Coil Spring - Please help identify?

vfr800

Reaction score
Hi

Just had an MOT, coil spring is snapped, just a little bit off the end but a fail nonetheless.

It has two coloured spots, can any one identify what colour the spots are meant to be?

There's a bonus gratitude point for the correct part number too.

BTW Car is MY02 S3 AMK.

Thanks, Liam

PS The only S3 spring with two dots of different colours is Violet and Pink. But the Quattro also has a Violet and Yellow - which makes me think I have the wrong spring(s)?

8116246999_796eb21efd_b.jpg

Last edited:
Time for some uprated lowering springs my friend. It''s only a matter of time for the rears to snap at the bottom....

Uprated perhaps. Lowered I'm not so bothered about, I like having clearance over speed bumps and don't really give a monkey how the wheels fill the arches :undwech:

Can you point me at some good quality springs which don't lower too much?

I was looking here but I don't really know what I'm looking for.
DPM - Audi S3 8L Lowering Springs

Ta, Liam

Uprated perhaps. Lowered I'm not so bothered about, I like having clearance over speed bumps and don't really give a monkey how the wheels fill the arches :undwech:

Can you point me at some good quality springs which don't lower too much?

I was looking here but I don't really know what I'm looking for.
DPM - Audi S3 8L Lowering Springs

Ta, Liam

I've previously run standard, Eibachs, H&Rs and currently running Apex springs on my current S3. You want comfort, then go for Eibachs, they are not much firmer than OEM, lowers the front by 5-10mm, the rears a bit more, say 15-20mm, no clearance issues going over speed bumps with these for me navigating the many speedbumps in Brum. H&R's are much firmer and lower the front end more, Apex sits in between the two, and offers the best value at just over 100 quid.

Help ....

I went to remove the driver side suspension strut to replace the spring and failed/gave up. I was only working on the driver side as I did the broken spring on the passenger side yesterday.

Do the ARB drop links need to be disconnected on both sides to allow the ARB to drop down and give me enough free play?

Or do I need to un bolt the drive shaft flange as Elsaweb indicates? Running gear, Front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive - ElsaWeb

I used spring compressors to compress the spring, I removed the top ARB bolt, hub/strut bolt and couldn't get enough free play to remove the strut so I also undid the lower ball joint, steering ball joint, etc. infact everything except the hub nut but still couldn't get enough free play to drop the hub sufficiently low enough to get the suspension strut out of the hub. I was also using a breaker bar to lever the wishbone down.

It seems the drive shaft was not allowing me to drop the hub any further because it was stopping on the ARB.

Liam

You only need to undo the drop link on the side you are removing to remove the tension from the ARB. Try turning your steering wheel all the way to the left, this might give you the extra inch you need to drop the strut out? There's no need to compress the spring until the complete strut is out! Becareful of levering the front wishbone/trackarm with a breaker bar, you will put the bushes under stress, as they only have a limited amount of movement.

Edit: just re-read the last sentence, if the ARB is in the way, then undo the driver side, and you can push it downwards.

You only need to undo the drop link on the side you are removing to remove the tension from the ARB. Try turning your steering wheel all the way to the left, this might give you the extra inch you need to drop the strut out? There's no need to compress the spring until the complete strut is out! Becareful of levering the front wishbone/trackarm with a breaker bar, you will put the bushes under stress, as they only have a limited amount of movement.

Edit: just re-read the last sentence, if the ARB is in the way, then undo the driver side, and you can push it downwards.

ok that's great I think it's the ARB so I'll undo BOTH side, appreciate your help. I'll try again :)

The missus will also be pleased that I can get an extra inch by turning to left :p

Liam

do both rears mate, very common on the s3 to destroy the rear springs, up to you though !