Another 8L Track Car - Lets get ready to 'Ruuuuuuuumble'!

Can we start referring to brakes with a bit more detail please! 312s refer to the size if the disc not the calliper being used.

I agree that the stock 1 piston calliper and 312 discs aren't very good but my 4 pots on 312s have never caused a real big issue. My build, especially when buying brakes was about a performance and cost balance which I think i've achieved. Welly is doing this new build on a budget so any brakes should surfice.

Anyway we've gone over and over this debate a squillion times so lets leave it there :friends:

Oh, and I just bought that Turbo, Manifold and 38mm external wastegate.

Reactions: StaceyS3 and coatesy
awesome :)

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't run 312's to start with, I understand that the budget dictates that.

I'm simply arguing that all those who say tehy'll be fine, are wrong, because they won't be.

You'll just have to drive it to those limitations, which you'll figure out pretty quickly.

awesome :)

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't run 312's to start with, I understand that the budget dictates that.

I'm simply arguing that all those who say tehy'll be fine, are wrong, because they won't be.

You'll just have to drive it to those limitations, which you'll figure out pretty quickly.

As I said, I really don't dispute this. The S3 stock calipers are gash. You know it, I know it, as does everyone else. A poor brake set up for what is designed to be a high performance car.

I do plan to change brakes - but that's a long old way off yet.

I'm trying the beg and borrow as many parts as possible here really. Now need to hunt down some cheap yet functional injectors.

What's the crack with the ME 3.8 injector harness Prawny? Need adapters?

Exactly. Not everyone drives at the cars limits, I know I dont. I enjoy a blast on the roads and I enjoy a little outing on a track day but I'm a novice and dont mind admitting that. It's all about the fun factor :thumbsup:

If you're wanting to creat a serious track car and are serious about tracking/competing then you cant really build a car on a budget as you well know ;)

What I like about Welly is he's going to test a load of parts that the ASN community has so far kept at arms length with mutters of "chinese turbos" and "cheap manifolds".

Reactions: StaceyS3
Wiring is ok Welly its finding the right injectors that suite the crappy ME3.8 injector drivers...

May be worth having a look on the US site (vwvortex etc) for what the AEB boys use (providing they stay with ME3.8 of course)...

Can help you with an ME7 conversion if you want too :icon_thumright:

<tuffty/>

What I like about Welly is he's going to test a load of parts that the ASN community has so far kept at arms length with mutters of "chinese turbos" and "cheap manifolds".

I am also seriously considering getting some wire mesh welded into one of the charge pipes to catch the bits on turbo implosion! lol

Can help you with an ME7 conversion if you want too :icon_thumright:

That then adds cost though, even despite your much appreciated offer. Need ECU, need loom, need new TB, need different accel pedal setup.

All a pain in the royal chuffaroo.

I don't have to listen to these wild allegations!!
you are clearly a girl on the brakes as bumble only recently got brakes befitting its power...
point and squirt.. oh err..

corners is where its at as you will see soon... Track project should be a good crack.. but somethings are worth investing in from the outset.. Minimal weight, simples, strip the feck out of it.. Brakes and decent tyres... very high on the list. S3 front arms etc.. nicer geometry, wider track..

Reactions: Jonesymk2

as some of us see the effects of such components.... and avoid for good reason, not for the sake of it ;)
in wellys case he's going in eyes wide open, and others could walk the same path and moan the 1st time it goes wrong and they have to get it fixed by someone else, as not able to do it themselves.. like welly can.
willing and able to fix things walk the path.... try it out.

you are clearly a girl on the brakes as bumble only recently got brakes befitting its power...
point and squirt.. oh err..

I did destroy a fair few sets of 312 discs though lol. That was an expensive old game. I could have bought 2 sets of LCR Brembos this year with what I spent on 312 discs!

there's the clue welly dude...
how many sets of 312's will you consume before yielding to the right decision on the track car... lol
Remembering it will be used for Track use.. its sole purpose.

brakes gone = accident.. Ask me how I know this.

one thing NOT to skimp on.. Sure something tasty will pop up on the bay...

I did destroy a fair few sets of 312 discs though lol. That was an expensive old game. I could have bought 2 sets of LCR Brembos this year with what I spent on 312 discs!

LCR discs are £70 each though, 312's are about £15. Prawn how many track days/sessions do you get out of your discs as a comparison?

there's the clue welly dude...
how many sets of 312's will you consume before yielding to the right decision on the track car... lol
Remembering it will be used for Track use.. its sole purpose.

brakes gone = accident.. Ask me how I know this.

one thing NOT to skimp on.. Sure something tasty will pop up on the bay...

I know how you know this.

OK, advice from all parties dutifully taken.

I will budget for some better anchors.

LCR discs are £70 each though, 312's are about £15. Prawn how many track days/sessions do you get out of your discs as a comparison?

But mine work, and 312's dont, so there's no comparison to be made there.

Oh, and I've been running the same front discs from bill, for 16000 miles, about 10 trackdays, 4 ring trips, still going strong.

I wouldn't have used many sets of 312's in that time either though, as I would have had brake fade on the first trackday, crashed badly, and be eating through a straw now fondly remembering the days when I used to have legs :laugh:

But mine work, and 312's dont, so there's no comparison to be made there.

Oh, and I've been running the same front discs from bill, for 16000 miles, about 10 trackdays, 4 ring trips, still going strong.

I wouldn't have used many sets of 312's in that time either though, as I would have had brake fade on the first trackday, crashed badly, and be eating through a straw now fondly remembering the days when I used to have legs :laugh:

Was a genuine question, but can see by some of my more sarcastic comments earlier that it could have been construed as a non genuine one.

