Quick check before i fit my catch can...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Just a quick question... So... the pipe off the top hat/ one way valve off the rocker cover ( bottom pipe) into my catch can. block off the pipe on the tip where it went before and the pipe out of my catch can down under the car???

2001 AMK S3
if that makes a diffrence.

Thanks

on my amk i have done this:
Blocked up the pipe in the tip
removed the hockey puck valve completely
from the cam cover i have a t-peice that one pipe goes into the catch can, the other goes down to the suction jet pump thingy
then the other pipe coming from the catch can is down venting under the car

When venting to atmos with the catch can could i put a small filter on the end of some 19mm hose and then vent it out of the passenger wing where the old feed for the OEM airbox came in? as currently not venting to atmos but back into the TIP

on my amk i did:
Blocked up the pipe in the tip
removed the hockey puck valve
from the cam cover, fitted t-peice that one pipe goes into the catch can, the other goes down to the crankcase breather
then the breather pipe coming from the catch can is vented into the lower part on the airbox with its own little filter.

All the aboth but why vent where the engine is going to breath it back in, defeats the object of venting it to atmos, needs venting under the car, idealy at the back to stop oily smells eyc into the cabin.

All the aboth but why vent where the engine is going to breath it back in, defeats the object of venting it to atmos, needs venting under the car, idealy at the back to stop oily smells eyc into the cabin.

Good point will look at other venting location options.

Run it alog the passenger side brake line and exit near the rear wheel mate, that way you can cable tie the oil line upto the lines in situ :). Simples lol.

Just a quick question... So... the pipe off the top hat/ one way valve off the rocker cover ( bottom pipe) into my catch can. block off the pipe on the tip where it went before and the pipe out of my catch can down under the car???

2001 AMK S3
if that makes a diffrence.

Thanks

if you were venting to the TIP then you would install the PRV/HockeyPuckValve after the catch can to save it from getting clogged up with oil and if you are venting to atmosphere then why bother keeping the PRV because there is no vacuum to actuate the PRV diaphragm?

yeah it was, i was joking as your thread is a summary of the other mammoth thread

There was nothing wrong with thread you done Westy I used it and was fine, this job seems complicated at first, but when you understand it and get you head round it then its a pis* easy really. That's reminded me to check if there's any oil in it how often do you empty yours peeps

Westy,
Im not saying there is anything wrong,
But because it is now so big it worried me to speed read it and miss something,
I mentioned to many i would love a chance to see this mod in the flesh at ADI this year but... because ive only seen Tuffty once before and Bill ( B5) breafly at JBS some years ago i didnt know what to do... i hovered around cars i know much better than the owners but i didnt see anybody i knew,
This is the ONLY reason im trying to do a simple version as i cant make head nor tail of the simplified breather set up some of the more knolegable on here have done,

to be honest ive only got less than 2 foot of pipe coming from the catch can and venting to atmos, it goes halfway down the back of the gearbox and ive never smelt anything come into the cabin of my car, nor has it kicked out any oily deposits. Just thought id throw that one in there

Ditto. Simple job but reading guides confuses the sh1t out of me lol. Hence why Mr Westy is going to get roped into helping :p

Right, Ive just read Westys guide,
So if i sounded a little off.
In honesty a speed read and cut to the chase alot.
So... ive mounted my catch can a little diffrently to most.
Its on the side of the battery box, Hidden when the cover for the battery is in place,
As alot of my under the inlet pipe work is new i was planning to leave that alone for now ( after winter i may well remove it all)
So... my plan was to fit a pipe from the underside of the hockey puck and run that to the catch can and the outlet from the can to atmospher,
It seems alot of people have removed the hockey puck and the funny shaped hose that comes off the rocker cover ( which joins the rocker/lower breather together) repacing it with a simple T section?
Is the hockey Puck not needed?

You still need the hockey puck unless you vent to atmos and block up the tube on the TIP where the hockey puck connects

Ive made a blanking plug for the TIP,
I plan to run the outlet from the catch can out under the car

then yeah you can ditch the hockey puck

Paul ill be free saturday dinner all been well, yu want me to nip round and show you mine, althugh mines a apy the principal is the same all be it without the brake servo pipe i believe.

Karl are you running with or without a binnet rubber strip? If your not like me then it used to travel up into the cabin.

If im going to be at the mrs's then yes, Thats would no dout help,
But if im at my place or my unit... its a bit out of your way?
The hose i was givven buy the tuning/fabrication company that made my can is re enforced oil grade rubber thats over breading with black cloth,
If what ive worked out is right i might mock it up one dinner time this week using cheap air hose to gauge the lengths as the hose i mentioned needs to be cut with a slitting disc,

If you're venting to atmos then bin the puck.

