Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Quick check before i fit my catch can...

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    ****, forgot i said id nip down saturday mate, sorry, where you at the mrs or the lock up? Ive run a length or tube with a small filter on all the way to the rear passnger wheel, no mess or smell and it all cable ties nicely under the chassis.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    i just read somewhere that since a member vented his catch tank to atmos the amount of oil in the tank has more than halved.
    surly the whole point in the pcv system is to draw (via vacuum) the nasty gasses and vapours out of the block.....so if you vent to atmos there cant be any vacuum? and therefore your not effectively drawing these vapours out?

oh and does anyone know, what size brake servo one way valve i need, inlet and outlet diameter?

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by richud View Post
    i just read somewhere that since a member vented his catch tank to atmos the amount of oil in the tank has more than halved.
    surly the whole point in the pcv system is to draw (via vacuum) the nasty gasses and vapours out of the block.....so if you vent to atmos there cant be any vacuum? and therefore your not effectively drawing these vapours out?

oh and does anyone know, what size brake servo one way valve i need, inlet and outlet diameter?
    The whole point of the catch can is to stop oily vapour going into the charge system and reducing performance by stopping it going into the engine. The catch can I have works a treat. The charge pipes on my car are clean as a whistle, not one trace of oil.

This is the 1 way valve I've used. Fuel Tank Non Return Valves For Boats HIGH QUALITY-12mm | eBay
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    I worried about the block becoming preasurised .
    But the block can breath as i can feel from putting my hand in the way of where the can vents now.
    So surely all is well?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

RIP S3dave

Status
    if its venting its breathing be it back into TIP or atmos
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

6th Gear

Status
    Bill,
    I just ment that due to the removal of the pipes allowing the crank case fumes/ vapours to be pulled under boost from the block into the intake pipe that it wouldnt breath as well.
    Im not sure if its all hype or the cold weather but the car is running spot on since the mod so deffo no problems to report,
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

RIP S3dave

Status
    under boost there is no vacuum being passed to PCV valve tho, as its function is to allow suk but not blow
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul View Post
    Im not sure if its all hype or the cold weather but the car is running spot on since the mod so deffo no problems to report,
    I noticed mine straight after the mod too. You've removed a load of hose that was potentially blocked and you've also simplified the route so you should feel the difference.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    The whole point of the catch can is to stop oily vapour going into the charge system and reducing performance by stopping it going into the engine. The catch can I have works a treat. The charge pipes on my car are clean as a whistle, not one trace of oil.

This is the 1 way valve I've used. Fuel Tank Non Return Valves For Boats HIGH QUALITY-12mm | eBay
    I thought we established that this valve was not actually necessary hence my updated paint piccy!
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Status
    Am gonna vent mine to atmos and have ordered a 19mm filter off ebay and am going to use the pipe i had left over and run it to the bottom of the engine bay or wherevever seems most suitable
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Reverse Gear

Status
    you replaced your brake servo hose thou didnt you? is the standard pipe 12mm ID too?

Status

Quick check before i fit my catch can...

Quote Originally Posted by richud View Post
    you replaced your brake servo hose thou didnt you? is the standard pipe 12mm ID too?
    I think the hose is actually 13mm but I couldn't find a 13mm 1 way valve. Anyway, as bob says its not needed.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Right sorted my catch can to vent to atmos now.

I had about 1.25m of 19mm hose left over after fitting the catch can the first time so i used that and bought this filter off ebay RAMAIR 19mm Breather filter Oil Crankcase Air 100% MADE IN THE UK By RAMAIR | eBay i then used a 19mm joiner to connect the 2 together.

So removed the hockey puck (well actually snapped it in 2 whilst trying) blocked up the hole in the tip using a bolt that was the right size. Put the new long bit of pipe on the outlet of the catchcan and then ran that down past the TIP to the uderside of the car just back from the engine bay and cable tied it to the pipes under the passenger side.

So far all seems as good idle well and so far no smells or anything.

Quick question : how often does the catch can normally need to be emptied? and what do you do with the gunk?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vrbob View Post
    Quick question : how often does the catch can normally need to be emptied? and what do you do with the gunk?
    I check mine once a month and normally have a small cup full. It's worse in the winter as condensation gets in with the cold weather and hot engine. I just lob the gunk in next doors hedge
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    mine doesnt collect alot either, but like westy says, lots of condensation.

Status
    I check mine once a month and normally have a small cup full. It's worse in the winter as condensation gets in with the cold weather and hot engine. I just lob the gunk in next doors hedge
    recycling at its best lol

Status
    Cheers for the reply guys i will keep my eye on it and empty out the gunk to throw into my neighbours bush ooer missus

5th Gear

Status

Quick check before i fit my catch can...

Got mine fitted yesterday.
    Dead easy job once you get started.
    I decided to mount mine onto the air filter heat shielding and vented to atmos through the hole in the front wing.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352311505.524712.jpg

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

6th Gear

Status
    Well the catch can has been on my car about 3 month now so i decided i should maybe check if it needed emptying .
    I removed the drain plug slowly with an small cup ready to catch the oily mess...
    not a drop . even the end of the drain plug is dry !
    The can is mounted to the battery box so i expected it to collect quite a bit as its so low...
    There is no oily mess where the cans outlet is. ( still havent pipped it to under the car)
    Wierd or good??
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Weird, thought you may get some water build up from condesastion at least, mines always got something in it, be it watery oil or a brown running mayo type substance.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

1st Gear

Status
    wheres the best place to get the hose from for this mod???
    BRING ON THE WET WEATHER ​QUATTRO FTW

6th Gear

Status
    I got it from the place that made me the can.
    its black over braded re enforced rubber / plastic,
    its prob ott but does the job
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12