AH FabricationsBadger5
    Neutral

Status

S3 Fuel Pump, can it be replaced on it own???

hi guys, im looking at changing the fuel pump on my 2001 amk s3 and was wondering if the fuel pump can be removed from the fuel pump/sender unit and replaced on its own or if the whole unit has to be replaced.

i have had a search around but cant find a definative answer.

many thanks
    56 plate 8P S3, Phantom Black, RNSE, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Adaptive Bi Xenon Headlights, Interior Light Pack, FBMFSW, Center Arm Rest,

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    You can change the pump on its own, but dont know if you can buy them like that, i would guess not...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    If you can buy one on its own then maybe but I doubt it will save you much money (guessing this is the reason for asking)...

From personal experience and experiences expressed by others that have changed pumps then personally I would accept the inevitable and buy a genuine one... Westy found his 'aftermarket replacement' was next to useless so ended up buying an OEM one...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status

S3 Fuel Pump, can it be replaced on it own???

Quote Originally Posted by ;1705351
    If you can buy one on its own then maybe but I doubt it will save you much money (guessing this is the reason for asking)...

From personal experience and experiences expressed by others that have changed pumps then personally I would accept the inevitable and buy a genuine one... Westy found his 'aftermarket replacement' was next to useless so ended up buying an OEM one...

<tuffty/>
    No mate that was the issue with the heater matrix. Someone else had the fuel pump issue

I've learnt my lesson now and only get genuine kit but I do get healthy discounts.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

IGI
    Neutral

Status
    Yes you can just replace the pump part of the unit ... i did... was easy to do when youve got the whole unit out. I got the pump part from Dingbro my parts supplier was way cheaper than Audi/TPS aint genuine part tho...however the old genuine part looked absolutely identical to the new one even in the small details like they ve come from the same suppling factory cant remember the brand but have the invoice somewhere

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Linky: Suspected Fuel pump/relay issues.

My advice would be to buy an OE item from a dealer/TPS, if you have to buy from somewhere else then make sure you get the whole harness/carrier as it's loads easier to change the whole unit.
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not worried how complicated it is to replace the pump on its own as I'm a mechanic so that's not an issue. I was hoping the pump on its own was available and cheaper!!
    56 plate 8P S3, Phantom Black, RNSE, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Adaptive Bi Xenon Headlights, Interior Light Pack, FBMFSW, Center Arm Rest,

TFSI Hybrid

Status

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jk_s3 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not worried how complicated it is to replace the pump on its own as I'm a mechanic so that's not an issue. I was hoping the pump on its own was available and cheaper!!
    VDO pump.. so if the other guy can post the part number that would be helpful for all.
    I bought and fitted a pump only to an ibiza last week... fuel pump listed separately for an LCR... £60 approx From Euro's
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

IGI
    Neutral

Status
    Right i had a rake through my paperwork this is all i can tell you .... Fuel Pump part number XFP4041 and it cost me £176.31 + vat @trade pretty sure TPS wanted £230 ish + vat for the same part, i wouldnt guess at what the whole unit cost was
    I remember the pump came allready in a white plastic unit not bare as the pic above theres a connecting pipe for the other half of tank too
    The sender unit screws to the fuel pump unit, swap wires over and swap plastic pipes over for feed and return....be careful when swapping the plastic pipes over they are brick hard, i softened them with a gentle heat.... apart from that it didnt take long to do
    Hope this helps

IGI
    Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by [Dave B] View Post
    Linky: Suspected Fuel pump/relay issues.

My advice would be to buy an OE item from a dealer/TPS, if you have to buy from somewhere else then make sure you get the whole harness/carrier as it's loads easier to change the whole unit.
    Goes to show i was paying attention just noticed the linky lol

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    S3 pumps are rated at 4bar IIRC... that listing says its a 3bar

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Does anyone no for certain what the standard pump pressure is? 3bar or 4bar? I've found the pump that badger5 mentioned on euro car parts website but it states its a 3 bar pump. Thanks.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    std S3 is 4bar....

<tuffty/>