nope, I tried that theory as well. Typed one number to see if it would auto suggest anything but it didn't.

Googling suggests 00214 is a standard code for the MK20 controller but as you say it is very low.

found this on ross tech VW Sharan (7M) Brake Electronics (MK20) - Ross-Tech Wiki

• ABS & ABS/EDS (< MY 2000)
    • 12812 = Standard
  • ABS (MY 2001 >)
    • 12502 = Standard
  • ABS/EDS/ASR/ESP (MY 2001 >)
    • 18952 = Front-Wheel-Drive (FWD)
    • 18443 = All-Wheel-Drive (AWD)

Might be worth a try and code to 18443, as my s3 is 18448 and the tt is 18446, so the original code might be near to that. and then take 2048 from the code that it will accept.

Or these as they all have to aue engine code for a bora v6 4 mo.

13504 ABS/EDS (MKB: AEH/AKL/APF/AGN/AGU/AQA/ARZ/APK/AQY/AGZ/AQP/ATN/AUS/AUE)
13404 ABS/EDS/ASR (1J0907379 R/J/AF -MKB:AGN/AGU/AQA/ARZ/AQP/AGR/ALH/AHF/ASV/AJM/ARL/AUE/AUY)
18945 ABS/EDS/ASR/ESP (1C0907379 - MKB: AGU/AQA/ARZ/AQP/AGP/AQM/AGR/ALH/AHF/ASV/AJM/ARL/AUE/ATD/AUY)

Last edited:
Thanks mate.

I'll give them a shot tomorrow lunch time and see what it accepts. If it accepts one, I'll drive the car for 24hrs first to make sure there are no adverse affects and that it holds the code.

All going well, I'll subtract 2048 (the ESP) bit from it and see if it takes that again.

I'll report back soon :)

yea hopefully, its a shame there are not anymore v6 4mo scans online, to take codes from, as all i seem to find is your ones.

Hi

Don't want to tell anyone to suck eggs.

The soft codings integer numbers you're playing with are actually interpreted as a binary bitmask in the controller. That means when the number is converted to binary, each column/bit is interpreted as a different feature/function to switch on/off.

From the codes that have been posted ...

13 504 = 0b011010011000000 BORA 4M ABS/EDS
13 404 = 0b011010001011100 BORA 4M ABS/EDS/ASR
18 945 = 0b100101000000001 BORA 4M ABS/EDS/ASR/ESP
18 443 = 0b100100000001011 SHARAN 7M AWD
18 952 = 0b100101000001000 SHARAN 7M FWD
18 448 = 0b100100000010000 S3
18 446 = 0b100100000001110 TT

Just be a bit careful plugging in 'random' numbers without knowing exactly what you're telling the controller. Notice that the S3 & TT and Sharan AWD - although all using Haldex (assumption) - there are quite a few differences.

HTH

Liam

Thanks Liam.

So it looks like I should try either: -

13 404 = 0b011010001011100 BORA 4M ABS/EDS/ASR
18 945 = 0b100101000000001 BORA 4M ABS/EDS/ASR/ESP - 2048 = 16897
18 433 - 2048 = 16385

Looks that way. Also if you enter the wrong value, and it accepts it the car will just bleep at you.

Thanks.

From yesterdays test it appeared that if I entered an invalid value then nothing would happen and it just held on to the original 00214 code.

I assume whatever happens I can just code it back to 00214?

Yea you can always enter 00214 back in.

If I enter the TT code in mine all that happens the esp light and abs light stay on and the car bleeps at me.