Bike Racks

MikeA3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

My other half has had the bizarre idea of going away in a few weeks time and wants to take our bikes with us (and I thought women just packed hairdryers and lots of clothes!!!)

So I just wondered if anyone knows of a decent bike rack to fit a 52 plate A3.

(Ideally it would take 3 bikes)

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

I've got & successfully used a Saris Bones rack on my A3. It will take 3 bikes but is happier with 2. With 2 bikes it's completely stable at motorway speeds.

It does cover the number plate & lights which I believe is technically illegal but I've never been stopped.

Thanks for the advice Timbo, i've had a quick look and they seem to be a lot better quality than the ones you get from halfords.

Heh heh, I bought it from Halfords actually! I know what you mean though.

It is very good and fits on lots of different cars. I would say if you get one don't let the bottom feet rest on the bumper, rest them flat against the bootlid - if they rest on the bumper they force it to bend which makes the paint craze at the corners... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also cover the car's paintwork where the feet/straps go with duct tape if you don't want them to scratch the paint (goes without saying really).

Thanks for the tip mate, would have been annoying if it had damaged the paintwork.

I had a look on the halfords website, there still £70 though which is quite a bit for something i'm not planning to use a lot.

Might give ebay a go and see if I get lucky

Try any rack from Rhode Gear as well - www.rhodegear.com

Your local Evans bike shop (assume you know of these in London?) can get the racks.

Personally I don't trust bikes on the outside, and whenever I take the bike(s) out in the car, I put down the back seats, remove the wheels and sit one each side - keeps the bikes secure and you know you can still go at high speed without fear of losing the bikes!