manifold blowing

skinz

Reaction score
hi peeps I've just sold my a4 an got myself a seat Leon 1.8t which has got a blow somewhere around the manifold, I have posted on a seat forum but had no help, when I had my a4 u was all very helpful, so thought I would see if u could help me out with this, I know the Leon is set up the same as the a3, well I've had a look in the engine bay an got no hope of seeing the manifold so took it down to my m8s garage an had it up on the ramps and used a hose pipe to listen for the leak, we could sort of hear the blow but couldn't pin point where it was coming from, I'm at a bit of a lose at what 2 do now an how to tackle this

Most likely the turbo/manifold gasket... fairly common and relatively easy (and cheap) to change... use an OE gasket though..

<tuffty/>

thanks for the reply I hope it is the gasket, how easy is it to change, it looked a bit cramped in there

Undo the three bolts that secure the turbo to the manifold, push the turbo down gently to remove the gasket (after removing the bolts.. the one nearest the head won't come out easily but should lift enough to get stuff out the way)... fitting is the reverse...

I would expect you to find one or more of the bolts to be loose anyway... this is typically the cause of the blow which leads to the gasket to fail...

You may find tightening the bolts actually fixes the issue... just depends if you caught in time and the gasket has survived

<tuffty/>

I've had a look and all 3 bolts a tight, the bolt closes to the head I can't undo cause the the heat shield is in the way, I can get to 1 of the bolts to the heat shield but the other 1 I can't undo cause there's a big pipe in the way stopping me getting the bolt all the way out, if I do change the gasket and it don't sort it then it's got to be the manifold, could I change the manifold on my drive or is it to hard to do, the a4 was so much easier to work on

K03 manifolds are easy... I can normally tkae one off in less than an hour... yeah, the bolt nearest the head is a ******... normally use a spanner for that one as getting a socket on it is next to impossible...

12mm socket to undo the manifold nuts... there are thick washers too so make sure you don't loose those... the nuts by the turbo are a little trickier but once the turbo is loose then it will drop down enough to get a socket past... 3/8's kit is suitable here

<tuffty/>

Put your socket on the bolt nearest the head the best you can, then bend it towards you, it makes a nice curve in the heat shield just where you want it... then use your socket at will...:thumbsup: