Lifetime of Suspension Springs?

MarkyB

Reaction score
Just had my front passenger-side suspension spring go - 1 coil has sheared off and the rest of it is wrapped around the post/rests /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Luckily I was doing nothing more hairy than dawdle through city traffic to get to the petrol station when it whent BOING! as I exited a round-about (doing 20mph!) and not doing 70mph on a wet rush-hour motorway.

Anyhoo, I'm rather a bit dissapointed that the spring has failed after a mere 23K / 4 years of moderate(!) driving; it's a "weekend" car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've owned my beloved S3 since new and have lavished more care and attention on it that is judged to be healthy by my friends and family, so it's hardly a case of it being the result of abuse and/or neglect.

Any suggestions on where I can get it replaced cheaply & professionaly in the Bristol/Bath area, and whether it's worth writing a letter to Audi UK to complain?

Cheers,

Mark.

MarkyB - my guy is pretty reasonable on repairs for my S3 - If you want his details PM me - he's based in Keynsham

Cheers. PM on it's way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mark.

Definate complaint material. That's a fault in my opinion. They should last way longer than that.

My s3 has done 80k and never had springs replaced to my knowledge.

Kev.

I had a rear one snap at some point last year, didn't notice it until it failed it's MOT because of it. My car had done around 54000 miles at the time. I used it as an excuse to get Eibach replacements /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yup, given that I'll probably have to get the tracking re-aligned I can see me opting for a set of Eibachs rather than risk Audi - who will still be getting a stroppy letter!

Mark.

My front passenger spring went on my old S3 last X Mas, same thing the top of the coil snapped off on a roundabout and that car had done 33,000 at the time, was replaced under warranty, but I would go to Audi UK as my service centre said it must be a faulty part batch for it to break , it is a facelift 2001 Y if this helps?

Yup, mine is also a 2001 "Y" Facelift model and it is the top part of the spring that has broken off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This is begining to sound like there was a faulty batch of springs. Any other 2001 S3 owners had their springs go?

BTW, can anyone recomend a garage in the Bath/Bristol area that can fit a set of Eibach Springs and can do Four Wheel Laser Tracking Alignment on an S3? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark.

if your just changing the springs then do you really need the laser alignment ???? ive never done this on previous cars and had no problems

[ QUOTE ]
if your just changing the springs then do you really need the laser alignment ???? ive never done this on previous cars and had no problems

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you at least need the tracking done up front if you are lowering the car, or you'll wear the tyres out in no time! In the case for the S3, the camber is adjustable up front as standard, so a 4 wheel allignment is recommended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My rear right spring went at around 70.000km. (MY 2000)
The lowest coil snapped off so the rideheight was almost unchanged, but the loose coil made some knocking noise when cornering hard.
Seems the S3 springs are not the best quality...