Run a hose from the rocker cover into a T-piece, run hose from 1 side of the T-piece into the catch can inlet, run other side of T-piece into the oil filter housing. Then all you need to do is run hose from the catch can outlet to a suitable venting place like bottom of the engine bay.

It really is that simple. Once you have it done you'll never understand why it seemed so hard to understand :thumbsup:

Its the Brake servo pipe that bothered me, My car is a 2001 AMK
So im guessing like in the guide i would need to blank the second outlet on the one way valve?
Then once a pipe is fitted to the filter housing....ALL the rest of the maze under the inlet can go? ( blanking the spare outlet form the inlet manifold too )
Can i do it in two stages like i was going to and leave the oil filter housing part till later? Or is it pointless to do it half hearted?

Its the Brake servo pipe that bothered me, My car is a 2001 AMK
So im guessing like in the guide i would need to blank the second outlet on the one way valve?
Then once a pipe is fitted to the filter housing....ALL the rest of the maze under the inlet can go? ( blanking the spare outlet form the inlet manifold too )
Can i do it in two stages like i was going to and leave the oil filter housing part till later? Or is it pointless to do it half hearted?

Yeah it sounds like you've got your head round it already. I admit that it's definitely more confusing ripping the old stuff out before putting the new hose in.

I've heard people saying that you don't even need a 1 way valve but I've not tested it yet. The spare nipple under the inlet mani can just be blocked off. I found it easier to just do it all in 1 hit, just give yourself lots of time.

Karl are you running with or without a binnet rubber strip? If your not like me then it used to travel up into the cabin.

if you mean the rubber strip thats at the back of the bay holding the scuttle panel down then yeah thats still in place, i honestly havent had 1 wiff from it atall, you can smell it a bit when the engine is running with the bonnet open and you stick your head in there, but nothing in the cabin. It was just going to be temp untill i got some more pipe to run it under the car as stated but i dont see the need too

Yeah it sounds like you've got your head round it already. I admit that it's definitely more confusing ripping the old stuff out before putting the new hose in.

I've heard people saying that you don't even need a 1 way valve but I've not tested it yet. The spare nipple under the inlet mani can just be blocked off. I found it easier to just do it all in 1 hit, just give yourself lots of time.

This was the only confusing bit i found as i wasnt sure waht to do really and couldnt work out why i would need a one way boat valve thingy. My car is BAM`d so a little different to your AMK`s etc so all i did is ditch everything under the inlet mani and then reconnect the one pipe left over that runs up the left hand side of the engine bay to the inlet on the left side of the inlet mani and block of the other nipple in the middle underneath the inlet mani. Been like this for 2 weeks now and all works perfectly brakes an all so looks like i didnt need that extra 1 way valve. Which inturn makes the whole PCV delete thing v simple and no more difficult than the N249 bypass once you have found a suitable location for the Catch can and run the pipes etc

Stil cheers westy etc for the guide in the stickies as without that (and of course the MS paint piccy) i would of been proper confused.

Reactions: Westy
If you remove the strip mate i reckon itd stink more lol. Yeah if your at the mrs mate drop me a text if not then ill struggle.

If you remove the strip mate i reckon itd stink more lol. Yeah if your at the mrs mate drop me a text if not then ill struggle.

think i'll keep it there then lol, whats the benifits of removing the strip? just better cooling? it does get hot under there

defo worth amending that in the guide in the stickies as that was the only confusing bit.

This now means the MS paint drawing basically says it all lol

Reactions: Westy
Been busy for 2 mins and updated Westy`s classic paint piccys to show amendments to catchcan setup :)

So the classic vent to TIP version :
RiBQY.png

And the more current vent to Atmos version:
VogSe.png

:)

Ive fitted my Can and piped it up but at the moment i havent fitted the "vent to air " pipe as it currently just vents to air in the bay, I bought enough hose to go well under the car ...
How far have people gone under the car? behind subframe? right up to the rear of the car? or just somewhere under the car after the the passenger seat?
Or fit a small filter to the catch can?

Ive fitted my Can and piped it up but at the moment i havent fitted the "vent to air " pipe as it currently just vents to air in the bay, I bought enough hose to go well under the car ...
How far have people gone under the car? behind subframe? right up to the rear of the car? or just somewhere under the car after the the passenger seat?
Or fit a small filter to the catch can?

I tried the small filter first but it stunk. I've now gone a bit mad with the under car hose running right to the rear. A length of hose to the bottom of the bay should do the trick though.