EM TuningSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

manifold blowing

hi peeps I've just sold my a4 an got myself a seat Leon 1.8t which has got a blow somewhere around the manifold, I have posted on a seat forum but had no help, when I had my a4 u was all very helpful, so thought I would see if u could help me out with this, I know the Leon is set up the same as the a3, well I've had a look in the engine bay an got no hope of seeing the manifold so took it down to my m8s garage an had it up on the ramps and used a hose pipe to listen for the leak, we could sort of hear the blow but couldn't pin point where it was coming from, I'm at a bit of a lose at what 2 do now an how to tackle this

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    its not uncommon for the mani to turbo gasket to fail... i would give that my attention first..

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Most likely the turbo/manifold gasket... fairly common and relatively easy (and cheap) to change... use an OE gasket though..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for the reply I hope it is the gasket, how easy is it to change, it looked a bit cramped in there

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Undo the three bolts that secure the turbo to the manifold, push the turbo down gently to remove the gasket (after removing the bolts.. the one nearest the head won't come out easily but should lift enough to get stuff out the way)... fitting is the reverse...

I would expect you to find one or more of the bolts to be loose anyway... this is typically the cause of the blow which leads to the gasket to fail...

You may find tightening the bolts actually fixes the issue... just depends if you caught in time and the gasket has survived

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    I've had a look and all 3 bolts a tight, the bolt closes to the head I can't undo cause the the heat shield is in the way, I can get to 1 of the bolts to the heat shield but the other 1 I can't undo cause there's a big pipe in the way stopping me getting the bolt all the way out, if I do change the gasket and it don't sort it then it's got to be the manifold, could I change the manifold on my drive or is it to hard to do, the a4 was so much easier to work on

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    K03 manifolds are easy... I can normally tkae one off in less than an hour... yeah, the bolt nearest the head is a bugger... normally use a spanner for that one as getting a socket on it is next to impossible...

12mm socket to undo the manifold nuts... there are thick washers too so make sure you don't loose those... the nuts by the turbo are a little trickier but once the turbo is loose then it will drop down enough to get a socket past... 3/8's kit is suitable here

<tuffty/>

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Put your socket on the bolt nearest the head the best you can, then bend it towards you, it makes a nice curve in the heat shield just where you want it... then use your socket at will...