Strange phenomenon - rapid increase in RPM

Scullies

Reaction score
I have started getting weird increases in rpm. It's usually in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Haven't tried 6th.
What happens is when I accelerate sometimes the rpm rises from 2500rpm to 4000rpm as usual then the rpm shoots up from 4000 to 5500 very quickly but the car doesn't accelerate as fast as the rpm does. If you know what I mean. :think:

Other times it runs through the full rpm range as it would normally do, all the way to 6500rpm

It almost feels like the clutch is slipping, could this be the case? If so wouldn't it happen on every pull?

Any ideas on what could be causing this to happen. Could I log anything in vcds to see what is happening, if its ecu related?

Would have thought it was clutch related if the revs are going up a lot quicker than the speedo?

Would have thought it was clutch related if the revs are going up a lot quicker than the speedo?

Mechanically ,that's what my little brain is telling me. I can't see how the crankshaft can turn faster and not drive the gearbox faster.

Unless.............my car has massive huge amount of torque and all the wheels are slipping :jester:

Definitely clutch. What happens if you accelerate hard from a standing start in the dry? I would expect the clutch to slip from what you're describing. I'm sure you can tell the difference between clutch slip and breaking traction.

Done a few launches and it pulls hard, cant really feel it slipping. The car accelerates according to the rpm.
I think it only happens at speeds over 100km/h, when the power kicks in.

Just in case anyone else hasn't mentioned it, it sounds like its the clutch.

FYI, its was the 3rd wheel nut on the rear left wheel that was loose !! :p

So how long you think I have until the clutch gives up? No more launches, I have ordered a 6 paddle clutch and it should be here around the 10th of November.

I hope the clutch lasts till then

Drive it carefully and I don't labor the engine and it should be fine. Accelerating in 5th from 30mph would be a no! Lol