To be fair, you are incredibly lucky that you aren't alrady doing that due to a car related incident that had nothing to do with brakes!! :friends:

EDIT: That's a pretty morbid way to end a comment! We shall see how the stock Vw/Audi/Seat/Skoda 312's fare on the Leon then, if Welly is being peer pressured into Brembo's.

Last edited:
Worth the Brembo's if its solely tracked! But IMO 312's with discs and DS3000 pads should be ok for a while whilst you get the monies for Brembo's surely? Just don't kill yourself. One thing I'm interested in is what will you call the track car? I might start a thread on what people call their cars. I gots a name for my beeatch! ;)

Wheres Jardo at a time like this...Thats one person you can always rely on to go against the grain and kick off with anyone that disagrees :p

Tbh if i was in a position to do this i`d get the chassis/brakes/tyres sorted. Strip it to f**k and then go have fun. Any money left just stick a basic map on it and an intercooler and oil cooler. You`d probably have more fun doing that than you would being fast in a straight line, only lasting about 10minutes out on track and then have to come in for an hour while it cools (open pitlane situation). Keeping it out on track but being a bit slower is going to be A, more fun as you`re spending more time on track B, being able to spend more time on track is getting more for your money surely? C, look at all the people that have MX5`s for instance...Slow as feck but all rave about it being awesome to drive because it handles superbly and the speed doesnt matter when you can stay up the **** of the person in front purely due to superior handling and braking power.

Brings me to the video that most have probably seen with the Focus RS and the Clio 200. On the Millbrook alpine circuit the Clio is all over the backend of the Focus across the whole course. Sure the Focus pulls away ever so slightly on hills and straights but as soon as they approach a corner the Clio is right there again. Its the same as Prawns video of Combe like he`s mentioned. Spanking Evo`s and Scoobies with much more power due to his car out braking and out cornering them. And of course his experience of track driving probably playing a big part too.

I propose it gets named Mumble! because it's more manly. or perhaps Fumble because it's Front wheel drive

Tbh if i was in a position to do this i`d get the chassis/brakes/tyres sorted. Strip it to f**k and then go have fun. Any money left just stick a basic map on it and an intercooler and oil cooler. You`d probably have more fun doing that than you would being fast in a straight line.
you're right. so is everyone saying the obvious that he should get big brakes because they are better for the track.

has anyone stopped to think that welly might have reasons for not plowing 500 quid into brakes on a car that has oil pick up issues and needs other stuff to make it reliable on a track. all well and good stopping like a jet on an aircraft carrier, but its not if the car doesnt last a lap.

so welly has said hes starting out with 312s, so why are people arguing with him and his decision, causing rows, I cant find anyone saying bill and prawn and others are wrong, but theyre acting quite offended by someone using 312s lol.

I still love everyone really, except maybe superK, he sent me a VERY rude message the other day :(
did i?

Welly, what you need is WRC watercooled Alcons. Oh wait... Budget :(

Do you still need these carriers then or are you going to spend a little more on a set of brembos or something?

Reactions: Westy
Sam_:1705561 said:
Welly, what you need is WRC watercooled Alcons. Oh wait... Budget :(

Do you still need these carriers then or are you going to spend a little more on a set of brembos or something?

Yes please mate if you dont mind... :)

The brake discussion is currently academic at the moment regardless. I WILL fit good anchors... However I currently have 0 bhp to stop folks.

So, as per I will be concentrating on sorting the go bit first, followed by the stop bit after...

This thing will be light, it will be stripped, and I am hoping it is going to be fast. Thats the plan anyway.

Turbo will be here thursday and I have spent my evning tonight clearing out my mates rather disgusting garage ready to put the car in to drop the lump out.

Trying to source some cheapo rods from china... However the prices seem to have gone up!!

Stuff should be arriving in due course... Im looking forward to getting going. First challenge is to find out what actual engine is in the motor... The APU head is clearly not the original engine, as that comes from an inline A4 on an 058 block...

The brake discussion is currently academic at the moment regardless. I WILL fit good anchors... However I currently have 0 bhp to stop folks.

So, as per I will be concentrating on sorting the go bit first, followed by the stop bit after...

Exactly what i was going to say. You will have to press the accelerator before hitting the brakes, so get it moving first!

Good to see you back Welly, interresting project

I propose it gets named Mumble! because it's more manly. or perhaps Fumble because it's Front wheel drive

Well, to be fair, Bumble wasn't strictly named Bumble JUST due to the colours. It reminded me of Bumblebee from Transformers, and the name came from there really. That and a bit of Bill influence. Hench the Bee-Otch air freshener I've had in it for years etc.

On that basis - A Black A3 would really need to be called something along those lines. lol

whats the take on wilwood calipers as a starter? we can get here in SA for like 250 to 300 for a 4pot caliper?

Here is the car where it now resides - on my mate's drive!

1.jpg

Basically, I can't take it to my Mums and Dads because if my old dear finds out about this, she will go spastic and disown me most likely...

So shhhhhhhhhh!

Reactions: coatesy
Why is it that even when we've flown the nest and have our own house that we still need to hide things from our folks?! I know I do it still and I live 50 miles away from them lol

Weird isn't it? She is a natural born worrier though my mother, she won't sleep for the next year if she finds out about it lol.

Why is it that even when we've flown the nest and have our own house that we still need to hide things from our folks?! I know I do it still and I live 50 miles away from them lol

Is it cause they care or something?

Mine don't really mind, as long as I don't break the law or die.
I've not died yet. :ninja:

Because you`re in an auto diesel....you cant have enough fun in that to risk your life lol.